Posted Tue 27 Dec 05 @ 3:04 am
that is FINAL SCRATCH

Posted Tue 27 Dec 05 @ 3:08 am
nope, it's serato SSL.

Posted Tue 27 Dec 05 @ 5:35 am
yep, Serato Scratch Live

short form is SSL.

Posted Tue 27 Dec 05 @ 3:36 pm
I've been seeing this used in a lot of clubs out here in LA. Still haven't seen any VDJ in use (except when I'm using it)

Posted Tue 27 Dec 05 @ 5:56 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
what kind of club is that where the guys are sweating the dj that bad??? besides if it were vdj their eyes probably be poppin' out more.

Posted Tue 27 Dec 05 @ 6:01 pm
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
It was Richie Hawtin Playing in a club called Traffic in Dublin, Ireland!

Has anyone on here like The Hacker? And I'm also thinking about going to see Ridger Sanchez live pretty soon. An7y comments on that?

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 1:03 am
I think the biggest marketing problem with VDJ is the price ! everyone has been taught that higher the price the better the product ! and the harder to operate the better the product ! ha ha dumb @$$es just need to have one hour on Vdj and they will see that their whole perception on life has been way off ! and I think the only downloadable thing is a bit of a deterant !? think a "boxed" version would be a better seller ? people like to have the disk and licience instead of a downloaded program ? just my rambeling on banter ! and thoughtful thoughts ! then I do suppose the marketing devision know what they doing ! cause vdj still up and running !!!
good job boys n girls

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 3:13 am
djkikePRO InfinityMember since 2004
he thong is that DJ's compare Serato with Fial scratch so = play with Vynil.
VDJ has the option but DJ's still see it as PC Playing (no Vynil).
Personally, i think VDJ is more powerfull

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 4:22 am
313ctroHome userMember since 2005
You know, I actually feel sorry for some of you. VDJ is a cheap toy compared to SSL. Sure VDJ has more bells and whistles than Serato, but it's a program that has everything, but can't do anything right. In terms of vinyl control, latency, stability and reliabliity, SSL reigns supreme, and that's far more important to me than fancy features. Plus you (VDJ) don't have a Mac version, and everyone knows Mac are far superior than PCs for music applications. So there goes a large chuck of your potential customers. Also I find these cheap knock-off programs like VDJ, Mixvibes DVS or djDecks are ok for all the bedroom and wanna-be djs, but sorry, some people want something a little more professional.

I'm mean c'mon, name me some "big name" international djs that use VDJ? Anyone? Don't tell me Carl Cox either becuase I call BS on that too, I've seen him dozens of times and not once ever see him use VDJ. Then tell me how many "big name" djs use Serato or FS2 on a regualr basis? I can name a bunch. Richie Hawtin, John Acquaviva, John Tejada, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Afrika Bambatta, Chris Liebing, Paul Van Dyke, Speedy J, Marco Carola, Adam Beyer, DJ Craze, Magda, djs on MTV, the list goes on and on.

I've even seen some VDJ users on the SSL forums stating how they switched and how SSL is light years ahead. It's ok, one day y'all will wake up and realize too. For now you can all play with your bootleg SSL skin in VDJ. Imitation is the highest form of flattery you know. Anyway, if all you want to do is mix on a computer, VDJ is probably the better choice, but for vinyl control, SSL wins hands down.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 8:08 am
As far as the dj community goes these days there seem to be only 2 apps that anyone would consider...

SSL and VDJ :)

VDJ is still a pretty young app, and in most dj forums, dj communities and such... all is about VDJ and SSL. Being on the top list over programs djs will like to use, or are using, is not bad at all :)

I grant you that many think SSL works better for PURE VINYL USE... that it has its advantages over VDJ when it comes to this subject ONLY.

As far as other features, you say so yourself... Virtual DJ have LOTS of features that SSL dont have.

Price of SSL is a lot, compared to VDJ, but as some say, it might have better timecode-use as of now.

