Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual DJ Pro advantage? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Wow...I just noticed VDJ pro in the products section. I didn't know it existed. What does VDJ Pro have that VDJ does not?

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 2:03 am
The only difference between both versions is that one comes in box.
The downloaded version soon will get to be 249 euros like that Pro version, what I wonder is about the support.
It says a tick for people who bought the download version, but gold for the ones that bought the box version.

In fact the product is the same.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 2:57 am
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
What are you referring to when you say "tick" and "gold?"

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 5:22 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Who is buying VDJ in a box (VDJ Pro) get gold support (I don't know what it is).

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 5:39 am
What it say's is the price of Virtual Dj is going up. As soon as their special online offer is over with. Here is where they start charging for upgrades.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 2:48 pm
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
:o(

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 5:23 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
1. The price of VDJ will increase (as it should), I think this will happen when a few essential bugs and fixes are adressed, including gain and timestretch, new customers will be buying a better product than what I initially bought (version 2.0), so it only makes sense the price goes up so that they are at least in line with other (less featured) softwares.

2. Their will continue to be FREE updates for ALL customers, this is the unofficial but likely policy.

3. The policy on gold members is not yet fully clear, but they will get double priority over regular users, faster response at e-service etc.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 5:36 pm
It's always been weird to me how the general thinking is that "more expensive means better product". For sure, if you compare Serato and Final Scratch with VDJ, VDJ runs circles around both of them. But how does it compete with both on number of units sold ? I guess we have no idea but I would assume, by what I've seen around clubs here in the USA, that in the professional world at least, Serato and FS largely sell more.

Would VDJ sell more in the music industry at that higher price point ? Certainly, if it's accompanied by more media presence in the pro world. Would it sell more overall units ? Very doubtful. What it would do though is convince more people to go the "cracked" way...

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 6:51 pm
I believe the point is that VDJ is currentely way under priced, and changes are being made and alot of progress has taken place.., alot more is being done to improve it's "image" so that people who tried the early versions will take another look at VDJ..

The common belief in clubs is that VDJ isn't good enough, maybe that was true for version 1 or even 2, but now at 3.1 VDJ is the clear winner and that margine is set to increase ;), so I think things need to be done so the mass market including magazines like DJ mag and IDJ take another look at VDJ..and review it's latest version.

It can't remain forever humble, else it will get into trouble.

once again the current price is simply giving it away.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 7:11 pm
in Mexico the history is other. There are many clubs who don't use anything an other who are using PCDJ. Everyone wants THE BEST at the best price. Here I think VDJ will be number one.

I think it will be the same in other places. And the price is just fine. Another solutions cost a lot more.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 8:04 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
ok wow, now i'm completely confused, what is with the pro version? as i see all "pro" users have purchased the standard version, what is with the "new" $250 version? is something changing here?

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 9:18 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What is changing is that VDJ is hitting MAINSTREAM! If you have been using VDJ "FULL" purchased version for more than a week then you know that VDJ and it future vision is at the pace or beyond the digital DJ world. It is about time that VDJ standup and start reaping the benefits of all those that have not come to the table early enough.

My prediction is that if you are a 'licensed user' that you will not lose anything that you already have and have everything to gain. Yes, the PRO version is the boxed version of 3.1, the download of 3.1 is the same. I don't believe Mr. Clavel will allow two pools of users. If you own VDJ 3.x and above then you should consider yourself a 'PRO' user.

As for the difference between GOLD Members and Standard (Online) Members will be no different then paying for extra support and quick turn around. For those that remember a thread earlier in the year, alot of people on this forum said they would pay for additional support and exclusive level of access - GOLD Membership. Well in the near future that's how I read the changes coming. If you currently own VDJ, then I hope Mr. Clavel will make a provision to allow you to increase your status to 'GOLD Membership' for a small fee, by default by buying the BOXED Pro version you get the membership.

This is all from my perspective and hope that I am close to how things will go, it only makes sense that Atomix Productions would take VirtualDJ into that realm that the tag line states so well -- "The Ultimate DJ Software"

my 2 cents - cstoll

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 1:48 am
I don't disagree that VDJ seems way underpriced compared to the other DJ "pro" solutions, however, I truly think that it is the other way around, that the other ones such as Serato, FS, PCDJ are way overpriced.

Of course, this is not the general way of thinking in the club/radio world, they're used to certain price points (prices of CD decks, TTs, mixers and such are all overbloated), and straying from these price points makes them feel suspicious... It is a silly way of thinking in my opinion, just like with cars, when a Mitsubishi 3000GT Twin Turbo or a Toyota Supra beats the crap out of any "sports" Mercedes 2 or 3 times their price... But who sells more "sports" cars here in the USA ? Mercedes of course...

