Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Help With Gay Gigs - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
We need more people in this thread.
I wanted the thread to roll to 1 or 2 pages and comment after the smoke clears. I held back that first post just to make it short and simple. Reason I started this thread is because its just become harder to get hip-hop gigs in bars or clubs.

We all know about the violence with a lot of hip-hop bars and clubs. In my area GM and Ford plants are closing down which drastically effects the economy here. 70% of the economy here depends on these plants. And we all know less jobs means more crime. This crime finds itself in hip-hop joints. When that happens the city authorities are happy coz they blame it on hip-hop and try to shut the place down. Hip-hop is under fire…

To cut the long story short, there’s a new gay bar about to open. And I just wanted to know whether there’s anything special I should do to make them a demo or if they hire me what kinda music I should push.

I hear yall on saying that the club owners might want to hire their own, gay djs, but I don’t think it would be hard for me to get one of those gigs coz I get hit on all the time even in straight clubs. [so] I might as well make money off it.

Ive been djing since I was a lil pup in 92 and I’m tied of popular hits. (now u can take what im going to say next as a joke or serious but…) When I hear a mix has a lot of popular songs I just say to myself that the mix is gay (no offense lol). That said I’ve listened to a lot of gay mixes from this site lol.

But on a serious note, I know a gay gig has to be different from a regular gig. Eg. I would play a lot of DMX coz he likes saying “Suck my *cough cough*”. That song Milkshake is definitely gay to me too. I’d play that.

Ive hang around gay females but not gay dudes. I guess I’d have to get me some gay dudes hang with them (nh). With the girls theyr usually gay until they’r totally smashed—then theyr str8.

Big up to ronny582 for that club history. Could u let me know of 5 new gay songs that r bangin hard (no homo). i think if i played a song like YMCA, me being str8 would offend some gay ppl. u think? im not suggesting YMCA is too gay, but i think some songs are too gay to be played in gay joints.

Big ups to all those dudes with gay mixes… there’s a job somewhere for u.

Big up to PCGumshoe.

Gio u have funny posts.

Hey u ppl that do gay gigs, help. Say something… say what we'd expect in the first gig(s) etc....

Posted Sat 25 Feb 06 @ 10:39 pm
VPCDJ,

Sorry about the Ford Plants Closing...

Well, last night after my karaoke show (and before the REAL DJ came in, late I might add), I played the following artists, some were requests, all were video: My Humps and Let's Get It Started (Black Eyed Peas), Since U Been Gone (Kelly Clarkson), Gettin' Jiggy Wit It (Will Smith), Hung Up (Madonna - did someone say DIVA?), two pink videos, Fuck Her Gently (Tenacious D), It's My Life (Sean Ensign), Rock DJ (Robbie Williams - I think it's the video and I play it ALL THE WAY THROW this skin stripping part - ANY ONE HAVE AN UNEDITTED with no blocking out of the the you know whats?), and a Partidge in a Pear Tree...

This was the last 1/2 hour of my show as I was transitioning from my karaoke/video show to the next DJ who plays mostly house music. I don't think he's that great, as I mentioned, he showed up late, had to borrow my new Techniques Headphones, and spins music you can't listen too (Not pop, few vocals, etc.). But the bar manager loves him (Doesn't hurt he's cute, but he's already got a boyfriend...).

They do have a straight DJ that works on Wednesdays, but he's not that good, and I told him so. Now we're good friends and he appreciates what I do even more. He DOES hit on the girls... and it makes the gay guys (and girls) uncomfortable sometimes... but hey can't do anything about it.

I appreciate the education about the 60's and 70's... I knew that WE really started club music and lead the trends... but didn't realize we STARTED club music ;0)

There was a comedian who used to say how stereotypes are changing and referring to his son as being muscular, "Look at him, he's built like a gay guy..."

