Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Very long path causes crash while searching

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

corePRO InfinityMember since 2003
If you try to scan an HD which contains a folder with a very long name - VDJ will crash and suggest "recovery" or shutdown. The problem was first noticed on 1.09; I confirmed it exists on 1.08 also. See below an example of a problematic path.

Cheers,

DJ Core.

System specs: WinXP Pro SP1 latest patches; latest IE; latest media player; latest DX; IBM ThinkPad X31 with Pentium-M 1.4Ghz; 1.5Gb RAM;80Gb HD.

D:\Music\new2\New Folder asdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\New Folder bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggaaaaaaaadddddddddd\03 Shawn Astrom - Cel Shaded.mp3

Posted Sun 04 Apr 04 @ 1:00 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It is probably just an overflow error, (can you even have a folder named that long within windows?)
why would you want a folder with a name that long anyway?

Posted Sun 04 Apr 04 @ 1:40 pm
corePRO InfinityMember since 2003
I wouldn't want a folder with a name that long. However, VDJ scans the entire HD, and some programs create very deep paths, especially for temp directories. Overflow error or not, nobody wants their VDJ to crash during a session.

Posted Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 6:48 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
taht is a good point, have you concidered storing all your music on a seperate drive or partition, this way you can only scan the one drive with all your music on it + you wont get a whole heap of bogus files from other programs.
personally i would like a feature to be able to select individual directories within drives but this feature has still not been added

Posted Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 12:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)