Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: help with headphone and output

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Okay, I just got a laptop it is a compaq m2010us and I have a huge party with about 2,000 people invited. I would like to be able to preview a song on the left or right turntable with my headphones while playing a song on the other through my speakers without interfering but i only have one output on my laptop. i would like to avoid a splitter and i want to be able to hear a song and then mix it without having to unplug or change any configurations. like a real dj does with two turn tables. How would I do this? I read on another post about an external sound card with a bunch of outputs is that what i need and if so where could i get one. Help would be much appreciated

thanks,
D.J T.K.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 2:50 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Indeed, an external soundcard would be what you need to get if you cannot go down the Y splitter route, but at the same time, this function is not available with the demo version of the program...only the full version. So, if you have the demo version, the first thing i recommend you do is buy the full version, or, if you already have the full version, i suggest you update your profile with your serial number...otherwise:

A/ the function won't be available...and, if you have a crack version, will be loaded with bugs
B/ you won't get support from the forum

Don't get me wrong...i'm not saying that you DO have a cracked version, all i'm saying is that IF you do, it probably won't work properly...and then you won't see the full potential of this great progam...:o)

You can buy an external sound card online or from your local pc supplier i'm sure.

Good luck

Keep spinnin'

P

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:04 am
you need the full version, or a mixer will work with the demo... and you can prelisten through there, but your better off witht he full version

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:06 am
okay i have a full version i just ignored all the little options of the serial and stuff i never regerster my stuff so that aside i have 3.0 and i was wondering if i do need to go with an external soundcard where would i get one cuz this is my first laptop and i am always used to buying cards for a pc and how would i config vdj to that soundcard? Is there a certain card known to work well with vdj and will fix my prob? i have about $200 to play with

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:09 am
well, they all work, and you dont need anything special, because your not plugging in turntables or anything, a splitter works perfectly fine, its 6.00, its perfect, what else do ya need a souncard for?

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:11 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
read the forum mate, the card people talk alot about how its generaly simple and good is the maya 44 usb,

i dont think its even possible to load the program for the first time without typing in a serial so i dont buy that youve paid for it but just dont fancy registering it. but its also untrue that cracked versions have loads of bugs in them but hey i can appreciate how people how have paid for this dont want people to have the same for free. i certainly dont so on your bike my son. if your having a party of that size you can afford to pay a few quid for a good program that is saving you hiring a dj.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:15 am
a splitter? i dont want the crowd to hear the song i am mixing in my headphones until i am ready.if i use a splitter then the crowd will hear the same thing i hear i dont want that until i have the song lined up beat locked and ready to go

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:16 am
With $200 to play with you've certainly got the budget for the MAYA 44 USB, but this is not an absolute necessity unless you're doing ALOT of work with TCV/XP10's etc. The MAYA 44 is the preferred card for alot of the guys here who use TCV/XP10. If you're not using them, then check out some Audigy external cards which will do the trick. Personally i use a 5.1 soundblaster which is wonderful...but it's your call.

You can configure your soundcard options in the 'Config' box on the top right of your VDJ screen. In here it gives you loads of options with your soundcards, general settings, etc. Everything you need to make the perfect program work for you...:o)

However, i have to say that I would STRONGLY recommend (as will everyone who reads your thread) that you register your full verison of VDJ...that way you'll get full functionality, all the updates for FREE (so far) and the full support of the forum.

If you have an 'unregistered' version, which you 'technically' do, i don't think the function will work anyway, so it's probably in your best interest to register...whether you want to or not....:o| Sorry to put a spanner in the works there.

Looking forward to seeing you as a full user soon...;o)

Cheers...and keep spinnin'

P

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:17 am
no i entered the serial on the program just not on the login info of the vdj website and were would i get that maya card? i live in texas so the closes dealership to austin would be nice

a splitter makes 2 mono signals instead of one sterio one. you can use the left chanel for prelisten 'just like a real dj does' and the right for the output to the pa (or hifi or whatever)

what is a tvc/xp10? i am a newbie lol not at djing just at supported vdj stuff this is also the first forum i have posted on so this is all kinda new so .... you know my prob can someone sum up into a simple post what all i need to do and where cards options and support is located

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:21 am
look on the net if youve got time to wait for a delivery to arrive probs 3 or 4 days if your in texas (its wel empty isnt it?) or look for dj/producer stuff in your local index directory enquireis

a normal multi chanel sound card (like a bargain basemend 5.1 card) will do what you need and u wont need to hunt it down. people like the maya cause its got ASIO but you probably dont need that if your jus gonna controll things with the mouse and that.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:22 am
and i am also just really nervous about this party and i want everything to go smoothly i have never done one this big before so any help on anything that could go wrong on my laptop would also be nice.....

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:23 am
Just go to www.google.com and type in 'maya 44 usb' and you'll get loads of sites...

http://www.4beatz.com/proddetail.asp?prod=maya44usb&partner=google

there are others you can find and it's easy to find them...:o)

tcv = time coded vinyl: a 'vinyl' that you use with your regular turntables hooked up to vdj. instead of running your tracks from vdj, you run them from your turntables (i think)

xp10 = a controller for vdj tracks...scratching and what have you. they are both available on this website...

TCV: http://www.virtualdj.com/purchase/controllers/?id=1

XP10: http://www.virtualdj.com/purchase/controllers/?id=2

maya is the best card for running these.

i don't use either myself...but there are loads of guys here who do.

P

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:25 am
dj xeo thanks for your help and everyone else also i hope the sound card i buy will work and hopefully one day i will be able to get the turntables and stuff. if i have any problems i will post again

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:26 am
hey, just let you know the splitter doesnt do that...

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:32 am
a tip / ring splitter takes the left output of a stereo source and the right output and makes them 2 seperate mono outputs. By using one of these it is possible to have 2 seperate outputs, although mono. using a splitter it is entirely possible to preview a song while playing another one out through the PA

Posted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 2:43 am
djpoterHome userMember since 2005
good work men :P

Posted Sun 21 Aug 05 @ 8:53 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)