Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Setup help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

MappyPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I gave my DJ equipmen away about a year ago and have been sorry ever since. Scanning thru the internet, I came accross the VDJ website and could not resist buying it. I bought VDJ 3.1, but realised that i cant preview any songs with my current setup (laptop with onboard soundcard). whenever i turn up the microphone volume, both songs play thru the main speakers.
Do I need a new/xtra soundcard that has 2 audio outs and will I be able to set it up with VDJ,cos it also shows that u can set it up with only one soundcard, but does not work :-( In principle what must my config be like, and if I wanna add an external mixer wot would you guys recc. I read that they come with soundcards, so that might be cheaper than buying a soundcard that will become obsolete.

GREAT PROGRAM!!

Posted Sun 14 Aug 05 @ 3:41 am
you can prelisten, using a audio splitter, check the config

Posted Sun 14 Aug 05 @ 6:57 am
tnx 4 the advise. wot do you mean by an audio splitter...just a connection splittin the one output into 2 outs? tried that but I still here both decks thru the main speakers. wot should be configured? Do u mean just selcting the correct pic in the soundcard config?
sorry 4 my ignorance...wot I know about comp are dangerous! Tnx 4 the reply, though.

Posted Sun 14 Aug 05 @ 3:22 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey Mappy...:o) Welcome to the world of VDJ!!! Good to see yuo as a full user!

You are correct about your Y split cable...you're looking for two outs at one end of the cable and one out at the other end. then configure your VDJ from the config panel and select the appropriate picture for your soundcard setup.

And, just in case, here is a problem i've noticed myself. I don't know what kind of soundcard you're using, but i've got a soundblaster live 5.1 something or other...and i need to make sure that in my actual soundcard setup (on the pc) i have 5.1 speakers selected, as opposed to 2.1 speakers. with 2.1 speakers selected, all of my music comes through the one channel of my mixer...

So, make sure you have 5.1 speakers selected (if you use that kind of soundcard), and have one audio out from your soundcard to your amp/mixer for your speakers and the other output to your mixer/phones.

Personally for me i have two outputs from my soundcard to my mixer and run my phones from there...but either way will work.

Hope you get this sorted. Any questions, just let us know. If one of us can't help you, somebody else in here will be able to...guaranteed!!!

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Sun 14 Aug 05 @ 10:53 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Perfect Pionara!

Mapy, if you want to use TCVs or TCCDs buy an Audiotrak Maya 44 USB or M-Audio Delta 410.

If you don't will use TCVs or TCCDs you could use any 5.1 Sound card. The SB Audigy 2 NX USB will work fine! (and you could use the built in soundcard for your phones if you wish).

And MAPY, Welcome as FULL VDJ user!.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 2:17 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Sorry I mean M-Audio Delta 44 or 66 but these are PCI. One other with firewire interface is the M-Audio FireWire 1814, but it's much expensive.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 2:45 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Another satisfied customer, methinks!!!

:o)

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:09 am
Tnx for all the help guys!! Have been playin around with VDJ and yes, it is a brilliant piece of software!!

For me personally, I think beatmatching the music the tradtional way (usins pitch slider and jogwheel) is still fun and realy the essence of being a dj. So here is my question: Are there a piece of hardware (external) out there that i can plug into my pc and has a pitch slider/jogwheel which I can use with the program to beatmix.

I`ve been reading about the hercules controller...but do anyone of u guys have an opinion regarding this pece of hardware??

Pionara, u are right I am very satisfied ;-)

Posted Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 12:22 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi Mappy, i'll give you the exact same response as I posted earlier:

If I were i'd wait a little longer and see what the Hercules DJ console MK2 offers, it will be a simular product with only few physical changes, but it should have some well needed fixes, the price of the unit will be simular to the current version.

A recent discussion on controllers:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/14535/Hardware_Technical_Support/Kontrol_controller.html?page=1

A good in-depth discussion on the HDJC:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/10262/Hardware_Technical_Support/Hercules_Live__Yes_or_No_.html?page=1

But if you decide on the Hercules, I do advise you wait for the MK2 release, as it will be soon, when I here you say?, it's not said anywhere, but we get the hint it will be soon, it's already on german websites etc..

Aditionally I would reccomend a traditional mixer, it works great in conjunction with the hercules too..

Regards.

Posted Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 12:56 am
TNX!
I think I need to do a little homework.

Bagpuss, thanks for the info. The response i get on this forum is great! Keep it up guysand keep the grooves flowing!!

Posted Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 8:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)