Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Save loop/cue points

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have been playing with the Virtual DJ demo, very nice, I prefer it in many ways to Traktor.

What I would like to know is:- Is there any way to save loops and cue points in a song so that next time you play the song you don't have to do it all again manually? If not is this feature planned?

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 2:33 am

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 4:58 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You cannot save loop points in VDJ.
As for the cue points, these are automatically saved to the Internal Database, so everytime you load a song the cue points will appear as they were the previous time they were loaded

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 11:53 am
@Artvanderley
Saving the loops I think would take away some creativity of the DJ. To me, loops are a vibe thing, just how you feel at the moment and the energy you sense from the audience. It's the same concept as scratching.

What would be more practical to me is the ability to go to the start of a loop at will, in addition to depending on vDJ's FAME engine to have calculated an accurate bar. Traktor does this well and vDJ has the hooks to do it, it's just not implemented. (see command "Goto_Cue[x]")

Posted Mon 22 Mar 04 @ 12:34 am
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I think being able to save loop points would be a great enhancement. I know of at least one other dj program that has it. In my opinion, it can only add to your creative options and not take away from it. Just another tool amongst many to use in the endless world of digital remixing possibilities.

Posted Mon 22 Mar 04 @ 10:48 pm
its kinda possible i've come up with a little trick
ok

first find ur loop position and make a cue there lets say cue 1
then find out how long u wanna loop lets say 8 beats

choose a key lets say Z

then make a shortcut Z as go to cue 1
and again a shortcut Z to play
and again a shortcut Z to loop 8 beats

now any time you press Z it'll play your loop

there you go now you can Save a loop ,,,, with vdj the possibilties are endless ,,,, and again i have surprised my self lol

ps: it would be better to use cue 9 since its the least used cue and everytime your setting your cues use 9 for a loopable part so when ur mixing and u think ur in trouble or late or missed ur cue point hit ur MAGIC Z button and ur in bussiness again

dj smokey very happy with his little idea

Posted Tue 30 Mar 04 @ 5:11 am
Yes, it's exactly how the shortcut works:

“choose a key lets say Z

1-then make a shortcut Z as go to cue 1
2-and again a shortcut Z to play
3-and again a shortcut Z to loop 8 beat

now any time you press Z it'll play your loop”

The shortcut works in the order you put a command in a Z key (1-2-3) And you can add another function after “loop 8 beat” like: play or stop.

Coyote

Posted Tue 30 Mar 04 @ 5:22 am
yeah u just gotta get a bit creative and u can come up with any thing

Posted Wed 31 Mar 04 @ 9:56 am
Thats all good I to use work arounds but when I DJ its like making love I don't want to think about it I just want to do it and do it right. This is good for now but I would like to see this add into VDJ without a work around. For people like me that plays a lot of acid jazz and steping music and disco this work around may not work all the time because I use a lot of cue points all ready. But let me say this is a good work around.

Posted Wed 31 Mar 04 @ 11:22 am
i c what ur saying but
since cue points are always saved all u gotta do is assign
cue 9 to a loopable part of the song
and when this is done any time u press Z for example u'll get ur loop pretty simple

all u gotta do is assign it one and thats it

Posted Wed 31 Mar 04 @ 11:47 pm
deivyPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Can someone please brake this down for me................
I really don't know how........To
make a shortcut Z as go to cue 1
and again a shortcut Z to play
and again a shortcut Z to loop 8 beats
Thank you.

Posted Tue 10 Aug 04 @ 1:20 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003

DJ Homeboys Making Shortcuts Tutorial

First select the config button located at the top right.  Then Keyboard shortcuts.

Now select add a shortcut.

Choose a key to assign the shortcut to.

The red circle shows the sub menus of shortcuts that can be created.

So select all to view all the shortcuts in VDJ.

The red circle shows all the shortcuts that can be created in that sub-menu.

Now find the shortcut you wish to add. I chose play for example.