Still, VDJ develops very fast, and upgrades have been free for all full users.
So getting VDJ is not a bad idea at all, in fact is the best all-round software for djs there is.. in my eyes:)
And timecode-use will improve, and in not to long time match SSL for sure:)

Then we'll all have a software for a low price, with excelent features.. .with the very best use:)

A new year to start, and we'll all see :)

Other than claimed good timecode use, SSL lacks a LOT:

- NO automatic gain
- NO master tempo
- NO effects or VST support
- NO midi support
- NO software mixing possibilities (crossfader, eq etc)
- NO loop possible
- NO video scratch support
- NO skinning
- NO sampler engine
- NO mute reverse/forward or any other plugin aiding the use ot timecode (for scratch)
- NO recording
- NO rip vinyl feature
- NO support for more than 2 turntables
- NO keyboard shorcuts for software functions
- NO playlists
etc, etc, etc, etc,etc... :) does it even have auto-bpm? dont think so...

It IS kinda basic, but guess they focused ALL on timecode use, and might be a little bit better than VDJ so far. My guess is that its not for long, before VDJ match that and more ;)

And... SSL do cost a LOT of money, and only works with the included "soundcard box" as far as i know...

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 8:20 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hey Rory, how was Richie's set in Dublin?

I love the guy, used to drive 12 hrs (Chicago to Detroit and back) for some of his parties, back in the mid-90s. A minimalistic genius, and a digitally-open-minded person that should be recognized by all of us as a precursor that helped/helps make computer-based dj'ing more credible amongst the vinyl-elitist (which I used to be part of).

As far as the products he uses, given his skills and his style where everything mostly happens on the mixer, he could make any product (vinyl, CD, VDJ, SSL, FS2, on PC or Mac) sound the exact f'ing same and anyone not believing this is either (willingly) ignorant or simply a troll wanting to stir some shit.

One thing though, I'm a PC user but I totally agree that VDJ would greatly benefit from Mac support as it is still the prefered platform in the artist community...

N.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 10:21 am
@313ctro

You go and say that Macs are better for audio performance???

This is 100% false. Macs are the best bang for your buck.

I can build a PC that will give MUCH better results then ANY Mac on the market...only downfall to this is the fact that the PC will probably cost twice as much as the Mac.

Both PC and Mac can be equal. Only difference between the 2 are the OS. If VDJ would be available on the Linux OS as well as Mac I wouldn't see any difference in running this app.

I have tried SSL and have tried FS and now using VDJ. SSL is great for vinyl control and stability although lacks many features I like in VDJ that saves me 3 and 4 decks at a time as well as lots of time controlling 3-4 decks.

Best Regards

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 3:19 pm
note to self...buy a mac and SSL today :)

honestly its all about preference....

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 5:18 pm
The 'mac is better for audio' argument is old and has been wrong for quite some time now. Just the mere fact Apple had to go and buy the premier audio app (at the time and in the general publics opinion) and make it mac only shows they have to jump through hoops to keep this facade up.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 5:25 pm
@ dj-in-norway

"Still, VDJ develops very fast, and upgrades have been free for all full users."

SSL updates have always been and always will be free also.

- NO automatic gain

ok I'll give you that, but if you have good sounding mp3s you don't need it.

- NO master tempo

Not yet, but ever hear of Serato's Pitch-N-Time plugin for ProTools (which alone costs $500), that's comming soon to SSL. It's the best and industry standard time streching plugin/algorithm. And VDJ's master tempo sounds like shit anyway so that doesn't hold much water.

- NO effects or VST support

OK, I'll give you that too, but I have a DJM-909 so I have all the effects I need. Plus all those VDJ effects sound like shit too.

- NO midi support

OK, I'll give you that. But there's a work around for that.

- NO software mixing possibilities (crossfader, eq etc)

SSL does have internal mode. Why would you need internal croassfader and EQ, that's what an external mixer is for.

- NO loop possible

WRONG, SSL's new version 1.5 has looping.

- NO video scratch support

OK, this is the only "big" advantage I can see to chose VDJ over SSL.

- NO skinning

Again, another useless feature. Maybe important to you, but I find SSL's interface and verticle waveforms superior to any of the VDJ skins. Also how many copywrite infringements have all you people broken by copying other company's GUIs and products. I'm sure Serato, Native Instruments, or Pioneer would love to see your VDJ skins, so they can sue you all for copywrite violations. In fact, I think I've read on the djDecks forum someone made an SSL skin and almost got sued by Serato. Sure there are a few original designed VDJ skins, but watch out all you plagerizers.

