Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: music stops playing but atomix is still runnig

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mabalaHome userMember since 2002
I've been working on a laptop with win xp, 256mb of ram, a 20Gb HD, 1.3Mhz and an external usb sound card - creative's extigy.
Though Iv'e been playing with this arrangement for quite a while without problem - Latley in some of the gigs I play the music stops playing. Atomix keeps running as if it's still playing, the sound card is still on but there's no sound.
When I shut the card down, and then the program - and the reconnect the card and then run atomix again- everything works just fine.
My assumption is that somehow it's a power problem - when my laptop runs on a battery it doesnt happen, but when I connect the laptop back to the power supply, the problem reappears (sometimes immidiately, sometimes after a while).
The problems reaccured in two different places with different sound setups, though it doesn't happen at home!
Could it be power surges that cause the problem? Any insights?

Thank you!

Yotam

Posted Tue 25 Feb 03 @ 10:04 pm
PerozPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You could check you battery drivers: i'm also using windows xp (home edition) with my notebook and i haven't problems with the charge.
There isn't an electrical problem (from the building) if your accumulator gives the right charge to your notebook and it works...
Do defrag or format: you operating system could be damaged.

Peroz

Posted Wed 26 Feb 03 @ 12:37 pm
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I dont know how laptops work, but I'm going to throw in my 2 cents.

If it happens only when you use the adapter, there may be a possibility that when the unit switches from internal power to external power/recharge, it causes a very quick disconnect of the USB bus. That small "burp" in the power could be enough to knock the Extigy offline, yet not have any error window popup.

I really wouldn't know how to test that other then having another program running, like Winamp, and have it constantly playing sound. You would then hookup your power plug like normal and then see if the same problem occurs again.

If that does seem to be the problem though, I really wouldn't have any ideas how to fix it, other then to get a new battery or power plug (the whole unit) and see if the problem goes away. Both pretty expensive fixes if thats what you have to do. :(

Grimm

Posted Wed 26 Feb 03 @ 8:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)