Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is this VDJ?!?!?!?! - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
of anewsome, got a feeling this oens gonna move fast lol:P

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 3:00 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
No with virtualdj you get much MORE than you pay for, thats for sure.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 3:23 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
VDJ with TCV = 110 GBP then add about 100 GBP for a half decent interface

VDJ = 220 GBP

FS = 530 GBP

SSL = 420 GBP

so if you think if VDJ was pretty much twice as good it would be on par with SSL raise your hand now. if on the other hand you think (as i do) that they are totaly not the same thing and for totaly different markets the raise your hand now. if you are a world famous beat-juggling crossfader smoking DJ you would be STUPID to buy something like VDJ. however if you were an aspiring, upancoming turntablism squire then VDJ and some timecode would be rite up your street and you would be STUIPD to waste twice as much on SSL or even more on FS.

At the end of the day FS and SSL are timecode programs with functionality (like loops and database) added on. VDJ is the exact opposite as a highly functional computer DJ program with a bit of timecode support added recently. These products are never going to be able to compete like for like because they're not the same kind of program. well actualy traktor 3.0 and FS 2 has a good amount of features and and good functionality but lets not go there because its the best part of a UK grand. a G for all you US hiphoppers out there.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 5:07 am
ok ok ok its time to settle this debate between SSL , FS and VDJ ! once and for all !!! .......... after this question you will clearly see where I'm going with this and ultimatlly speak for its self ....... drum roll please .........

Q. ' how long has SSL and FS been around for ?! and how long has VIRTUAL DJ been around for !! '

I say no more.......

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 7:09 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
There is no time and no need for any debate.
Virtualdj is what it is, so the others, demo versions are available too.
When i had to choose and because it was important for me, i fully tested all dj softwares for a whole month. I knew my needs well and i knew what i looked for.
That's it.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 7:21 am
spider i see where you're going with this. But I have to speak up here and say that it doesn't look like you're a licensed user of VDJ so I'm not sure how much in-depth experience you have working with VDJ. I can say I've had "PLENTY" of experience working with VDJ,.. to the point that Atomix and and many members on this forum are sick of looking at my posts.

I've probably sold as many copies of VDJ as any other member on this forum. I play out A LOT,.. and usually up close and personal with the crowd. I tell a dozen people a night minimum what software I use. So I know I've driven some business here.

But the fact remains - no matter how good I think VDJ is, and I think it's pretty damn good,.. I think it could be better. I think it could be more focused on the needs of real professional working DJs, and if it's not then it's time to seek some software that is. I'm gonna keep on using VDJ but for serious club work I think I need to check some other options. Some options without Napster support and Karaoke features.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 7:33 am
@ anewsome :
I agree with you speaking up in regards to my status (will have mixstation3 in an hour-untill I can upgrade to vdj)
my point previously was that VDJ as a platform is relatively young, BUT ....
you have hit the perverbial nail on the head !!
the kiddie's features should have been left behind with atomixMP3 ! and VDJ should have been designed purely for the professional ! making the platform more stable.
The more "clutter" that is and has been added to vdj only makes the platform more unstable where it should be less is more, keep the basics there that would assist the professional Bpm , auto gain, "kill"button's than slide mixers, (good point earlier if you have an external u don't need it !)
all the bells and whistles look good but there needs to be a better split between professional and looks.

LASTLY, I would not use anything else I tried tracktor pcdj, fs haven't tried ssl? they are all made for a specific config. Vdj has got the assist platform down to a T all they need to do is channel there time towards their weaker points.

then again I am only a unlicenced uses I have no room to talk. its just a suggestion .

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 9:51 am
@313ctro / anonymous (same person)

What amazes me a bit, is that you, as an SSL user.. still find time to use HOURS at the Virtual DJ forum, and even use a lot of time posting about SSL here..
If it was really so that you thought VDJ was crap and a toy, I guess you would not use so much time reading this forum about it's features and using even time here...
(yes, I can read the log about what pages you read and how long you stay here.. and thats saying alot)

That aside, you are probably correct that SSL is a dedicated vinyl timecode software that works good.
But after all, thats all it is! Its not the software for anyone wanting to do anyting else but use vinyl timecode. As you say, it does lack a lot of the features of Virtual DJ.

But djs and users are different, not ALL look for timecode vinyl use only. Its pretty arrogant thinking everybody is just like you...

There are a lot of djs here that need the features that VDJ have, and SSL can't offer:
- a lot of djs here use CD - and want to use timecode cds even
- A lot of users here mix video
- some djs here have karaoke nites during weekdays (yes, we all need to survive..hehe)
- some djs here even use external midi controlers as a relacement of cd rackmounts.

You can love SSL all you want.... but the arguments are pretty arrogant, in my eyes!

There is no such things as ALL djs wanting to only use timecode vinyl, and that any other feature is crap or toy! Such views will also say that djs using a rackmount cdplayer are idiots using a toy...
And that a weeekend club dj, doing karaoke on wednesdays is stupid....

VDJ is an feature rich dj software with lots of powers meeting demans of our users.
The features are asked for by REAL persons, by REAL djs.... and you might see them as stupid or crap or toy features... but really, that says more about you than the users here wanting them.