- NO sampler engine

Wrong again, you could always sample anything on the fly and control it with the turntables.

- NO mute reverse/forward or any other plugin aiding the use ot timecode (for scratch)

Haha, real turntablists wouldn't dare use this, it's almost an insult.

- NO recording
- NO rip vinyl feature

Wrong again, you can do this in the new version.

- NO support for more than 2 turntables

I'll give you that.

- NO keyboard shorcuts for software functions

Wrong, all SSL's fucntion have keyboard shortcuts.

- NO playlists

Wrong again.

"SSL do cost a LOT of money, and only works with the included "soundcard box" as far as i know..."

You are correct. And I find that's one of the problems with VDJ. You can use any soundcard, so how can you troubleshoot when everyone has a different setup? Plus having a dedicated hardware stops software piracy, which you all know is a big problem with VDJ. And that's another thing, who's gonna pay for your product when they can download it for free.

About the Mac vs. PC thing, yes it's a long and tired debate, but almost all serious musicians/producers use a Mac, plain and simple. PCs are for playing games, surfing the internet and word processing.

But you're right, it's all a matter of preference. Some people fancy features over stability, but not me. Like I said, VDJ looks and feels like a cheap toy compared to SSL. VDJ may have everything but isn't an expert at anything. It's bloatware. It's has all these "features" that take away the true skill of the DJ, which is why it will never get the respect of "big name" djs. The way most people see VDJ is for the low-budget, no skill, wanna-be bedroom djs. It's not that Richie Hawtin wouldn't use VDJ, but he'd probably laugh his ass of if he seen it (and becuase no Mac version either).

Maybe it's different in Europe and the UK, but here in America, there's only two products that people know of and use, Serato and Final Scratch/Traktor.

So go ahead, lock this thread, delete it, sweep it under the rug and pretend it never existed.

Oh and no one has still mentioned any big name djs that use VDJ.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 11:41 pm
3 times for ya mind???? [ I modified, so that his post is only once now. DJ in norway]

i think SSL is basicly for turntablists only and vdj has much more uses and options for controls including turntablists. I think in the long run it will be an equal playing field. As paying for something we could have gotten free???? i gladly forked up cash to support to what i feel is the best all round mp3/video mixing software out to date. If i didn't support the software how else can developers keep improving the product and surpass other programs on the market?? I do respect you opinion, but "selling" SSL in this forum will be a hard sell.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 12:36 am
I thought I'd chime in right now so you all can hear my opinion on this debate. 1st,.. as you all know, I am a hardcore VDJ user. I think that's pretty apparent since I am a VIP member on these forums. Like most of you, I've seen a whole bunch of "other" DJ software out there and I think it's mostly crap.

Most of the complaints about VDJ, I agree with 100% and it's really frustrating that many of these nagging complaints are so old while they continue adding new features. Lately the thing the frustrates me more than ANY other single thing is sound quality. VDJ does not have professional sound quality. Period. I'm not just talking about sound quality with timestretch, etc, either. Since I've had a chance to play in some bigger clubs here in Los Angeles, I usually play along side DJs with other setups and you know what,... their systems sound better than mine and there is nothing I can do about it since I use VDJ.

Please do not bother telling me it's my soundcard or my mp3 files. It's pretty apparent when you play a file on a system with winamp and vdj. The winamp player sounds so much better it's not even a discussion. I will not debate this with people.

So after my New Years Eve party, I am going to purchase a copy of SSL. From what I have seen I am going to like it,.. A LOT. All of the features that are missing, compared to VDJ, I will not miss anyway. I like the simplified and streamlined interface and the lack of gimmicky bells and whistles. VDJ seems to be going deep into the gimmicky bells and whistles direction, adding tons of features that have little or no use for real working DJs. I know that comment will draw ire from the gallery but face it people,.. VDJ is trying to be everything to everybody.

There is no evidence that SSL won't go down the same path,.. that is,.. adding tons of gimmicky features like VDJ (well implemented or not). As for right now,.. SSL software seems focused on precisely what I need as a DJ and not focused on useless stuff I don't need.

