Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Audigy 2: Is it safe?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

av-danoHome userMember since 2003
You probably have read my problems with the Audigy card. (it skips like a mad-man after eating way too much sugar)

Gotta replace the card.

Lots of posts saying "Try new drivers" - but no new drivers for "Audigy" - just "Audigy 2".

So - is it safe to use an Audigy 2? Anybody getting skips with this card?

Another card that people are posting seems to be the "terratec dmx6 fire" - but I can't find it. I see a "Fire 96/24" that sells for $300 (yow!) and a "DMX6 fire LT" that is cheaper. any good news on that?

Just looking for a decent 4/channel soundcard that wont skip. :-(

Thanks - I am going to go mope in a corner now.
Dano

Posted Mon 24 Mar 03 @ 9:10 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have both Audigy2 and DMX 6Fire. Audigy2 skipping has been fixed with the latest drivers and DMX 6Fire works perfectly.

Posted Mon 24 Mar 03 @ 9:35 am
av-danoHome userMember since 2003
Was that a DMX fire6 24/96? Or the older DMX Fire6?
(Has anybody tested the 24/96?)

Which do you prefer? (soundwise - I am betting it's the DMX Fire6)

Posted Sat 29 Mar 03 @ 6:04 pm
There is only one Terratec DMX 6Fire as far as I know, and yes I do prefer its music sound quality over Audigy2.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 03 @ 2:39 am
Sorry you, are right it is Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96. I've had it less then a year.

Posted Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 7:01 pm
I've been using a Soundblaster Audigy wiyh Atomix (with WDM drivers installed ) and have been dissapointed with crackling heard when using pitch bend to match tracks....

Out of intersest I installed a cheap 5 pound CMI chip based
3DPCI card......(purchased online from EBuyer.com)...which was bought for my girlfreinds work pc so she could listen to mp3's...
Although the output level from the card is slightly lower than the Audigy there is no discernable difference in the sound quality except that with the CMI chipset there is no crackle when pitchbending....

I would not hesitate to recommend one of these cards to anyone wanting quality playback from atomix without all the frills and problems associated with the live/audigy line of cards....

NB the card works great in Traktor too...(No Asio though ...not really surprising as it's only a fiver!!!)..

Posted Wed 09 Apr 03 @ 12:19 pm
Here are my experiences:

I recently purchased a Audigy 2 and Atomixmp3 started skipping. Not very often, but enough to be very annoying.
To make a long story short, the latest patch from Creative fixed the problem. For more info keep reading.

Before I upgraded I had a SB Live, DX8 on Win2000 Pro and it never skipped. I formatted my drive and installed WinXP so I could have a clean OS and then I installed the SB Audigy 2. Then the skipping started. I tried many things like making the Atomixmp3 process priority from average to high and upgrading DirectX from 8 to 9, but it still skipped. Once I applied the Creative patch for Audigy 2 the problem was fixed. No skipping anymore.

Also to add, speaker out and headphone for cueing on the single sound card has worked for me in every configuration. For the SB Live I had to have the software installed not just the drivers in order to get rear output (and therefore headphones) to work.

Also note, if you have good speakers you can definitely hear the difference between the Live and Audigy 2, the Audigy 2 sounds much better and I am glad I upgraded. If your speakers suck then you probably wont notice much of a difference.

Hope that info helps.

Posted Mon 26 May 03 @ 9:21 pm
stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all

Everyone seems to have problems with audigy but i have been using it together with a extigy on Win 2000 with no problems for some time now..

Also use win XP on lapy with onboard avance soundcard and extigy ..again no problems

Desktop is 2.14ghz 1024mb ram and Geforce 4 graphics card
Lapy 1.8ghz 512mb DDR ram

Music in both cases on external 120gb firewire harddrive..

Haven't bothered upgrading to Audigy 2...

Stu

Posted Sat 07 Jun 03 @ 2:13 pm
OddBallHome userMember since 2003
Hi there !!!

Have you tested these drivers

http://kxproject.spb.ru/index.php?skip=1

i think trying it can solve your problems.

I don't know my self since i'm only using the demo
version, but i heard that it helped PcDj users,
so just try it.

Posted Tue 10 Jun 03 @ 3:44 pm
I'll add my comment here - had skipping problems with Audigy, after reading some posts here I marched to shop and bought Audigy2 Platinum ex, downloaded and installed latest drivers, and magically haven't been able to reproduce the skipping problem, so it seems it's a working solution.

Posted Sat 14 Jun 03 @ 10:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)