Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Shortcuts

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey guys...:o)

I've been educating myself in the art of keyboard shortcuts for VDJ...and was just wondering what any of you other guys have set up as keyboard shortcuts for your systems?

I've got the basic ones of course and i've added Kill Bass and minimize and my 3 effects and stuff...but does anybody have any more that would prove really useful???

Answers on a postcard please....

Cheers, and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Fri 20 Jan 06 @ 4:37 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Posted Fri 20 Jan 06 @ 5:35 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
shortcuts are personal preference. as u tame vdj u get ur make ur own shortcuts to suit u.
to me a full keyboard [with 102+ keys] with properly tamed shortcuts is basically as good as a hardware controller.
when u get vdj the learning curve is almost instant if ur coming from pcdj or traktor. since ive used other programs for over 3 years what i'd do is change vdj shortcuts to the old program that i'd use so that "its just like using the other old software".

i'd say it takes about 3 to 4 months to call urself a vdj professional user. thats about the time it'd take one to make and perfect using shortcuts. add another [about] 5 months to update music and set up cues to those first 3 months to a total of about 8 months for one to be a "REAL" vdj user.

As far as sharing shortcuts [and cue points]... thats a little to personal. i dont think many djs will be willing to share those trade secrets.
i bet u the best of them here all have different shortcuts. and one's shortcuts might not make sense to the other.

i can say ive heard xp10 mixes that wouldnt come close to perfected keyboard shortcuting.

i'd say the character of ur mixes is based on how good uve perfected ur use of ur shortcuts and set up cues points.

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 7:11 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
thanks for the reply, but i think you've taken it a bit too seriously!!!

all i was looking for was some ideas for other shortcuts. i've been using vdj for a good while now and practice about 2-4 hours a day mixing. i've set up plenty of cue points and my mixes are fine for what I do.

i'm not looking for anyones trade secrets, cue points or mixing tips...all i was asking about was other useful shortcuts that people might have. didn't mean to offend anyone.

keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 11:15 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
u can get mixing tips and all sorts of ideas by searching the forum. (type whatever u looking for in search on top of the forum)

if u click on people's names and look at their profiles like bagpus he's pretty much laid if all out for everyone. or going to the mixing lesson forum.

as far as shortcuts basiclly go to the ctrl panel and look at the shortcuts and apply them and go from there. with time u'll adjust them to the right keys.... if u have to redo shortcuts. do it to suit u.

get as many shorcuts as u can have.

eg
for me my keyboard is divided into 2.
deck A Deck B mixer
f1 stop f5 stop
f2 play f6 play
f3 seek backwards f7 seek backwards
f4 seek forward f8 seek forward

S volume + L volume +
D volume - ; volume -

W nudge - U nudge -
E nudge + I nudge +

1 go to cue 1 6 go to cue 1
2 go to cue 2 7 go to cue 2

Num 1 track load Num 3 track load
Num + pitch
Num - pitch
Num * reset
+ wave zoom in
- wave zoom out

G cross fader to deck A H resets J to deck B

ctrl + arrow up maximize program
ctrl + arrow down minimize program

above keys with shift, ctrl, atl or ctrl+alt have other functions similar to the keys without the function keys.
etc... etc...

like i said this is what'd work for me.

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 12:16 pm
Pionora, here is an idea for you. Unlike vpcdj, I use the same keys for both decks and use the "C" key to change "focus". So the shortkuts work on any deck that is in focus. Only thing to watch out for is acting when the wrong deck is in focus. [:o)

I agree with vpcdj that grand-fathering your shortkuts is very helpful. I have used the same layout since 1998.... that would be before vDJ [:o) Just like working with 1200 TT, you must get to know your tool to become comfortable.

Posted Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 4:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)