Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Switch Headphone Output from Monitor to Master

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

KKinskyHome userMember since 2004
Hi,

on my external Numark Mixer, there´s a possibility to not only put all Channels on the Monitor, but also you can hear the actual Master signal by crossfading between the channels and the master signal.

Question, is something like this also available in any of the Skins for VDJ? Or is this possible with the DJ Console at all?

Just to clear things up - the possibility to fade in the second player (like for example the Pioneer 700 skin provides) is NOT what I´m looking for. I want to fade in the Master, not the second channel. Just fading in the second player is nice, but does not allow me to hear what I´m doing with the crossfader.

The fading is not that important, but being to able to switch the master signal onto the headphone is, at least for me. (I don´t have any speakers attached to the primary outs. So basically I´m mixing completely on my headphones.)

Thanks for any input.

Posted Wed 31 Mar 04 @ 7:38 pm
Then i must conclude the following:

You are the first one in the world, doing a liveset with no main output, just 1 set of headphones. I can imagine this is possible, but tricky. It's so much easier to run your main output to a set of speakers and pre-listen thru your headphones as any DJ would.

I think it WILL affect your mixing-capabilities/qualities ;)

Posted Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 10:59 am
Cannonball, you are right, it does affect my skills. But in a positive way. Don´t ask me why, but I can mix more accurate with only using the headphones. This of course only works in a silent area. Can´t do that in an club, of course. In my oppinion it also helps when using a main output, as well. But I guess it just depends on personal preference. Since "Headphone_mix" is already implemented, maybe this additional feature is not that hard to implement? Maybe I will suggest it in the New Features Forum...

Posted Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 12:47 pm
I found a setup which is working quite well.

Here´s what I did: I fiddeled around with the DJ Console Panel which was installed by the Hercules Software (that Green Alien Head). What´s of interest is the fact, that with the Standard/DJ/ASIO Switch you can switch which channel well be played on the headphone output. So what I do is, while preparing a mix, I switch it to DJ and do the usual prelistening (having some headphone_mix shortcuts, with different volume levels helps alot btw). The headphone channel is put out through the headphone - nothing new here.

When starting to do the mix, I flip the switch in the DJ Console Panel over to Standard and so I now listen to the master signal on the headphones. And I can hear what I´m actually doing.

The disadvantages are:
- You have to use the mouse to do the DJ/Standard Setup switch in the controlpanel.
- You have to "leave" VDJ to do the switch. By "leaving" I mean, you can either use a non-fullscreen skin (depending on your resolution), and put the Control Panel next to / below the VDJ window. OR You can use a Minimize Shortcut and switch Back afterwards into VDJ by hitting +.

The advantage is:
- You can use just a headphone. No need to carry around speakers if you are only mixing for yourself. :-)

Maybe this will be of some help.

P.S: As far as I have tested, the mode switching does not seem to interrupt a recording.

Posted Mon 05 Apr 04 @ 9:44 pm
phew :-s if you really want to do it that way, be my guest.
I'm glad you have worked it out yourself ;)
i prefer speakers :lol:

Posted Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 12:58 pm
Hehe... I´d also prefer speakers to all this manual switching, but I mainly use it while I´m staying in Hotels over the week. I´d have to buy speakers which fit into my suitcase or laptop bag, and since both is already stuffed I´d rather stick with the headphone.

Posted Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 3:26 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
check out the MIX Station skin, it has a "mix" fader on the headphone that sounds like what you're looking for.

Posted Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 8:27 pm
@Bambi: Thanks for the hint, but this does not solve the issue. The Headphone_Mix value allows to prelisten to both channels, but it does not allow you to listen to your master signal. You can only prelisten both decks at the same time. The moment you start mixing by using the faders you need to listen to master so you know what you are doing.

Posted Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 2:23 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
oh I see what you mean. that would be a nice feature indeed, especially for those big room setups where no monitors are available to the dj.

Posted Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 9:41 pm
DJ Cannonball and you other who thought that a DJ always uses the master to hear his mix, i would like to add that the option to switch the masterchannel into your headphones is almost essential for any travelling DJ.
By doing this you are independent of how the music sounds from where you are standing.

Many times I have ended up in places where the acoustique in the Dj stand is horrible.
You can´t even hear straight beats cause the sound is echoing all over.

However on the dancefloor it might just sound ok, maybe this does not apply to you who are playing in professional clubs, but it certainly do for us Dj´s playing at raves in crappy warehouses ! ;)

/Robert

Posted Fri 16 Apr 04 @ 10:53 am
Psychonauten,

if the sound is horrible at your gig. Improve it, or just don't do your set. When they want me to come over to a party to spin a few records.. they will have to set up some descent sound-stack + monitor.

Posted Mon 19 Apr 04 @ 7:02 am
hello all,

i think this is a good thread.

i also would like have a way to fully mix on headphones, just because i have a baby that wants to sleep.

when my console returns from the Hercules repair (hypersensitive jogdial problem) i am thinking of making myself a switch cable.

i think i will need
- two headphone cables with connectors
- 1 female headphone socket
- one stereo switch
- a case to built it all in..

grtx,
B

Posted Fri 07 May 04 @ 8:46 pm
Here's an idea I happened to get while pondering over the best way to accomplish this (I got my Hercules console today - woohooo!):

I use a pair of simple earplug headphones (the freestyle/iPod style) for the master channel, and then my earcupped Sony VJ500DJ over them. That way, I can get any mix of master channel and headphone simultaneously...

Simple, but seems to work for me (I have no sleeping little ones here yet, but I can see my wife going nuts over my practicing pretty soon if I use my 5.1 system all the time...)

Posted Tue 28 Sep 04 @ 9:09 pm
ThijmoHome userMember since 2004
Hi guys,

Nice to see others mixing on headphones too !
Here's how I work :

I bought a small 3-channel active mixer and attached the DJC main output to a channel and the headphone output to an other channel. Headphone in the output channel, and there you are. Works like a charm for me.
If you want an idea, here's a link to a Dutch shop that sells it (couldn't find an English one)
http://www.new-line.nl/webshop/view.asp?i=11440

Here their address :

Kanaalweg 100b
8861 KJ Harlingen
The Netherlands
Tel: 0517-418 118
Fax: 0517-414 642
E-mail: --@--.--

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry Thijmo no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Sat 02 Oct 04 @ 9:07 am
ThijmoHome userMember since 2004
Demo user ???

Posted Sat 02 Oct 04 @ 9:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)