It's also going to be pretty nice to walk into Guitar Center and buy a copy complete with Vinyl and I didn't have to wait 3 weeks or 3 months to get them. But I won't harp this point, being in the store is just convenient. Eventually VDJ will be there too.

I mean seriously some of these VDJ features, and who is requesting them, leave me scratching my head in amazement:

* Napster to go or global database, or whatever that thing is?

* Karaoke support?

* Automixing?

Yes I know, these features are useful to some people. Again, trying to be everything to everyone. I'll tell you what though,... Carl Cox doesn't give a damn about Karaoke support. But then again for the product to continue to be sucessful, it'll have to appeal to bedroom DJs and Karaoke DJs too. I'm sure Atomix understands there are a hell of a lot more bedroom DJs and wannabees then there are Carl Cox's around. I understand this,.. if you are going to make a success of your company,.. do you aim for the masses (bedroom djs) or the upper echelon of DJs (Carl Cox's). I don't know the answer to that question, I guess in a few years we'll see where VDJ is and where guys like Serato (Rane) are with their flagship SSL.

One thing is for sure though, you can't focus on gimmicks and features that are marginally useful for professional DJs (while ignoring bugfix requests from genuine professionals) and then pretend to be a software that is made for professional DJs. Obviously Serato has positioned their software so they are not bothered with the wants and needs of bedroom DJs. Simply pricing the software where they did pretty much puts it out of reach for anyone other than rich people or professional DJs. Wannabe DJs simply are not mixing up mp3s for their keg party with SSL @ $500+ a copy. I could see them easily doing this with cracked VDJ, demo versions or whatever.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 1:27 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
There are some interesting points here, and i must say i agree with many, but not all.
I always been a voice from "keep things SIMPLE" side of this forum.
And while i will never use some of the bells and whistles... i knew that atomix had to do it that way for now - fortunately in a way that not affect stability (...yet), or the user interface.
I will start worrying if the team continue to add "bells" at this time than correcting existing issues, sound quality, timecode issues etc.
As we speak now, they are working on the new Master Tempo algorithm. We all see the "signs" at the latest 3.2 version.

But, Let's see it from point of view, not just compare side by side.

- SSL is a quality product that does what it said, this is very important but just not enough for me.
Do you know that you pay for an Rme card (RME is the manufacturer of SSL hardware) and you CAN'T use this great 4x4 soundcard in any other software than SSL ?
Not only SSL is locked with the hardware, but the other way too...

- VirtualDJ is the most customizable dj tool ever existed.
It can take the "shape" of it's user...
If you' are a bedroom dj, you can use it with a 10$ soundcard, if you are professional or demading user you can do everything, it just need some time to find the best for you but it's worth it. If many different setups/combinations are hard in technical support, i agree.. but let the company to worry about it, it is good for us...

These features are most customizable in virtual dj than any other dj program:
1. Keyboard shortcuts...NO OTHER PROGRAM HAS SO POWERFULL keyboard shortcuts section, you can do miracles there...
2. User interface, Not easy to learn how to make a skin but it's worth it.
I made it. I preffer my the user interface of my custom-made skin more than any other user interface on any other dj program. I designed it from the scratch using corel draw for MY needs only, and of cource it's on the download page now for everyone.
3. Hardware,.. As i wrote you can use anything
If you are a bedroom dj you can use a soundblaster.
If you are a pro you can buy an RME, or a Digidisign, M-Audio, Focurite... It's up to you..

Let me add another #4 personal factor.
No other dj -live- program make me sound so creative or work so fast than vdj.
The way the database is designed, loops/cues in Vinyl mode are unique in virtualdj.

But again nobody is perfect. There are known issues.
I really wait from the team to focus in these. It's time..

George V.

I delete your anonymous post and place it in here. ACW

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 2:54 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
aggree with every single point lol. you didnt need to publicise what software you were jumping ship to so explicitly but stil...lol. thing is all the marketing on the site isnt going to say 'its only for wannabe idiots' course there gonna hype it up with the name of the one pro dj thats ever got near it. at the end of the day you get what you pay for and if you expected impecible sound and stability for like 100 qiud your as naive as the 5 yearold that thinks a fat man in a red suit whizzes up and down a couple of billion chimneys in 24 hours.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 3:00 am
67%