Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Better Documentation

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

KoshHome userMember since 2002
Are there any plans for better documentation for this software?

I have encountered several problems which could have been avoided had there been a decent help file or a more complete (and searchable) online manual.

I don't have the time to read every post in every forum, and a consise "tips" section would have been invaluable to me.

Today's problem was that the "internal database" decided to become corrupt. As a new user, I have no idea what an internal database does, exactly. Until it died, I didn't even know it existed -- I know now, of course because I searched the forums.

It's common sense to back up keyboard shortcuts and the skins folder, but if the database is prone to corruption, there should be some sort of warning or tip in the documentation for newbies.

I've also read posts about the volume issue and enabling the "multi-instance" feature... Issues like these should really have their own place in the documentation, even if it's a small section of tips in the FAQ.

I'm starting a list for my own reference, but I have only had the software for a short time and I imagine there will be other surprises in store for me.

Is there any other file or folder, other than the following, that should be backed-up?

1. The install file
2. The skins folder
3. Internal Database
4. Any Keyboard shortcuts
5. Any add-ons you download

TIA for any more tips...

Kosh

Posted Thu 18 Apr 02 @ 2:46 am
- Serial Number !!!! (BE careful !!!!!!!)
- Email you received from Creavante (with your purchase ref. #)

Posted Thu 18 Apr 02 @ 5:03 am
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Your shortcuts too, cause every time you upgrade your version, will install the default shortcuts!
Bye,
Dj Coc "Argentina"

Posted Thu 18 Apr 02 @ 5:15 am
KoshHome userMember since 2002
Yes-- the serial number and order reference number. That's standard procedure for me, but I'd never think to back up any files that are in the atomixmp3 folder unless I had created them (like the shortcuts file) or was aware that they would be overwritten every time I used the program. The database files (I noticed there are 2 that should be backed up) aren't immediately apparent to a newbie...

Thanks for responding. That's a good thing to remind people and just the sort of thing that should be in the next support manual or faq...

Can anybody think of anything else I should be aware of regarding the operation of the program... stuff that's nowhere to be found except buried in these forums somewhere?

Well, I've been mixing my a$$ off and now it's time to sleep.

Screw it, what's one more hour...

Posted Thu 18 Apr 02 @ 5:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)