Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: PII 233 64mb ram 3.2gb HD

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

^^^^ can anyone tell me if this would run atomix alright? im about to purchase this laptop but i need to make sure it runs the program

Posted Sat 02 Feb 02 @ 3:24 am
it does have a sound card also

Posted Sat 02 Feb 02 @ 3:25 am
My guess would be that it would work, but first of all, 3.2gb isn't very much space for mp3s and software. Atomixmp3 may skip, and lag because of the 64mb ram, and the slow processor. Personally, I would advise you not to get this laptop if its main use is for atomixmp3. There is no chance that the laptop will be able to play cds in atomixmp3, since my computer lags in atomixmp3 with two tracks on one cd each loaded into one of the players, and I have PIII 600mhz, 384mb ram, 40 gig hard drive, and I run this in hardware mode! I STRONGLY advise you not to get this laptop if its primary use is for atomixmp3. This laptop would be horrible for gigs, so if you decide to get the laptop, don't use it in gigs, since the low ram may cause it too freeze and skip.

Hope I Could Be Of Assistance:)

-MixMasterMatt

Posted Sat 02 Feb 02 @ 5:08 am
Thanks matt! ill keep looking for a beta latop :-)

Posted Sat 02 Feb 02 @ 6:23 am
Personally I reckon the RAM is quite adequate, but the processor speed is likely to be an issue, as is the (relatively) small hard-drive if you want to store a reasonable number of MP3s. I would think anything with at least a 400MHz processor, 64MB RAM and an 8GB hard-drive would be quite adequate. Naturally the bigger the better (when it comes to cpu speed, ram and hard drive space), but of course for most of us, cost is usually a big issue!

Cheers...
Swift

Posted Sat 02 Feb 02 @ 9:36 am
My computer is 1.6 ghz with 512 MB of DDR RAM and a 40GB HD ooooooooooooo yeah.... Atomix runs like a dream

Posted Sat 02 Feb 02 @ 8:35 pm
I had the EXACT same computer except with 160 megs of ram. It will run perfectly as long as it is hardware mode. When it is in software mode ... It slows down a bit and does not run as fast.

I understand that RAM is expensive for a laptop ... but unless that is the only thing you'll have running on it .... you will definately need more.

If you really want to get the most out of the system ... Run Windows 2000 or NT 4.0. Those Operating systems make the best use of the system's resources.

Cheers, and good luck.
Dave.

Posted Sat 02 Feb 02 @ 10:06 pm
I have two computers:
My old pc is a AMD K6 233, 190 MB RAM 66MHz, 3 GB HD, SB Live! and AtomixMP3 2 runs slow, my new pc i a AMD Athlon Th 1,33 GHz, 256 MB RAM 150MHz, 10 GB HD, SB Audigy, and AtomixMP3 2 runs very very fast!!

Posted Sun 03 Feb 02 @ 12:53 am
What makes you guys think you need so much RAM to run Atomix effectively? I find Atomix uses about 22MB of RAM on my system (irrespective of whether or not it is actually doing anything - e.g. playing MP3s!). If you were running Win98 you'd probably find the operating system would use about 20MB, plus the 22MB that Atomix requires, leaving you with plenty to spare out of 64MB. Certainly if you are running Win2000/XP you would want to go for at least 128MB, but Win98 was the operating system in question. Also you talk about running multiple applications? WTF else would you want to be doing while DJing in Atomix? Playing Quake or something?!? The only reason I can see you'd want to have ANY other application open is if you were ripping music from a CD at the same time you were DJing in Atomix. I don't care what system you have, but this is something I wouldn't do irrespective!

Cheers...
Swift

Posted Sun 03 Feb 02 @ 1:20 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)