Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Dual Soundcard Woes

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey there. using 2.0, I have an evil Dell with a Built In Crystal WDM audio (blah, it works okay) and I installed a second card, an SB 32 AWE ISA.

When I use the built in card for the main speakers, it plays fine over the speakers, but the AWE32 cuts in and out at 2 second intervals or so.

When I use the AWE 32 for the main speakers, they cut in and out every 2 seconds as well, but the monitors audio is also very low quality (stuttering)

In short:

The AWE 32 card cuts in and out no matter what (even if I set Atomix to use it as the only card in "one sound card" mode)

The Crystal WDM Audio (Built In) plays fine if it's assigned to tbe the main speakers, but garbles the audio if it's selected as the monitor.

Posted Tue 12 Mar 02 @ 4:52 am
I know this because we use Dells at my place of business (I am a PC Tech and I'm a DJ) disable that internal sound card totally and do not use it at all. Buy another PCI sound card. Remove all of the software and drivers associated with the AWE32 sound card and take it out of the system. Install the new PCI sound card into your Dell and load the drivers for it. Put the AWE32 card back into the system and re-load the drivers.
If this does not work and the ISA sound card still cuts out then you most likely need to go get yourself another PCI sound card.
PCI = 32 bit interface
ISA = 16 bit interface
You are doing yourself a disservice by using a 16 bit interface for sound....

Hope it helps!
DJ Noyes

Posted Wed 13 Mar 02 @ 5:02 pm
Sounds like a deal. I'm also a DJ, computer technician, etc... But newer ISA slots are 32 bit... Why do you think they call it an AWE 32??? It does run at a slower clock speed than PCI cards though.

I'll give it a try when I can afford a pair of PCI Soundcards. I'd really rather just get a SB Live and go 3D if I'm going to need to invest in hardware.

Posted Sat 16 Mar 02 @ 9:36 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)