Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: installing a 2nd soundcard

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

does a 'standard' motherboard have the slot space for an additional soundcard? any tips on installing one? thanks-

joel

Posted Wed 19 Dec 01 @ 4:32 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
If you have a free pci-slot, you can install a second soundcard. You can also use (one) 3D-soundcard, e.g. the SB Audigy. Or use an USB soundcard. If you have a on-board soundcard (like in a Compaq PC), normally you'll have troubles installing a second (pci or isa) soundcard.

Hope this was helpfull.

Greetz, ikke

Posted Wed 19 Dec 01 @ 4:36 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No, no troubles! You can disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

I would buy a SB Live! 5.1. Since the Audigy was released, which is better in gaming and midi control, the Live! cards got really cheap.

Posted Wed 19 Dec 01 @ 7:48 pm
hey mama can u explain about disable the onboard sound in BIOS?? wat's BIOS??

Posted Thu 20 Dec 01 @ 12:34 am
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Well, I'm not mama but I can explain it too (I think ;-)). The BIOS is the Basic Input Output System of your PC. It tries to control all your hardware and to let it work together with each other and with your OS. E.g. you can use it to modify the settings of your harddrive, or your IRQ's. If you make changes in your BIOS, you can get all your computer to hell. To start your BIOS, it depends from BIOS to BIOS (e.g. the Phoenix BIOS), you have to press ctrl-alt-del or esc or just del or shift-del or something else (I can't tell you what you have to press, look in your manual) before Windows starts. Then you can modify your motherboard settings, e.g. disable your on-board soundcard.
Sorry mama, but I believe you can't disable it on EVERY pc.

OK, that's it. Be carefull while changing your BIOS-settings! If I explained something wrong, tell me.

Hope this was helpfull,
Greetz, ikke

Posted Thu 20 Dec 01 @ 8:50 am
go to the peripheral settings in your bios, and if your PC is plug and play it will say "auto" change this to "disable". Remember, all bios are not exactly the same. But you should be able to figure it out. I had a few problems at first too. But it wasn't long until i figured it out. PEACE.....8~)

Posted Fri 21 Dec 01 @ 7:09 am
stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I am using a creative audigy sound card together with a sblive
card and to be honest the sound quality is virtually the same.

When trying to install the second card be sure you are only loading the drivers and not the full software... i made this mistake for a while and could not windows could not configure both !!

STU

Posted Fri 21 Dec 01 @ 6:03 pm
Hy guys, The question is : are you using 2 3d sound card without any problem ? ( i mean about sound quality or windows configuration ) ? I`m writing this because i didn`t like the configuration ( 3d card and external mixer ) The 2nd output has worse sound quality ( I`m using sound blaster live mp3 ).

Posted Fri 01 Nov 02 @ 7:01 pm
whats the best and most valuable sound card. i presently have a sblive.

Posted Thu 06 Mar 03 @ 5:55 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)