Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: refresh rate

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

karelHome userMember since 2002
hi, is there a way to get atomixmp3 running at 1024x768 at any higher refresh rate than the default of 60? i really love the new 1024x768 skins, but my eyes suffer if i use them too long! my vid card and monitor can handle up to 85 hz at 1024x768. it would be nice if i could have atomix running at an optimum refresh rate. thanks

- Karel

Posted Fri 05 Apr 02 @ 3:33 am
Thats what I have noticed ... but with the new skins .... atomix will run at 1024 x 768 either way ... so maximizing it does not make a difference.

Solution ... use a dark coloured skin like the JN Classic or Darkfun due to their lack of bright colours which will be easier on the eyes.

-- Dave --

Posted Fri 05 Apr 02 @ 5:08 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The refresh rate is controlled by Windows Display Properties, not any program that changes the screen resolution. Goto Control Panel, Display Properties and click on the Settings tab. Set your resolution to 1024x768 and whatever color depth you want (personally, I dont use anything less then 32 bit for my GF3). Apply the change then click on the Advanced button. Click on the Adapter tab and manually set your refresh rate, then apply. Windows will now automatically default to the refresh rate you set whenever it switches to that resolution.
If so some reason you cant choose the refresh rate of 85hz that you say your monitor can display, then use a lower color depth, like 24, or 16 bits. Depending on your graphics card, one or both options may be available. Then see if you can set the refresh rate. If you STILL can't set a 85Hz refresh rate, check to make sure that both your monitor and graphics cards is capable of supporting 1024x768@85Hz. If they both are, then Windows isn't correctly identifing all the available resolution/refresh rate combinations your monitor and graphics card is capable of, which happens alot.
You can download a program called HZ Tool @ http://hem.spray.se/doxx/ and use that to manually set refresh rates for any give resolution. Beware though, you sould be absolutely sure your monitor and graphics card are capable of useing whatever settings you set, because the program does not check to see if your settings are valid. So again, make absolutely sure your monitor and graphics card can use those settings or you may damage your monitor.

Posted Sun 07 Apr 02 @ 8:07 pm
karelHome userMember since 2002
you idiot, you think i would be complaining about the refresh rate if i didnt know how to set it up in my OS?

FYI, i have tested and reproduced this problem on another computer of mine. i will be more thorough this time in my explaination....

1- display properties: settings
2- selected 32 bit, 1024x768
3- clicked on advanced , monitor
4- selected 120 hz(highest this machine can go at this res.)
5- applied all changes
6- pressed the menu button on my sony trinitron 19" monitor (BAM! it says 120hz!)
7- run atomixmp3
8- loaded the 'jn_classic 1024x768 v2.1' skin, Maximize atomix
9- a slight pause occurs while the monitor adjusts
10-new skin is loaded, now hit the menu button on my monitor (BAM! its now 60hz!!)

i run different games all the time on this machine, and they never have the problem that atomix is having. its almost like the developers hardcoded it to run at 60hz.

there goes my vision, i need new glasses

- Karel

Posted Tue 09 Apr 02 @ 9:39 pm
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Let me see.. this is the Technical Support forum, not the bugs report forum. You asked if there was a way to get Atomix to run at a higher refresh rate and I told you 2 different methods, one of which will work no matter what. (Heres a hint, HZ Tool) You never stated you didn't know how to set refresh rates, yet you were asking how to set it with Atomix.

If you knew how to set the refresh rate and Atomix was refusing to adhere to it, then what you encountered was a bug, not a problem for others to help you with. Before you go calling others idiot, you sould look at your own statements first.

Posted Tue 09 Apr 02 @ 10:30 pm
yeah! i asked if there was a way to get atomix to run at a higher refresh rate thinking there could be some hidden setting i could take advantage of. atomix switches over to 60hz no matter what changes are done in the OS, that is a fact. because it was fact, i assumed it was known by the developers. so i did not bother to waste time to mention that i knew how to tie my shoes and custom config my display settings. i wrote a question dealing with the heart of the matter, and i got a reply that was two steps back (not to mention insulting). the way i originally saw it, the setting was a feature and not a bug. after further testing, i have since written a post in the bug forum about this problem. it is a problem for me, but not for many people. everyones eyes are different. hopefully, the developers will listen and include more optimum refresh rates in future versions of atomixmp3.

- Karel

Posted Wed 10 Apr 02 @ 12:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)