Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hate to ask again... SBLive! problems...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I know this has been asked more times than most people care to remember but without the search function on this forum I am finding it impossible to find the topic that covered this problem...

I am using Windows XP and a SoundBlaster Live! Value 3D soundcard. Ever since I upgraded to XP I have had problems with my soundcard. Whatever drivers I used, AudioHQ (where you turn on 4 speaker mode) kept on crashing after being used a few times, meaning I lost 4 speaker mode and therefore could not use the 'monitor' function in Atomix.

I have ordered the WinXP Software+Driver CD from Creative which claims to have all the different drivers and software needed that are no longer available on the Creative site, but until I receive the CD (two weeks) I still want to use the monitoring function. I found Live!Ware 3 on the internet for Windows XP and downloaded that, as it is meant to get all Live! cards working under XP with all available functions. Live!Ware 3 does indeed work and I now have AudioHQ working, allowing me to activate 4 speaker mode.

The problem is, although it is all connected up properly (front output to speakers, rear output to headphones) and I have set up the audio configuration correctly in Atomix (3D card+Speakers/headphones) and I know exactly how to use the monitoring function in Atomix (I used to use it all the time when using my Live! card on WinME...) I have the following problem: I am getting the front output from my speakers - which is correct - but I'm also getting the front output into my headphones (this is not a hardware/wiring problem, it IS wired up correctly). If I load up Creative AudioHQ and do a 'test' on 4 speaker mode, I get the same problem; with the test voice saying "front left, front right" being heard from my speakers AND headphones, with "rear left, rear right" only being heard in my headphones but very quietly and slightly distorted. When using Atomix in '3D card - speakers/headphones' mode the sound is distorted from speakers and headphones, but fine when I return the audio configuration to 'one soundcard - speakers'.

Is their something wrongly set up or is it a driver problem? Is anyone else having problems with their Live! card in Windows XP?

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it as I need the monitoring function working ASAP for various reasons. If you help me I'll buy you a pint down the local. ;o)

Thanks.

MiXmAsTeR

Posted Mon 04 Feb 02 @ 3:13 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Did you set the output to "quadrophonic speakers" in the windows system settings?

Posted Mon 04 Feb 02 @ 6:44 pm
Actually I had done, yes, and found that that was the problem for myself just after I wrote that message!

Thanks anyway mama.

I can get back to my mixing now, excellent.

Posted Mon 04 Feb 02 @ 7:38 pm
Great, those quadrophonic speakers, but the extra pair of boxes/head phones will produce the same sound as on the other boxes/head phones. I'd rather plug my headphones into deck A or B without disturbing the sound that is playing on my boxes, in order to listen to a song before the actual mixing, or to set the cue or something.

If you know what I mean..

Posted Sat 08 Jun 02 @ 10:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)