I will say that in the North West (Seattle Area). Hip-Hop needed a special rider on a bars insurance policy, unless it was a gay bar. I also remember in the south (Florida) managers would tell the VJs/DJs they couldn't play too much Hip-Hop. You'll be one upping the competition by going to a gay bar if they want a Hip-Hop night... I would give them a demo disk that has what you KNOW how to play on it... AND I would dress cute and if the manager is a MALE, flirt a little... it seems to work for women in the workforce, and as a former bar owner, when a straight guy came in and wanted to work for me, it didn't hurt his chances if he was cute for him to flirt with me (I'm being honest here, trust me...) As Mel Brooks would say, "If you've got it, flaunt it!"

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 12:19 am
probably not a good idea to play "Vaseline" by Flaming Lips....sorry, couldn't resist

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 1:10 am
A gig is a gig is a gig. Doesn't matter if your gay, straight, black, white, man or woman. People dancing are people dancing. But yes VPCDJ was asking a valid question. I would suggest that you go to the club and listen to what is being played...see what moves the crowd. If not then Google Gay DJs or top 10 Gay Club songs.

Also PCGumShoe I would suggest that if you don't want to be feel offended then you shouldn't announce your sexual orientation to the world. I don't go around telling everyone that I am a half Puerto Rican half White heterosexual male. People just half to accept me for who and what I am. Neither do I announce that I am a Puerto Rican American or White American. I am an American...and very proud of that I might add. Because here in the US we all feel that we have to be called something to make us stand out. So am I better than anyone else...no. Since I am of Latin decent am I a better lover than most(I hope so...but probably not). In the same token are Gay DJs better than straight ones...no. Are Gay club scenes better than straight ones...I wouldn't think so. Just as White people can jump, dance, Rap and have rythm, Black people can have high paying jobs, be intelligent, honarable law abiding citizens and play Golf and Hispanics are not baby making, no job having, cut my grass and bus my table illegal immigrants. We are all the same with different decendants that all came from the same two people. And we all came from the same Creator...but I don't want to get into that and talk about my religious beliefs on this matter.
So don't use so many stereotypes on yourself dude. I don't care if you are Gay or not. The thing that we all have in common here is the love of DJing...

MS

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 2:28 am
And to follow up on the gay history lesson:

The FIRST extended play remix was Donna Summer - Love to love you baby.

There was a gay party in California. People were dancing (remember this is before "Real mixing and turntableism) They were digging the song, so the guy put on two copies and kept playing back and forth for 12 minutes. Now mind you these were 45 records (7") on two record players...NO MIXING board...just volume controlls! Then he said...why don't I do this in the studio! Result...the first Extended Remix...full album length.

Sadly, I am a DJ AND old enough to know this! (I am 46).

Ronny

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 2:42 am
Oh, I don't think pcgumshoe was offended (I hope I am not speaking out of turn),,,but the conversation was about "DIfferences" I think that is how the thread started. I would also beg to differ. I think if I went into many different clubs of many different types...there would be "flavors." Latin clubs I know play more latin beat (at least the ones I have been in), Hip hop clubs...um...play hip hop....Gay clubs have a focus too...Usually NRG.

That being said...

The fact is we are ALL differents...and that is cool! Hell, I WOULDN"T want all music to sound the same. That is why clubs draw to certian venues! We aren't all "just dj's" our tastes are shape by who we are, what we are exposed to and what we like.

The cool thing is we can take a little from each style and make something uniquely our own as dj's.

I mean the whole world beat movement started from people sharing.

I say viva la difference!

Ronny

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 5:15 am
Thank you Ronny, you were not out of turn.

And Madsound, I think you skipped over a lot of the thread... in the beginning, there was one... and now it's almost three pages.

From the first post, I couldn't gauge what the poster intended... since, he/she has chimed in and I hope enjoyed the spirit of this thread as I did.

Offended? Not in the slightest... as far as race goes, I don't wear my sexuality on my sleave, so to speak. People may look at you and say something that would offend you like, "Are you Italian?" In NYC, or "Are you Mexican?" In L.A.? or "Are you Cuban?" In Florida... fact is, you COULD be offended by any of these even if the person asking the question was going to say RIGHT AFTERWARDS, I just love this or that, about that group of people...

As a "WHITE" person, and I use the term liberally, and an "American," and I use that term with NO PRIDE WHATSOEVER for all th BS that we have caused and the rampant stupidity that exists among them (but not the djs on here), I have lived being persecuted for making comments like that without intending to offend... if someone said they were offended I spent the next 1/2 an hour trying to explain it away... mostly in vain.