-----------

@ spider 911

sorry, i like you a lot... but calling them "kiddie features" goes for the same as above...

They are features asked for... and in the end of the day, they are there if you want to use them, but you dont have to use them if you dont want to. If you dont like for example karaoke, then just dont use it....

---------

@ anewsome

I repect you a lot, and I know you've been asking for improvements to some of the audio features and the use of timecode.
I can understand your frustration, and sorry to hear you are getting SSL.
Anyways, I know Dev Team have a priority to move ahead on timecode use, and audio features for the next releases... (giving out a new timestrech beta in last release is a little clue, to what is comming next)

So, VDJ might have added a lot of "un-needed" features in the eyes of basic turntable djs... and guess some got frustrated... But VDJ is an app for many users.. .it aims at being powerfull and usefull for more that just the turntable timecode dj. So did that sacrifice the speed of timecode development? Maybe... But they will catch up, and audio/timecode features is main focus now...

PLEASE PLEASE understand that you all got the updates and upgrade for FREE!!!
Now, what can make this happen... what can make this stay... BASIC MARKET STRATEGY!
Virtual DJ needs to have more users...
It needed to get a bigger market and position itself...
So it had to add features that users wanted, and attracted new users..

YES, that might have sacrificed a bit for the basic turntable "i only spin vinyl dont need other features" users.. .but hey, you did not pay for the new features, you got them for free... and please be patient, VDJ will improve on timecode as well :)

-----
And APOPSIS and Dj Xeo said it all well...

You can always choose differently if you like.. Virtual DJ is a feature rich dj software.
SSL is a pure turntable timecode softare.
I choose VDJ after testing all other dj apps...

I am a resident profesional dj... VDJ gave me some features I wanted (and yes.. a lot that I dont need too).. I'm not pure basic turntable dj for sure...

So if you find SSL to be better for you, you can always get that instead..

But remember, it does NOT have a lot of features at all.... Maybe better timecode as of now, but my bet for the future is that VDJ will match that pretty soon :)

----

After all, what it looks like at most dj forums out there, its all about SSL and VDJ now.

Seems like the only 2 software that anyone would consider.

SSL being a pure timecode vinyls software, and VDJ being a feature rich dj software with timecode support.
SSL might be better for the pure turntable user as of now. After all, thats all they have focused on, and almost the only feature it has. VDJ has added many features, but might need timecode improvements.

But I'm pretty sure that will come soon, and VDJ will also be a good turntable program matching SSL on that respect.

While waiting for that, I'm very happy that VDJ supports loops on the fly, VST effects, auto-gain, supports my midi controller and all the other features that VDJ has, and SSL dont have. All features I use profesionally, but then again, I'm not a pure "i only use turntable - all the rest of the djs not using turntables are idiots" kinda guy :) hehe

And if I have my friends over, I might even some day have some fun mixing some videos at home, put on some karaoke at the home-party.. or just chill out broadcasting to some friends, or VDJ radio... Or I might not.... :) Just glad I have the possibility to do so.... and all for free

But then again, I'm just probably some idiot dj using crap features like auto-gain and VST effects, and toying around with seamless loops and other features... :) I'm just some childish dj thinking VDJ is pretty cool, and for damn sure the best software there is for me :) but hey... thats who I am... and all repect to the pure turntable djs... would be nice to have some respect back to those who also use other features.. thats all :)

anyway... happy mixing you all, and a happy new year.. .:)

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 4:03 pm
NIOF!

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 8:35 pm
It's good that we can have different opinions. Here are some of mine. I don't give a shit what other "big time" DJ's are using. Do you wear the same underwear they do? Drive the same car? Cut your hair the same way they do? Don't be childish. I use what works for me, and can change my mind if something else comes out. Do you think your clients or the crowd care what tools you use to rock the party? No. If you are in a booth, and no one can see you, what difference does it make, what tools you use? When they can see me, I can put on a show just like anyone else. And we all know most of the show is smoke and mirrors anyway. Please, I was using vinyl before a lot of you were born. Been there, done that. It's obvious that some of you just started DJing, and think vinyl is "so cool". I have no use for vinyl, but don't care if you want to use it. I have said it before, software just lets me bring an ungodly amount of music, to every affair. I was a great DJ before all of these new inventions. Before CD, BPM's, Waveforms, etc. I think most of the features in all software, is a joke. However, I don't care if it's in there or not. I just use what I need. If you need a waveform to make you a better DJ, I am sorry but I don't get it, and it just makes me laugh. Ask me if I care if you use it or not. I don't. As for this software being a toy, and something else being pro. That statement is so childish, it does not get a response. Some people think that if they say it, other people give a shit. As a grownup, I do not seek or require the approval of every so called DJ, that has all the answers. As for Macs, I think they are gay, and I don't mean that in a homosexual way. There is a reason Steve Jobs switched to Intel chips. So why do I come to these forums? Because there are a lot of smart people here, that know more about software then I do. In turn I try to help others with the info that I learn. BTW, I love the video function of this software, that's why I bought it. For those that think it's useless, that's OK. I am not trying to change your mind. You can use whatever you want. Show me the same respect.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 8:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)