Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Song Scanning Problem

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

xealHome userMember since 2004
I have a lot of mixes in hour long mp3s, many of these contain various remixes of mine which I -NEED- in my profesional mixing. However when I add one of these long mp3s to a deck and then attempt for forward past the portion already scanned... it skips. I have scads of RAM so I know that's not the issue here. I read the FAQ which states to wait until the song is scanned... however this is not an option, i need to be able to forward to specific parts of each mp3, and there are too many (100+) for it to be economical to break them apart back into smaller files.

Atomix had no problems with my skipping ahead (I am also trying that out) and I would use that, except for the vast potential of Virtual DJ by comparison.

Is there any way to disable song scanning, or eliminate skipping if I attempt to go beyond the point it has scanned? If there is no way around this problem, I'm afraid I will have to either settle for Atomix or go back to my 'real' decks.

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 3:13 am
In the option of VDJ, put "max load" to "never" . And remember for decompress one hour song in 1 deck with VDJ, you need 650-700 mb of ram...

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 3:18 am
That helps a little... but doesn't entirely eliminate the problem. I have 768 MB of RAM... one would think that should be enough to load a 60 MB file X_x.

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 3:30 am
What is your configuration ?

What is the version of VDJ you use ?

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 3:40 am
Athlon XP 2000+
768 MB PC2100 RAM
ECS K7S5A Motherboard
Geforce 3 Ti200
Sound Blaster LIve Platinum
one 20 GB, one 40 GB and one 60 GB (hard drives)
Hitachi DVD and Sony CD-RW

(this machine has no network connection and is running on a minimalistic fresh install of Windows XP)

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 4:00 am
And I am using the 1.08 Trial of VDJ (if this is a solveable problem I'll probably buy the full)

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 4:01 am
Be sure you have the last version of DirectX (9.0b) and Windows media player (WMP9) installed. Also, the last driver for your hardware can help.

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 4:12 am
Will try in a sec... you said "decompress" I am assuming this means VDJ converts the mp3 to wav directly, unlike atomix which just plays it... I have considerable hard disk space... if this doesn't solve the problem would converting the large mixes to wav eliminate the need to decompress in real time?

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 4:22 am
Yes, VDJ converts the mp3 to wav directly, but I don’t think it’s a good solution for you to use a wave song if the last DirectX and the other update don’t work.

I have an Athlon XP1800, 768 MB DDR ram, Asus A7V333 motherboard with GE Force and SoundBlaster too, and I never had any skip in song (but I never use a 60 m. song, I use a 30m. max, with my “max load” at 15 m.) This configuration run in club 4 nights a week since first of July 2003 without problem.

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 4:42 am
Well the directx upgrade helped a little as well.. but the skip is still there.

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 5:46 am
I don't think it's the RAM that's the problem... I think the problem is that it's decompressing the file. This action only takes a tiny amount of time for normal mp3s so playback is never affected.... fast machines would even handle larger files like you mentioned... but maybe 60 mins is too much for it?

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 6:19 am
Unrelated to the technical issues... how has VDJ worked for you in a club environment? It's been almost a year since I've mixed live, and I am getting back into it now.. but don't have the pile of hardware i used to.. figured i might was well start with Atomix or VDJ... But I have no idea what clubbers actually think of a Digital DJ?

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 6:33 am
Note: I just fixed this problem. Turns out converting my larger songs to wav files works. I assume this is because there is no decompressing going on... so there is less CPU load. Anyone with song skips on larger songs may want to try this.

Posted Sun 08 Feb 04 @ 11:14 pm
Thanks for the tips! :)

Posted Mon 09 Feb 04 @ 3:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)