With this topic, however, people still see it as a choice, see it as something that you can pick the person out of the crowd with, or whatever. Fact is, you can't on either account (Let's not get philisophical on this point because I'm waiting for the ONE person on this forum to chime in with something completely askew to reality). I don't act or look "gay." But I probably wouldn't go to a club that Ronny talked about "NRG." I'm not into that crowd... I like a laid back, almost jukebox type crowd... something that's going to be fun and entertaining for people 30+.... In the straight and gay world, these people have more disposable income and can spend money.

I'd say that there are bars/clubs in the gay scene that would play hip-hop, and I wouldn't go there for that... there are some clubs that play Sinatra... I might tolerate it once in a while. The basic tenent here is, we're all different and there's a gig out there for everyone. It doesn't matter the color, race, sex, or sexuality of the group, if they like what you play and you are comfortable playing it for them, it's a good match... pretty simple I think...

I would also say that "Googling" 10 top gay bars might NOT yield ANYTHING about the music... I think if you "googled" top 10 club songs.... and picked from Europe, you'd be MUCH closer.

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 3:03 pm
Hey, I say take a field trip...and have an open mind. The best way to see what is "In a box" is to open it. You could spend hours speculating.

Take some cool friends (come on, you have to know one gay person) and go to a few clubs. See what they play. You will get the idea. I mean, if you want to work in one...then you need to have a certian comfort level. If you are sure of who you are ...well then..that is all that matters.

As far as being hit on...Well, straight men have been hitting on women who don't necessarily want to be hit on. That is just life. Hell, when I have gone into straight bars, women have hit on me. That is just life.

So, you will see. We have piano bars, ambient lounges, juke joints, leather clubs, NRG clubs, and clubs that haven't figured out who there crowd is.

This has been a good thread.

Ronny

PS

On my time off..I DON'T go to clubs! WHo would want to. I have a faithful partner of 26 years and two kids we raised (well adjusted and successful). How is that for getting rid of stereotypes!

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 4:51 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have a few gay friends and im happy to report that most arnt like PCGumshoe. What was your cue to start spouting off so much about your sexuality, personal issues, and how you feel about things? Id love to know what part of 'need help with gay gigs' is an invitation to presonal critique about 'internal-confilct' and all those other words you used. Gay pride is one thing but jumping on every bandwagon going just for the fun of shouting about it is another.

Can we get a journal of the day you came out pretty please?

EDIT: and claiming clubing and club music came from the gay scene, pure class.

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 8:00 pm
There’s something I don’t understand with the djing industry. Why is it that about 4/7 djs Ive met are gay? And about 2/7 are just not interested with the females. Even the dj that plays at déjà vu here is gay. Smh those numbers are kinda high if u ask me. Im one of the cats who came into this coz of the attention. Female attention to be precise.

Anyway… PCGumshoe I don’t think im gonna be flirting with anyone for a job sorry lol. That’s just ridiculous. That just gives them a greenlight to push my boundaries and isnt professional if u ask me.

Thanks for those songs u posted PCGumshoe. U are the star of this thread. Coz u know why. What would be better is u pasting the history.txt of recent g gigs u'v had. (if u don’t know what that is it’s the text file in ur VDJ folder that displays songs u load. I’m interested to see how ur night builds and ends)

Kramer I’d play Ice Cube – No Vaseline. Ouch!

Djmaddsound I don’t think PCG Is offended. Lol. He’s having fun expressing himself here. I love him. ;)

Ronny what is NRG.

I’ll take a field trip to this other g joint around here. (hoping my people don’t see me lol). 'go there dressed like a jinja.

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 10:42 pm
A claim that club music came from the gay scene? that is not a claim. It is historically correct. It had to start somewhere. The facts are there. Just like the latin beat came from spain or the term discotheque came from Regines in Paris! Do some research and you will find the same answers.

Anyway,

NRG is "energy" music. High energy dance, house, etc. With beats 126-142.

