Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Playing - Not Playing - karaoke zip files

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Well I upgraded to 3.1 and wanted to try and play zip files. I have been able with version 2.x on to play karaoke files if a cdg & mp3 file. Since reading about the zip file player I got really excited. See I have over 7,000 karaoke files and that takes up a lot of room if all were unzipped.

Since I did not read anything that was step by step I put 2+2 together and got it to work. By the way for those of you reading this and want to use karaoke zip files you need to go into config and go to Extensions tab - Look on that tab and you will see "add" - select that and type zip in the area in the popup window - in the next joining window use the dropdown on the window and look for "karaoke decoder" and select that - then say ok and you can now see in the extension window and you will see zip files now there.

That is the good news but now for the bad news for my testing results - After opening up VDJ and looking in my zipped karaoke folder it showed the files and so I selected one and placed it on the first turntable - the video mini window opened and began to play correctly - ok so I then added another song while the first song was playing to the 2nd turntable and stopped the first deck song. The video window stayed open and so I selected play on the 2nd turntable and the mp3 file played but no graphic in the mini window.

I hit stop and closed the mini window and since the first song was still loaded on deck 1 I just hit play (to see if deck 1 would still work) and no mini video window appeared so no graphics. Then I closed VDJ and tried it again and the first time I selected a song and put it on deck 1 an played the zipped file the graphic window opened up and worked correctly. Then I went to add a song to deck 2 and it did not play. Same result as before.

After trying this two times with the same result I decided to close and reopen VDJ and try deck 2 first since I had never gotten deck 2 to work. The song did not open a video window as it did when I re-loaded VDJ and dropped a file name on deck one.

So I wanted to play with it and closed and reloaded VDJ. Then I played 1st song on deck one and stopped the song and added a 2nd song on deck 1 again and it did not play. So it appeared that I could play one song on deck 1 in a row and no songs on deck 2 no matter what I tried. This prompted me to change the skin and I then tried this with over 7 different skins including the default skins. Still it would only play one time and only on deck one. Then with the song still playing on deck 1 but not showing up in the mini video window I went into config and went to the video tab and in the upper left hand corner is a check box called "activate" to turn the video window off or on. I took the checkmark our of the "activate" and the window closed that had not been displaying anything since playing the first song. Then while the song was still playing I put a checkmark back into "activate" and the mini video window opened and began displaying correctly. So I tried this by clicking off and on and the window would open and close but at least it did play more than one song as long as I opened and closed until it displayed. Thinking that ok we must try this all with deck 2 since nothing had worked to make the video play in deck 2 and sadly deck 2 never did display the mini video window.

Any Ideas?

Sorry it is so long but felt you needed to know what was happening.

It did work for a moment - I use a program called Sax's zip file player to play zipped karaoke files on my computer currently but and looking forward to making VDJ my sole source for music playing of all sorts.

DJkaraok
Listen to music and your life will be well!

Posted Tue 09 Aug 05 @ 7:45 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I had same problem at first. But after shutting down VDJ and reopening it 5 times it s now working. Also had it lock up when trying to put a song on deck 2. Again this has stopped. Can't understand it either.

Posted Tue 09 Aug 05 @ 1:31 pm
I also found that my system locked up when loading on deck 2 but have not found that it is all working correctly after opening and closing 5 times. Today I will try again and see if it works now. If it works I will post again.

Djkaraok
Can we really make the world sing?

Posted Tue 09 Aug 05 @ 11:42 pm
I tried to run karaoke zip files again and have an update to what is apparently happening. When I load a zip file on deck one it will play the graphics on my computer monitor. I have not tried to send a signal to a TV screen because if it will play on computer monitor it should play on external video source. The reasons that it would not play on an external would be similar to your computers' video card manufacturer specs or at least your video card drivers. This would not have anything to do with VDJ in my opinion. Now if it did not play on your computer then it could be a VDJ issue. Of course I hvae been working on computers for 25 years and have seen a lot of strange things.

The interesting thing was when I did another test since I have not been able to get deck 2 to work with any zip file with VDJ 3.1. Deck 1 works but deck 2 does not. So I extracted the zip file and ended up with typical cdg and mp3 files. Then I placed the mp3 file on deck 2 (the same cdg file was in the same directory as the mp3 file) and deck 2 worked fine. Therefore it seems like deck 2 will not do a zip file on my system but it will play karaoke files.

Any ideas?

DJkaraoke
Why do birds sing?

Posted Wed 10 Aug 05 @ 12:26 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
What extension are you using for karaoke decoder?

Posted Wed 10 Aug 05 @ 1:12 am
I am using zip for an extension because that is what they are. When I am not trying to play zip files I just have to have a cdg+mp3 files in my directory and they play just fine.

DJkaraok
Music to my ears!

Posted Wed 10 Aug 05 @ 1:46 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Are you moving the Video crossfader from the left deck (1) to the right deck (2)??

I know this sounds too simple, but it is the only way I can see that you are not getting video from Deck 2?

cstoll

Posted Wed 10 Aug 05 @ 2:32 am
CStoll - I will check if that is the problem but I had set VDJ to play a playlist to see if it would change each zip file by itself. Will let you know - Thanks for listening!

djkaraok
It's not if you can sing it's if you should sing!

Posted Sat 13 Aug 05 @ 6:41 am
where can i download karaoke files?

Posted Sat 13 Aug 05 @ 5:26 pm
elite1PRO InfinityMember since 2005
To play karaoke zip files, you'll need to go into configuration settings and ADD an extension for zip. Once you add zip, just tell it to use the Karaoke/CDG Decoder and all should work well. I had all of my karaoke in zip format as well and couldn't play them until I did this. They now play on both decks but you will need to be sure that the crossfader is moved to the deck you are playing from.

Posted Sun 21 Aug 05 @ 6:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)