Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A theory - plz read and comment

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Just my 2 cents on the sound quality issues I've been reading about throughout the forums.

First off, I see lots of people suffering from skipping, etc. Sorry guys I don't get this prob, nor the pitching prob I've read about.

Anyway here goes my theory. I reckon that these problems come about because everyone is using crap soundcards like the Sb live! and even worse the sb live! value. Creative really is crap, I know I once had a sb live! By the way I had great fun smashing it too bits, hehe.

The cpu probably only plays a small part in the functioning of Atomix, its the sound card that u should look too for the problems like skipping, minor pauses, pitching problems.

For instance u may have the best comp in the world 3 ghz say. Yet if u load up Quake 3 and crank the graphics you'd probably experience crappy framerates if you just used a crap graphics card like a std vga thing. However whack a decent video card in your 3ghz comp like a geforce 3 and Q3 will run sweetly. I believe its the same thing with soundcards. Think about it...

I'm running a Terratec DMX 6 Fire and although I spose I can't really notice much of a diff in sound quality (although it is much better, even in Atomix) the hardware acceleration of the card processes the sound properly. So I mean get yourself like a decent soundcard, spend a few hundred dollars on one and u should eliminate those sound quality skipping probs etc. I'm talking Aussie dollars here.

Before when I used the live! *God forbid* not only was the sound pretty dodgy but the beats used to drift. Now they still drift but it is very minimal and i don't have to constantly be adjusting the pitch like i used too. Sound quality is also better.

Ok, some other things too try to fix your current soundcard
- if u have network card and your not using it - disable the mofo, LOL as it may interfere and cause skipping.

- look at the settings for your soundcard under control panel, r u running at the best possible sample rate? hardware acceleration? These options vary and r called diff things on diff windows, ie 98 is diff to xp I know. When running Atomix I crank these all up too max and found it too work the best for me. However when running winamp, I found I have too nudge the acceleration down a bit or I'll get skips in my sound. Dunno why though LOL. So experiment with these options.

Also u need latest drivers for everything I mean everything in your system

try a good old format just for the hell of it, might fix something 2nd time round

Ok thats it from me.
Presently , Atomix is running the best it ever has. I'm Mixing really well, with good sound quality, barely a drifting beat which used too piss me off, and am doing a party next week :)

Later, Kev
---@---.---
- it would be best to post a reply

I'm running 2.1 Haven't been bothered to get 2.1.1
Amd 1.4ghz, 512mg ram, Win 98SE, Terratec DMX 6 Fire which uses WDM drivers

Posted Tue 29 Oct 02 @ 8:41 pm
Also when running Atomix, make sure you're solely running Atomix. Make sure no background stuff is also running as it make cause a hiccup, resulting in sound issues.

Posted Tue 29 Oct 02 @ 8:44 pm
I am using an SB Live! too, I am experiencing NO skipping problems whatsoever ?!! As for sound quality, creative is not top-of-the-line but I would not consider it garbage. The quality is better than some of the other cards Ive tried. I think spending over 100 dollards on a sound card is a waste of money ... How much bigger of a difference can it make ? I'd be better off buying a better AMP/Speakers ... thats where sound quality makes a TOTAL difference.

I am running:
Duron 800
384 ram
8 MB AGP
Dual boot 2000 XP
SB Live! soundcard

With ALL the latest drivers with nothing else running in the back and the thing runs like a wet dream ! No skipping, drifting !

Posted Wed 30 Oct 02 @ 3:24 am
Brian CHome userMember since 2001
I'm also using the SBlive with no complaints, I'm completely happy with my setup. I've no intention of changing my soundcard.

PIII 1ghz
512mb ram
32mb TNT graphics
SBlive
external mixer

I run a multi-boot system, I have a dedicated partition for Atomix only. This has a bare win98 with minimum drivers enabled and only Atomix installed.

Posted Wed 30 Oct 02 @ 10:29 am
I find its when my laptop starts getting hot. If its been on all day, say. Then I get skips every couple of minutes.

Posted Thu 31 Oct 02 @ 2:31 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
OK... I am also using Terratec DMX 6Fire. I upgraded it from a Philips AE soundcard. Had the same pitch problem on both soundcards. The only difference that I can see is the OS. Most people here use either Win 2000 or XP, and you are on 98. (Talk about getting behind times) LOL... Seriously, I know that the WDM drivers differ in many ways from regular 98's drivers. That might just be the problem, or you guys are all deaf! LOL Just kidding.

Posted Thu 31 Oct 02 @ 9:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)