Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Skipping Problems

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How can i stop my songs from skipping.

I have the full version of the software & my computer specs are:-

Windows Me
800 mhz
64 mb
20 gb
1 soundcard -(No idea on make)

Posted Sat 20 Apr 02 @ 3:48 pm
I'd go get some more RAM-memory..
64Mb RAM is what I had in my Intel 486-PC ages ago... come to think of it.. that has to be the memory of your videocard, right?
I'm surprised that Windows Me even starts up on 64Mb RAM if that's the case.. the more RAM, the faster and smoother your system will be (up to a certain level ver more RAM won't do any difference at all)

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional and I have a PentiumIII 900Mhz and I think my 128 Mb of RAM is a too damn little..
but still Atomix runs smooth on my machine..

As an example my machine has an overall memoryusage of about 190 Mb with just Winamp, this browser-window and Photoshop running on it.. that's about 60 Mb more than the 128 Mb RAM in my machine...
These 60Mb of memory are placed in the systems swap-file on the harddrive which puts a LOT of unneccesary load on the harddrive which has to work a lot more (may cause temporary problems reading other files, such as your MP3's).

What's even worse for the system performance is that the usage of the swap-file on the harddrive is extremely slow compared to physical RAM-memory access so that slows the processing of data down as well..

This is why I feel that 128 Mb is by FAR too little RAM for my system.. 64 Mb is even worse..
(but I have a feeling that noone delivers an 800Mhz processor with just 64 Mb of RAM.. do they?)

Check your system performance information.. ( in the Task Manager.. which I hope is available in Windows Me) and see if it might be memory-problems or possibly problems with memoryswapping(=diskaccess).

..that might be of help... or maybe not.. just a helpful tip..

Posted Sat 20 Apr 02 @ 4:16 pm
89jettaHome userMember since 2002
I'm pretty sure that most of the skipping problems go back to the video drivers, my system is pretty tweaked, and it was finally the video driver that finally got it to stop

Posted Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 11:00 pm
nateHome userMember since 2001
the skipfree solution...

a) 256+mb ram (memory is CHEAP!)
b) at least a P3-500
c) good reliable harddrives
d) fast video (geforce, voodoo, radion) with proper drivers for your OS
e) Win2000 or WinXP
f) DirectX 8.1a (included with XP, required update for 2k)
g) hardware-based (not software-based like AC97) audio

-nate

Posted Fri 26 Apr 02 @ 12:02 am
the above requirements seem ridiculous. I have a celo 800, 256mb, SBlive, win 2000, and I still have skipping problems. To me, this seems serious

Posted Sat 27 Apr 02 @ 7:26 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well, my laptop is an amd 800 stock out of the box with 128 meg of ram & windows ME. It performs flawlessly day in and day out. However I just bought Atomixmp3 for my brother, he has a P-3 800 with 256 ram, also running ME. His skips like crazy. I'm trying to help him work through this, but after updating audio and video drivers, still skipping. Hopefully I'll stumble across the answer, when I do I'll let you know.

Posted Sun 28 Apr 02 @ 6:24 pm
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
It is strange, I have also noticed that on some people's systems, Atomix will skip, and on others, it won't. I skip a little on mine and yet my specs aren't really that bad:

1.12GHz AMD Athlon Processor
786MB SD-RAM
3x40GB Maxtor & Samsung IDE HDD
Acer DVP1648A DVD-ROM drive
nVidia GE-Force 2 MX400 AGP card with 64MB DDR
KT133 VIA Chipset
Software-based DMA driver/utility
Up to 100Mbps disk read speeds
Windows 2000 Server with SP2

I had no problems with version 2.0, but 2.1 just won't give up skipping. I think it's a bit of a coding problem.

Posted Mon 29 Apr 02 @ 8:43 am
Well i recently put my system onto Windows 2000 Professional from Windows 98, i had no problems with skipping on Windows 98, i was totally shell shocked to start getting a skipping problem on Windows 2000, which should be able to handle everything correctly,

my spec is:

PII 400Mhz (yes this cud do with being upgraded, but as with this thread, there are people with lesser systems without a problem, and as i said i never had a problem on w98)
Voodoo 3 graphics card
SBLive soundcard
256MB of RAM
20gb hdd
DirectX8.1 installed
Service Pack 2 installed

I'm going to upgrade my graphics card drivers, but i doubt this is the problem to be fair, but if it is i will let you know how i get on.

This problem does seem quite bizarre and not down to a consistant problem, it all seems quite random!

I've even re-installed the application hoping that wud fix it, incase it was a corrupt DLL or something, but nope!

Posted Tue 14 May 02 @ 10:15 pm
forgot to log in, above post was by me.

Posted Tue 14 May 02 @ 10:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)