Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: LINUX vdj

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I want vDJ 4 linux! ASAP! When will you guys at Atomix make a version for linux? I know I buy it,

Posted Sat 04 Feb 06 @ 12:39 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
VDJ uses directx for the sound.

it is a different sound engine on linux, so for the moment VDJ can't be compatible with linux.

all the program's source code would have to be rewritten.

Posted Sat 04 Feb 06 @ 2:35 am
Okay. Have you reconcidered to make a similar program to linux?

Posted Sun 05 Feb 06 @ 10:12 pm
Linux is good for a lot of stuff, very good for some but heavy audio applications like VDJ is not one of them. And since it is generally agreed it is best to have a dedicated system for VDJ why not just install Windows on that..

Posted Sun 05 Feb 06 @ 11:47 pm
Probably because of cost

Posted Sun 05 Feb 06 @ 11:51 pm
its been asked before and there are some incompatibilities from the current sound engine as well as the fact that VDJ requires DirectX. Linux unfortunatelly doesn't use DirectX nor is it compatible although there are users that got VDJ to work in Linux using a windows emulator.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 06 Feb 06 @ 4:13 am
maybe once in the future. I know that fruity loops is going the linux way. And the reason is not that it's written in Delphi, that should be easy to port to kylix. They are turning multiplatform.

But it is cool to have super-dooper VDJ running on windows a first and than probably spent sime time with porting it to other versions.

Posted Mon 06 Feb 06 @ 8:20 am
My *GUESS* as to why VDJ may not come to Linux in the near future is becuase of the same reason that I am a Windows Developer. Linux (as well as other versions of Unix) and Apple (which is not Unix) together do not make up even 10% of the desktop market share. It is too small a market for *ME* to bother with writing applications. (Remember, I am NOT speaking for VDJ)

Creating a product is almost always about the market to which you can sell your products. If you are going to sell to 1 to 5% of market, do you want to sell to 5% of 90%, or 5% of 10%? The last 15+ years of my career has been based on this BASE logic.

I believe that Apple and Linux are good systems, this is not a Windows vs Whatever conversation.

However, if people are so interested in a VDJ for Apple/Linux maybe a development project that could create a DirectX for Linux would be the first step.

Peace,
James Rose

Posted Mon 06 Feb 06 @ 5:20 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Has no one ever tried Wine (http://www.winehq.org/) for his Unix distro? I'll try after reinstalling Fedora Core 4 (by reinstalling Win XP I can't see the bootloader anymore, damn).
WINE IS *NOT* A WINDOWS EMULATOR!!!

Posted Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 2:21 pm
Wine with DX will load VDJ, just not very well. I'd rather have seen a linux version of Virtual DJ than a Mac one, it would make more sense to make a linux one which boots to vdj into it's own dedicated platform (via a cd so no installneeded), didn't finalscratch have something like this? But I know this will never happen because finalscratch had a hardware key, i.e. the scratchamp and Virtual DJ is lacking in hardware protection.

@TexZk, just run the windows tool fixmbr from the installation cdrom to get the bootloader to work with xp. Then configure grub in linux for dual, tri, quad booting etc.

Posted Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 6:05 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
snore buy windows!

or wait for the mac version

Posted Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 11:43 pm
What about ReactOS? Its not Windows, Linux, or OSX. It is, however, very similar to XP. If I get board this week, maybe I'll give it a try.

Mat

Posted Fri 28 Jul 06 @ 12:49 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
lol since when is Linux a type of Unix?

Mac version makes sence, Linux too? maybe a bit too far, if the development was made more independant of platform it would be easy to make a different version but i would think VDJ4 is being made with direct audio and core audio systems in mind (XP and OSX)

Posted Fri 28 Jul 06 @ 1:18 am
xantharHome userMember since 2006
I don't think there will ever be a Linux version of VDJ. It's just not worth it! BTW why would you DJ from Linux? Most distro have very weak support of such basic formats like mp3 or wmv and Linux sound system suxx.

Posted Fri 28 Jul 06 @ 2:24 am
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
JamesWjRose wrote :
My *GUESS* as to why VDJ may not come to Linux in the near future is becuase of the same reason that I am a Windows Developer. Linux (as well as other versions of Unix) and Apple (which is not Unix) together do not make up even 10% of the desktop market share. It is too small a market for *ME* to bother with writing applications. (Remember, I am NOT speaking for VDJ)

Apple is not unix? You gota be kidin ? Are U really a developer? It runs on BSD.

JamesWjRose wrote :

However, if people are so interested in a VDJ for Apple/Linux maybe a development project that could create a DirectX for Linux would be the first step.

This will never happen unless MS makes DX open source.
But thats how MS operates.

Posted Fri 28 Jul 06 @ 2:52 am
my guess is that because linux sucks so bad, they'll probably not release it... :)

just kidding... but seriously...

linux is such a nightmare with drivers, and it's really not developed enough to be a multimedia powerhouse yet.... there's really no good linux audio editors, no dj software worth a crap, and no drivers for most of the good sound cards...

I love what linux stands for, but it's not really ever gonna' leave geek status if it strays so open source

granted, it's great to run a machine for 5 years without a reboot, and outperform a pentium 4 on a pII machine wih linux, but without the large user base, it's just probably not economically feasible to spend the time porting it...

yes, I know there's alot of linux users, but not the general public...... it takes a special person to run linux

-Steve

Posted Fri 28 Jul 06 @ 10:20 am
VirtualDJ will be available on Linux as SOON as it makes economic sense to do so. I promise.

Posted Sun 30 Jul 06 @ 6:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)