In other words, I'd say do whatever it takes to make VDJ competitive with the other pro solutions, even if that means increasing the price. I'm not crazy about it, but if that's what it takes to take VDJ to the next level, then so be it.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 7:23 pm
I do believe the issue emerged because further development has been requested by the majority of users, development that isn't cheap, development that will make VDJ more proffesional, that's the way it's going..VDJ is growing into a more proffesional tool than where it started.

The debate was how to generate the cash to continue investing in the software and make a profit, it was decided to raise the overall price of the product (for new users), this decison was made over charging for updates.

I think it makes perfect sense.

The Gold membership scheme and latest price increase of $20 dollors are two different things.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 7:52 pm
i think the only thing VDJ needs to hit the next level is world wide distrubtion. The price should stay the same. I mean just because it can easily out perform other programs doesn't mean it has to cost the same as them. Thats been's VDJ niche from day one and i would hate to see that change. I think it just needs to more accessible to other countries, maybe here in the US Guitar Centers can carry TCV and xp10's, you can buy FS things just about anywhere here. That would make a huge difference!

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 7:53 pm
So let me now get this straight,there is no more standard edition after sept. 5th??? WOW! thats breaks my nuts i guess...i have been waiting for my company bonus from january and here its september with no bonus yet, it should be next month so i've been told. So the "gold" treatment then will be offered to everyone since the price is $250

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 8:24 pm
Let me tell you something... Maybe you know about the Corona beer from Mexico. In Mexico was a cheap beer. When they enter to USA they look the market and they decide to rise the price over all the current beers... and it was a hit.

Some people make a buy and at the same they feel with more "status". That explains the Mercedes sales for example. In the US market maybe if the Virtual DJ has a price above PCDJ and down of Serato the market feels more secure with it.

But I feel that it's better to go worldwide and have a competitive price. $129 was and offer, and $299 is more likely the street price. But I of the reasons to get the software was the price, I don't have to look for an illegal version, the price let me pay it.

Posted Sat 03 Sep 05 @ 2:06 am
Well, you can't have it all. It's either the price goes up to become competitive and have a better image in the pro market at the expense of the home enthusiast market which will rely more on cracked versions or it stays the way it is and keeps attracting mostly home users.

There's no way in hell a hobbyist is going to spend over $250 if he has no intention of playing professionally when any hacker worth his "reputation" will freely distribute a fully functional cracked version. I think the number of users with cracked versions such as brenan11 or something like that clearly shows that there are fully functional versions of VDJ out there...

Now, at the risk of going a bit out of topic maybe, I don't really understand Atomix's policy regarding distribution. Here in the USA, you go to any music store such as Sam Ash and you can buy Serato or FS outright. Pretty much nobody has ever heard of VDJ, not even my friends that are big-name DJs here that regularly bring in over 1500 people at each gig... Even at my level, where I have played on FM radio stations and Internet radio with VDJ, I never even got a reply from Atomix when I told them I was advertising VDJ on these shows... So of course when I play next time on 2 different FM radios in october and november, why would I advertise it again when Atomix doesn't even deem necessary to encourage DJs to advertise for them ?

Posted Sat 03 Sep 05 @ 3:23 am
Right now they see a cash cow but if people don't like the price increase it will be all over with. I don't mind though the every day Dj will think its to expensive and that's a plus for me. We have to think if the next guy can afford VDJ then that will mean more Dj's and less jobs. I support the price increase completely .It's in our best interest that they do just that.

Posted Sat 03 Sep 05 @ 3:39 am
arjunaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
"if the next guy can afford VDJ then that will mean more Dj's and less jobs"

..... I think that this cause/effect relationship it's not so direct :)
Buying a software doesn't mean that one is a Dj. If we wanna talk about money, than we all know that a Dj deserves also a mixer, turntables or controllers, and all the other hardware to go into the Dj business. So it's not a 140€ gap between the 2 VDJ versions that makes the difference.

And at least... I'm a photographer, and the cost of a good digital camera is progressively lowering in the last years. That's means a lot of new "wanna-be" photographers; but i work like before 'cause the market push out the newcomers if they aren't good. A bit of them becomes pro, but the other are people... with a new camera :)

I don't think you have to be worried.

Ciao!! :)

Posted Sat 03 Sep 05 @ 8:31 am
69%