People, people, can't we all just get along! ;-)

Ronny

PS:
I am bored with this thread.

Happy spinning!

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 10:58 pm
Well, you know what they say, "One gay guy is a hair dresser, two are an interior design team, three or more is a disco!" HA HA HA, actually I made that up.

Xeo, thanks for being that one person, and you're right, I'm not like most gay people, at least the ones you think of "jumping" on a wagon or float in a gay pride parade. I keep my pride to myself. This was a topic I was addressing, and I didn't begin the history lesson about club music, I knew that a lot comes from the gay scene... as they say, we are talented in the arts.

I don't keep a journal, but if you are collecting this for me, please forward it to me, I may want to start one.

Posted Sun 26 Feb 06 @ 11:25 pm
no problem lol

Posted Mon 27 Feb 06 @ 12:48 am
"... PCGumshoe.... ... What would be better is u pasting the history.txt of recent g gigs u'v had. (if u don’t know what that is it’s the text file in ur VDJ folder that displays songs u load. I’m interested to see how ur night builds and ends)"

u dont have to copy and paste the whole history.txt file. just the gigs enjoyed playing most. i just want to see the times and songs of these songs u played.

Posted Mon 27 Feb 06 @ 6:05 pm
I think that asking for tips on "Gay" music selection is entirely valid. I lived with a gay housemate for 2 years, and during that time I discovered that he and his friends were much more into dance/club than was common amoung black people in the south(where we lived). Even the dance songs that played all the time were not the ones currently topping the dance tracks. Its just like with hip-hop /rap where there are a ton of classics that if you didnt know the culture you wouldnt be aware of. He wanted to know those, so he asked. Heck, I did the same thing when I was getting into hip-hop djing (I'm caribbean, and dont have a hip-hop upbrining)

Posted Mon 27 Feb 06 @ 7:36 pm
i think its a given that a girl dominated party would be different from a sausage party. sausage party meaning a male dominated parties. even tho ive never really been to one i imagine that a gay party should play different music or re-arranged in a different way.
so i think most of us here in this thread would want to know how different it is.

Posted Mon 27 Feb 06 @ 10:34 pm
Again, I don't see myself as a DJ...

Posting my most recently played not would not garnish what you want (in that sense). I do a VERY unique type of show that is NOT geared to a dancing crowd... I would say that what I play is to be entertaining, funny, and nostalgic for the 30+ gay patrons (even lesbians).

The bar I currently work at plays a LOT of HOUSE music Fridays and Saturday nights... they have a Latin night... they have an oldies night.

I think many issues have been well addressed... Although gay people may have more demands for genre specific songs, what you bring to the table at a gig you are comfortable doing, would be more important that coming to the table and asking, what do you want me to do?

Most gay nightclubs become bars during the week... if you are a DJ that wants to do CLUB music, that's pretty much a Weekend thing in gay bars... now there are gay NIGHTCLUBS that are open 3 or 4 nights a week, and that's all they do.

You're asking for a very narrow answer to a very broad question. I think that myself and others have given you more food for thought.

To be honest, if you walked into a gay nightclub (when none of your friends saw you, as you said you are concerned), and walked right over to the DJ booth, you might get the answer you are looking for here... although, I think you'd also get the answers we have offered.

I'm not saying it ISN'T DIFFERENT, but I'm not saying it IS either... what you bring to the table is more important.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 3:00 am
PCGum i wanted especially to talk to someone like you. and since u use vdj im sure everyone would be interested to see ur history.txt. that's all im saying. it doesnt matter whether u mix or not. i just want to see the playlist. or a real playlist. that's all.
it would help me/us for now. of course walking to a club would be even better. but for now that would work.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 5:48 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I think I hit the nail on the head and that has been entirely overlooked, you go to the gig as you'd go to any gig, you play music and according to the people, you never know the crowd, you play according to what you feel off them, hasn't this always been the basic rule of general DJ'ing? (not festival).

Go, play music, and strive to better please the majority of people through feeling and crowd reaction, really it isn't a science.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 06 @ 6:03 pm
no its not a science, its an art! :)

Posted Wed 01 Mar 06 @ 2:25 am
68%