Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: First test with dj console in a real club

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello,

This weekend I did a first test with the Hercules dj console in a Belgian club. There were alot of people, over 3.000 (!) (which is extremely much in our country). Hereby my impressions:

The mixing went excellent! All tracks kept them well and no mistakes were made. There were some minor technical issues. Maybe some of you can respond to this.

# output #
The sound output was too low. I had to put the gain open completly of the mixing panel. Even then the sound was too low. So I adjusted the LUL (going up to 4.5 per song). By doing this the sound was deformed a bit. The beats were to strong and the sound made a hissing noise when nothing was playing. The hissing could not be resolved, but was not noticeable for the audience. I had to put the bass on the console more to the left. This resolved a bit the sound problem.

I could best compare the sound quality like it was sent through a compressor. Know the song from Benny Benassi which sounds awfully (I mean the sound quality of the music, not the music itself). It was like that. When I put on a vinyl record the sound was much clearer.

After talking to the (Belgian) Hercules crew, who came to visit the club to see me perform, they said that it was probably the problem of the output being reduced to 24 kHz instead of 96 kHz. They could adjus this problem with an amplifier modification.

# notebook #
I use a notebook where I store all the MP3's. When one track was running, I uploaded the other one and I saw that the screen freezed every time. Just a quarter of a second, but the screen freezed. Something I never experienced at home. I guess the problem lies here with the power utility of the club. 4 Technics, a mixing panel, a double cd player, some lights and now my notebook on 1 power in the wall.
The whole night I was afraid that the notebook would crash ;-) - which it didn't do!

# other dj's #
The audience loved it, some fellow 'collegues' (hum, hum) dj's from other clubs that came to visit were extremely negative towards me. It looks like they don't like the idea of digital mixing.
(but this last remark is something I don't care, they who will see the future, will know).

Conclusion:
It worked perfectly. I was much more relaxed and could spend more time enjoying the evening, browsing through my mp3 collection to find the perfect song to mix in. The owners of the club also gave me lots of compliments about my music choice and performance.

I know from the Hercules management that they are working on a second console, intended for the 'pro-dj's'. Down side: the release won't be for this year.

Posted Mon 03 May 04 @ 12:10 pm
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks a lot for this review.
Good Work!

About the sound quality: did you use the limiter option?
If you used it, turn it off. This may give you a better sound but you have to take at your output level :)

Posted Tue 04 May 04 @ 6:58 am
I just used my hercules this weekend in a club everything went fine the only problem I got was the jug wheel is too sensitive the music speed up I don't think it was the hercules that had the sound problem one thing the hercules has a very very good sound card I think the rest of things in the club that may had the problem,but that's very good news hercules is makeing a next console good info

Posted Tue 04 May 04 @ 6:34 pm
pictures ?

Posted Fri 07 May 04 @ 8:27 pm
I used it a second time, totally unforseen!

As a resident dj for Zillion in Belgium (www.zillion.be), we had a party in this club last Saturday. At this club we use Alcatech BPMStudio. A special designed dj booth with 8 remote controllers, 2 servers with RAID-5 and lots of back-up stuff. The dj booth alone costs about 50.000 EUR.

Anyway, due to a problem (I will not go too deep into it), we had to move the whole audience and crew to another club, some miles away. At this club I pulled out my notebook with Hercules dj console. The local dj started to laugh. But I said: "just wait and see/listen". I used it for 4 hours. It worked perfectly! Only one problem... due to the loud bassess (monitors were too close to my notebook) there was one time that my sound fell down. It was like the power was put out on a normal vinyl record. I just started a new song on the other slider and everything went okay.

You can see pictures from the dj-booth at Zillion, the pictures with my notebook and Hercules dj console are on the way!

http://www.lazerhothits.com/spgm/gal/Zillion%20-%20The%20Ceremony/zillion080504-03%20copy.jpg

http://www.lazerhothits.com/spgm/gal/Zillion%20-%20The%20Ceremony/zillion080504-06%20copy.jpg

http://www.lazerhothits.com/spgm/gal/Zillion%20-%20The%20Ceremony/zillion080504-10%20copy.jpg

Just a funny picture of me ;-)
http://www.lazerhothits.com/spgm/gal/Zillion%20-%20The%20Ceremony/zillion080504-14%20copy.jpg

When the movies and pictures are on-line I will inform you guys.

Greetz, dj Elof (www.djelof.be)

Posted Mon 10 May 04 @ 7:52 am
Hey Elof,

I used to visit Zillion every saturdaynight in the good-old days.
i didn't know it was open again?

anywayz... the pictrures you show, don't contain any pics of VDJ.. all i see is fancy stuff like BPM and cd-players wazzup?? :-s

Posted Mon 17 May 04 @ 10:39 am
wikid tee...
does it actually glow.. or is it photoshopped..

Posted Mon 17 May 04 @ 8:02 pm
Last night I went to a club called Nosotros, together with all the Zillion people. It was Zillion Invasion!

Here are some pictures where you can see me using my notebook + dj console:

http://www.3d69.be/ZILLION/gallery/albums/userpics/zillion_26.jpg

http://www.3d69.be/ZILLION/gallery/albums/userpics/zillion_05.jpg

If you want more pictures of that night: www.zillion.be and see at the forum called Teletubbies Invasion (I know, I didn't invent the name, it was too scare off people who don't are Zillion minded ;-) ).

Posted Sun 23 May 04 @ 5:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)