The red area shows the last options of this shortcut.

*Selecting momentarily will allow make it so when you press the key for the shortcut created it is only active when you have the key pressed in on your keyboard.  When you let the key go the action stops.

*Next you have the ability to assign this shortcut to desk1 (left desk), desk 2 (right desk), default (not playing) and active (playing).

*There is also an auto setting.  Info will be displayed in the box directly above it as to what auto settings will do for this action.  For "play" if auto is selected it will automatically synch the music with the other track.

That's it !  Hit ok and test the action to be sure it does what you wanted.  Remember VDJ see's the actions in order.  So if you want a shortcut to be preformed in a certain order be sure to assign them appropriately.

Posted Tue 10 Aug 04 @ 6:40 am
sweet i c my idea is moving and more ppl getting interested and homeboy nice tutorial

but to brake it down

u tell vdj to do an action and u assign a button for that action

so when u give the same button 3 actions for example it'll do these three at the same time

one little trick to make it easier

c not everybody uses all the cue points so just set cue 9 at a loopable part every time u make cues

and that would make it easier

make ur shortcuts and ur done

ps... homeboy i like ur idea with the momentary and auto i didnt think of that nice one

dj smokey still happy with his little idea :)

Posted Thu 19 Aug 04 @ 6:52 pm
YSRCaliPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I agree, having a "save loop" and/or being able to re-activate the loop at will within the mix would be real benificial.

I have recently found or stumbled across an alternative to "loop cue point" by creating a "sample". Tbh, I've only just started playing around with this feature recently, but with more practice, it will only get better and easier. The only trick is "saving" it. Then you can load it on any of the "sample" keys and/or use it at any time, not to just that particular song.

The bonus to this feature is that you can set it to "loop" as well as "beat lock".

Give it a try and let us hear how it has worked for you.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 5:25 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You can save loop with the plugin CuesEvent

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 6:47 pm
DJCel,

Thanks for the heads-up.

I installed it, but it offers no instruction how it works.

I have been unsuccessful in being able to creating a loop, thus saving it, then re-loading it.

Your or any assistance is appreciated :)

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 12:37 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
In fact you associate a function to a "virtual" cue (as it's a hidden cue and not linked to vdj cue in theory but add at the same time a vdj cue to have something visual)
So go in your song at the good place: choose the function loop() in the list, then in value 4 for 4 beats,...
then set the cue in the plugin. You have two modes: the first one will only play the loop once as soon as the cue is reached, the second mode will always play the loop when the song pos is on the cue.
Besides, there is an internal system in the plugin to save the cue for the next time you load the song but in addition you can save another config too

I hope it's clearer

Posted Sat 08 Apr 06 @ 2:01 pm
DjCel,

Still was unsuccessful creating my intention (saving/re-calling on-the-fly loop). Can you please simulate my intent and post a step-by-step

Here's what I did:
set a cue point to start/play loop

selected

selected the (1) button which then launched a window of settings
I chose (loop) and beat length as instructed.
chose save w/ file name, then closed.

I selected the FX once again and was unsuccesfull playing re-calling any loop.

After further thought, CuePoint seems to be no different from me setting a cue point and playing a loop (4, 8, 16 16, etc) by a set key stroke, right?

My intent is create specific/manual loop (in/out), save it, and being able re-call it at will, as well as saving it so next time I play the song, I can re-call the loop. I am sure you are aware that at times a created loop may not fit within 8, 16 or even 32 beats and is the purpose of my intent/request. Is VDJ capable of doing this?

Can a "Plug-in" be created to meet my intent?

Oh! not sure if this is a bug or not, but when manually creating a loop (in/out), when I select "reloop, problem is, it starts a new loop at that point rather than playing the "manual" loop I had created. You or a Mod have an explaination?

Btw, the skin I am using is BOANERGES v1.1 (Mackie).

Thanks for any feedback :)

Posted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 5:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)