Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: OGG Support

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I think we need OGG support in atomix [virtual dj] as it is fast becoming more availible.

Smaller size, better quality.... how difficult could it be to decode for atomix?

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Diggabyte

Posted Fri 04 Apr 03 @ 12:08 am
Yeah, OGG is the best algorythm, it seems.

Posted Fri 04 Apr 03 @ 12:29 pm
More than that, it's FREE. No licence, no nothing to use it (unlike mp3, which is patented). And it is also very good from a quality point of view. I agree that Atomix needs Ogg Vorbis.

Posted Fri 04 Apr 03 @ 5:57 pm
Quote from the Ogg developpers' website :
"The Vorbis CODEC design assumes a complex, psychoacoustically-aware encoder and simple, low-complexity decoder. Vorbis decode is computationally simpler than mp3, although it does require more working memory as Vorbis has no static probability model; the vector codebooks used in the first stage of decoding from the bitstream are packed, in their entirety, into the Vorbis bitstream headers. In packed form, these codebooks occupy only a few kilobytes; the extent to which they are pre-decoded into a cache is the dominant factor in decoder memory usage."

It could be a good way to increase Atomix sound quality if it can save some CPU cycles. Memory shouldn't be a problem if it's only a matter of kilobytes.

Posted Fri 04 Apr 03 @ 6:14 pm
Grimm ... where are you ?

Posted Sat 05 Apr 03 @ 7:47 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm here. But as good as OGG is, I dont see it getting the support it really needs. mp3 is pretty much the accepted standard and part of pratically anything software music related. Now that the "norms" of the world have accepted it, it will very difficult to get them to change thier views and accept a new encoding scheme.

Grimm

Posted Sat 05 Apr 03 @ 1:05 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
OGG doesn't seem like a big of enough step forward from MP3 to make it worth transfering to. MP3s encoded with LAME at 192 and higher is still hard to beat.

Posted Sat 05 Apr 03 @ 7:34 pm
I don't know how big abnorms hard disks are (mine are filling up with mp3's at a scary rate) but I reakon that an Ogg file encoded at 95 kbs beats an mp3 encoded at 192kbs (BETTER QUALITY HALF THE SIZE) any way you look at it......I'm sure only the Iraqi Ministry of Information would be pathetic enough to argue this one out to its logical conclusion ...
MP3 codec is nearly 10 years old now.... Its time to move on.....

Posted Sat 05 Apr 03 @ 11:27 pm
brockybwoy, next time do some research before you make a totally incorrect statement like that.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 03 @ 3:15 am
Is it too complex to add support? We have support for WMA....which claims to be half-the-size, smae quality as a 128kbit MP3. I know that the algorythims are completely different, but would it really require a re-writing of the engine?

I just think atomix should be as receptive to different sound encoding schemes as possible.

You look at most mp3 hardware on the market, and they all include updateable software to cope with newer encoding algorythms.

I just think atomix should create a bank that is upgradeable for as other audio compression formats as possible. (MP3 Pro, OGG, etc.) Not to say that any of these have a significant benefit over the others (MP3 Pro sucks for example) But it would be beneficial to play just about anything you get your hands on, because sometimes you don't have a choice. (although conversion is sometimes an option)

Regards,
Diggabyte

Posted Sun 06 Apr 03 @ 6:29 am

Posted Sun 06 Apr 03 @ 9:24 pm
Would be nice if Atomixmp3 supported output plugins like Winamp, that would make things much easier.

Posted Mon 07 Apr 03 @ 12:56 am
ok i dont have an idea what is that.As i understand someone has a space problem in his pc.So my suggestion is to clean the hard drive from stupid mp3s or even buy a new drive.its cheap now.I dont think that 120gb of music coded in mp3 form (192) is not enough for playing 6-8 hours a day.Come on guys dont ask from programer to loose his time on creating something that we really dont need.If ogg will be so popular as mp3 be sure that the change will be done.But i think that ogg will have the same end like mp3pro.

Posted Mon 07 Apr 03 @ 2:16 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)