Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DAC 3 question about assignment

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm about to buy my new equipment (this week once the check clears). I've been looking at the DAC 3 and wondered if I could assigne the "pitch" sliders as "cross faders" instead?

I'm looking at the Kontrol DJ as well and the RANE MP4. I'm now re-thinking the RANE as I wanted to be able to use it as my sound card with a line in recording of my "live" show... now it seems it won't do that.

I know the rane will record the master out from IT, but I plan on sending the RANE to a channel in my Onyx Mixer that I use for Karaoke... I need to be able to record the output from that...

The next advantage I saw the Rane gave me was a slider for sources of audio.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 12:47 pm
Presently you cannot assign the pitch sliders as crossfaders or volume sliders, but you will be able to do this when v2.0 of my mapper has been written. You would be better off with an external mixer though for this - If space is a problem, the Rane MP4 would be a good choice (Only takes up 1u.)

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 3:08 pm
I looked at the Rane MP4, and am now thinking against it...

It is a great idea, but I want to have an INPUT to record. I may still think about it. I have two seperate roadboxes I'm building, one for my PC settings, and one for my LIVE sound reinforcement settings.

Posted Fri 23 Dec 05 @ 8:52 am
Have a look at the vestax mixer I use on my blog - its only 3U, same as the DAC-3, and has although the inputs/outputs you require. If you look closely underneath you will also see a small beringher mixer tucked away - I use this for echo on the radio mics for karaoke - and feed the output into the vestax, on aux 3 (I just turn the aux dial down when I want to kill both radio mics - to prevent feedback when not in use)

Posted Fri 23 Dec 05 @ 12:42 pm
I am looking at getting the Dac-3 instead of using my cdn-88 (or my CDXs) in a TCCD setup. Here are the two questions I have about the DAC-3:

1. If a track is paused and the jog wheel is uded to set a cue point, does the cue noise sound like a skipping cd or like vinyl emulation?

2. Which US store has the best price for the DAC-3?

3. Can you scratch on the DAC-3 during a song?

4. Besides typing in a song name to search, what operations still require the keyboard & mouse that the DAC-3 can't handle?

Thanks!

Posted Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 12:01 am
>1. If a track is paused and the jog wheel is uded to set a cue point,
>does the cue noise sound like a skipping cd or like vinyl emulation?

Vinyl emulation.

>2. Which US store has the best price for the DAC-3?

Not sure - I'm in the UK.

>3. Can you scratch on the DAC-3 during a song?

With my custom mapper you can, along with spinbacks using the free spinning jogwheels.

>4. Besides typing in a song name to search, what operations still require the keyboard &
>mouse that the DAC-3 can't handle?

I find that I can do everything I need to via the DAC-3, with the exception of typing in the song search box. I don't even need to look at my laptop most of the time thanks to the LCD displays on the DAC-3.

With my mapper, you can do the following:

* Browse track list and folders (Including browse using jogwheel.)

* Scratch/fine pitch bend and spinbacks with the jogwheel.

* Directly set/go to cue points.

* Trigger loops of various lengths.

* Trigger samples.

* Trigger audio FX and altering FX parameters with jogwheel.

* Video mixing, automatic video crossfading and video FX.

* Toggle timecode and timecode bypass.

Posted Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 2:31 am
Thanks for all of the answers to my questions!

I can't see any reason why I shouldn't go pick one of these up!

Posted Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 2:36 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)