Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Stutter after about 90 minutes

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jackcuHome userMember since 2004
Hi,

I use AtomixMP3 at dsicos and parties and really love it. However, after about 90 minutes the playing deck will stutter about 8 to 10 times while putting a new song on to the non-playing deck. After this, it tends to get worse (although not constant) and there is a huge lag between hitting a key (to go up and down the playlist) and the highlight on the screen actually moving. Anyone know how to fix this?

My set-up is PIII-300 laptop, built in soundcard using splitter to feed mixer. HD is 4Gb, RAM 256Mb. OS is Win98.

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Thanks,

Jack.

Posted Tue 08 Apr 03 @ 4:04 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You might try any of several things... be sure to analyze any tracks that haven't been played before you load them to the deck. (when you first load a track that has never been played before, you are asking your computer to do many things at the same moment) Keep your mp3's on a seperate hard drive from your opperating system & Atomixmp3. I have a firewire drive for my library, but for a while I kept 100 or so back up tracks on the laptops primary drive. (This is an athelon4 XP-1300, so really it's no slouch of a laptop.) Every now and then I would notice just a slight glitch, or hiccup. It turned out that every time that happened I was playing one of the back-up tracks that I had accidentally loaded up from the search window from the primary drive. I have since deleted all of these files, and have never had a hiccup since. (this was about a year ago.)

This is just a couple of my little rules of thumb. I might be way off here. But it seems to work out for me.

Posted Tue 08 Apr 03 @ 5:35 pm
Thanks DJ Rick,

I never play tracks live that I haven't already played all the way through, as it can cause lots of problems, so it's not that. It might be your other suggestion. Unfortunately I only have one physical drive on the laptop. Would partitioning it help?

Also - do you have any idea why it works perfectly for 90 minutes before the problems arises? Feels to me like something is hogging the memory and keeps more and more as time goes on.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Jack.

Posted Thu 10 Apr 03 @ 3:38 pm
glun298Home userMember since 2002
I also use a laptop for playing from i had the same problem it turns out that the last person was right if you get a normal hard drive for a pc not laptop because laptop hardrives are very exspensive and not needed because you can get a caddy wich holds it and conects to your laptop vir usb cable this is a cheep solution and will give your laptop anouther 40gb or so for storing on partitioning the drive may help you out but im not sure i would defanatly get a hard drive well i did and now it great hope i help you let us no how you get on

Posted Wed 23 Apr 03 @ 2:44 am
Thanks for the info - I'll look in to getting an external drive.

Cheers,

Jack.

Posted Fri 09 May 03 @ 4:33 pm
My friend's computer had the same problem it was a p3 800mhz and it just wouldn't be accute with the wave forms at all but when he got a new PC (Athon XP 2GhZ, 512mb all that jazz)
It was much better. SO what i would suggest is to save up sum extra dough and buy a new computer or update your hardware.

Posted Mon 12 May 03 @ 3:15 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I´m agree with XxNuMbR1StUnNrxX !
It seems to be a hardware problem (for ie, more RAM would be better)

Posted Mon 12 May 03 @ 3:35 pm
Thanks guys,

I bought an external USB drive yesterday and so far it is OK. I need to test it under "real" circumstances, but I ran it for a few hours last night and it didn't stutter.

Cheers,

Jack.

Posted Tue 13 May 03 @ 11:45 am
I've done some more tests and it's much better - the "lag" I was experiencing has gone. Now, when I move any keys the cursor moves immediately. However, every now and again, I can hear the external drive's heads moving and this causes the audio to stutter for a couple of seconds - anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Cheers,

Jack.

Posted Thu 15 May 03 @ 1:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)