Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Trouble Ripping DVD's.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I"m having a little problem ripping this one box set of DVD videos.

I have used smart ripper to rip all my Promo Only DVD's to vob files.

I have used dvd decrypter to rip some ambient videos that smart ripper couldn't do. These ambients do have sound which makes them playable in VDJ. These are ripped as vob files, but won't play in VDJ as vob files. I need to change their file extensions to mpg to get them to play in VDJ, but they would play using power dvd on my computer as a vob file. So far, so good.

Now for my problem. I've got a 4 DVD set from MTV that is giving me problems. The DVD's rip to vob files perfectly using decrypter. They will play fine in power dvd but not in VDJ I get an error. I tried changing these extensions to mpg and playing in VDJ but I still get the same result, an error message and the video doesn't load into the deck. It simply says error. Why wouldn't this work the same way as the ambient videos?

Posted Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 6:37 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think this is because the sound stream in these videos is AC3. Promo Only DVD's use a PCM stream for the audio which is equivalent to a .wav file. AC3 is somehow different (perhaps compressed) and is probably just not handled by VDJ. Someone had similar problems a couple weeks back with a bonus video track on a movie DVD, and my suggestion was to use an AV editing tool to convert the AC3 track to wav and then use it to replace the AC3 track in the vob file. This can be kinda complicated and requires special tools, all of which have freeware equivalents.
My suggestion would be to use a DVD ripper to convert these particular videos into mpeg1's. Actually, if these DVD's are the same MTV ones I accidentally bought a few years back, it's probably not even worth ripping them because the sound quality was not very good and the videos all had a mini-interview with the artist at the beginning of each track, which wouldn't be so bad if it was a separate chapter like on Promo-Only. It will require a video editing tool just to get rid of that crap.
If you do try to do video editng, VirtualDub is a very good tool.... no relation to VirtualDJ ;)

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 6:36 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have another suggestion based on some info I have learned while reading other posts.
In the extensions tab of the setup screen, change the vob (and/or mpg) to use "Windows MediaPlayer video decoder." If you can play the files in MediaPLayer, then VDJ will use the same codec MediaPlayer uses and should be able to play the files correctly for you. I am gueesing that you have a suitable codec already installed, because PowerDVD plays the files OK, but you might still need to install a 3rd party codec (PowerDVD may not share its codec) and the one I would suggest is Elecard. Install the Elecard player (cost $20) and though you may never have a reason to use the player, it will ensure that the Elecard codecs are installed.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 7:30 pm
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
yeah, I had this problem too. All I did to correct it was to change the codec which is used to play the VOB files. I changed it from "Internal Decoder" to the "Windows mediaplayer video decoder"

to do this:

Settings -> Extentions -> (scroll to the bottom of the list) find vob -> click change and select "Windows mediaplayer video decoder" -> click ok and you're done.

That should work now :o)

Posted Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 7:55 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)