Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Optimal Configuration in Turntables and TCVs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Hi,

I put in my blog some pictures for make proper adjustments in TTs and extend the lifetime of your TCVs and needles. It's based for Technics SL TTs, but many of the pictures apply for every TT.

If you want to have more lifetimes for your vinyls, you can clean vinyls with ANTISTATIC liquid, foams, spray, and with it they will avoid that dust adheres to them and harms them. Some computer cleaning products have these specifications. If we treat with this antistatic solution the vinyls when they are new, is better! wipe them both sides. Mine, I treated them thus and they require a simple cleaning with a brush or cloth when they coat of his covers.

Every time you put your TCV in the TT wipe it with a special brush or a soft fabric (cloth). Clean your needles with a brush and alcohol when they need cleaning.

If you do scratch, you will use a heavy weight in your cartridge. 2.5gr - 5gr. The more weight you put, more wearing down undergoes your Vinyl. Scratch wears away vinyls somewhat more, so keep it in mind. I advise buy 4 vinyls instead of single 2. An accident or something happens and would remain without TCVs, is better to have backup TCVs.

If you use the vinyls to play music more often than doing scratch, you may use a cartridge and a needle with handle 0.75 to 1.5gr. You will have LESS wear in your vinyls and they will have a longer lifetime.

I want to add that the weight of the needle must be ruled by the specifications of the manufacturer. For greater weight, greater wearing down of the vinyl. We can suppose that we will have a very good performance with 2.5gr, because a friend of mine uses this weight and uses his vinyls everyday 8 hours a day for 12 months, and they are ok. I use needle with 0.75gr to 1.5gr and use then now in 1gr. (custom to take care of vinyls and still I conserve some of 1980 in perfect conditions).

Important: clean vinyls before putting them to his cover and clean them when removing it from his cover. The needles can be cleaned with alcohol, but not the vinyl (not often). The plastic being harmed with the alcohol and adheres more dust to its surface.

Check my blog for some pictures to make proper adjustments in TTs and extend the lifetime of your TCVs and needles.

Good Luck!

Posted Wed 14 Sep 05 @ 10:24 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i'm using one side until it dies then flipping them over, that kind of like having four copies, or you can use one side for heavy scratching and flip it over to just play like normal use.

Posted Wed 14 Sep 05 @ 10:34 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Is a good advice listen2, thanks!. I like 4 for the remote possibility if one of then is broken when moving from gig to gig...

I also use one pair of cartridge for scratch and other to play it normal. To do heavy scratch I like your idea of flip it over, one side for normal use and the other for heavy scratching.

PS: Sorry put this post here and I have to put it on hardware forum.

Posted Wed 14 Sep 05 @ 10:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)