Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mp3 to Mp3 conversion

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Here's a quick question I hope someone can help me out with. I have thousands of MP3's. Most are 128 bit... most are stereo. I want to convert any that are not 128 bit stereo to 128 bit stereo. Is there any program out there that can handle this task in batch file sessions? (without messing them up)

Posted Fri 28 Dec 01 @ 7:20 pm
Try MP3Workshop, as it allows all of this (and more).

I'm currently normalizing all my MP3s (1000's) through this application.

(www.mp3workshop.net)

Rgds,

DJ Corpse

Posted Fri 28 Dec 01 @ 10:52 pm
Oh Man!!! Thank You! this looks like just what the doctor ordered!

Posted Fri 28 Dec 01 @ 11:14 pm
necigarPRO InfinityMember since 2003
is it www.mp3workshop.net?
unable to load that page

Posted Fri 28 Dec 01 @ 11:40 pm
Actually, that address didn't work for me either... I just did a search for MP3workshop and went to the first site that came up.
Thanks again, this thing is awesome... gonna have to do a couple weeks of overnight re-sampling to get it done, but it sure beats converting all of 'em to WAV and re-encoding them.

Posted Sat 29 Dec 01 @ 12:16 am
i suppose you know that mpegging something that was already mpegged (as in 192mp3-128mp3) makes the quality significantly worse than just cdda-128mp3

Posted Sat 29 Dec 01 @ 9:53 am
Nope I don't know that yet. I'm doing a few hundred test files first, I'll put them on my work drive and see how they sound before I tackle the entire library. Thanks for the heads up tho.... Anyone else have any experience with a similar project?

Posted Sat 29 Dec 01 @ 4:39 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I resampled some songs to 192. Some of them were already 192, some 128. I didn´t want to scan first all my thousands mp3´s before sampling them, so some are useless resampled. After all, I didn´t notice a real better sound. I think if you want to convert a huge amount of songs to stereo, this proggie is real good, but you can´t make 128KBit songs better quality.

Posted Sat 29 Dec 01 @ 6:48 pm
Thanks Mama, my plan was to resample all the 192's down to 128. (saving drive space) Most of them are 128, and they sound just fine. I probably have a couple thousand that I ripped at 192 (I don't know why) It'd certainly be easier to use this program than to dig out the archives and re-rip them. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this, and how bad the files sounded once they were downsized?

Posted Sat 29 Dec 01 @ 7:36 pm
There's nothing magic in the logic, it's as follows:

- reencoding to a higher bitrate (e.g. 128kbps to 192kbps) does not change anything in terms of soundquality (they just take more space) [what you lost in the encoding from the cdda to MP3 simply cannot be recovered]

- reencoding to a lower bitrate (e.g. 192kbps to 128kbps) reduces the soundquality (the difference is the same as between two versions of a same song encoded with both bitrates), but reduces the space taken by the file [there is little to no difference between a cdda encoded directly at 128kbps and an 192kbps MP3 reencoded at 128kbps]

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

DJ Corpse

Posted Sat 29 Dec 01 @ 11:11 pm
Thanks Corpse. Your help has been invaluable!! I hope I can offer you some help on something in the future!!
This program has been the answer to many issues. When I was using a single souncard with a splitter to 2 outputs on my mixer, I foolishly encoded MANY files in Mono... Other programs don't seem to like the mono files... I wasn't looking forward to having to re-encode virtually hundreds of CD's. I know I'm not getting true stereo, just 2 duplicate channels, but the other programs seem happy with these files now! You have saved me months of effort!

Rick

Posted Sat 29 Dec 01 @ 11:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)