Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Sound glitching problems

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

YodaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have a problem with sound glitches in Atomix. I used to have a Sony VAIO laptop which worked fine with v1.12. Then I "upgraded" to a Higrade Atlas Flyer 3400 laptop and my problems started. When I installed v1.12 on it I would get glitches during playback. They only happen infrequently and seem to be random. When they happen you can see the beat display actually freeze for a split second. I tried everything I can think of to cure the problem. I've put a list of things I've tried below.

1. Every combination of hardware acceleration and sample rate conversion quality for my sound card.
2. Every setting of read-ahead optimisation for my harddisk.
3. Increased the vcache size.
4. Killed all other tasks on my system until all that is left when I do ctrl+alt+del is Explorer and Atomix.
5. Created a new hardware configuration where all peripherals such as network cards and IR ports etc that I don't need are disabled.
6. Changed the boot-up options in msconfig so no vxd's or startup group items are activated.
7. Run dxdiag to check out directx functionality. (no problems)

Now I'm fairly sure its nothing to do with Atomix since I used to have the same problem with Windows Media Player. However by changing the things I've outlined above I managed to cure the problem with Media Player but not with Atomix.

I'm now running Atomix v2 and I was hoping that the problem would have gone away in the new version, but it hasn't :o(

My machine spec is as follows,

PIII 1Ghz, 256Mb RAM, Windows ME, 30Gb Disc, SiS7018 Integrated sound card, DirectX 8.0.

Has anyone got any ideas about something I could have missed or even what the best configuration of the things I've already tried should be?

I would be eternally greatful if someone can solve this ever so annoying problem.

Cheers,

Yoda.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 12:20 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Try to upgrade DirectX to 8.1.

What graphics card is in your machine? It could depend on it, if it shares memory. So you must increase the sharing level.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 12:25 pm
My graphics card is a SiS 630/730 but dxdiag says its a SiS 630 Rev 31. How do I change the sharing level?

I'll get directX 8.1 now any try it.

Thanx mama.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 12:45 pm
Okay, got dirextX 8.1 and it's still glitching. Any more ideas?
Thanx,

Yoda

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 1:24 pm
purplexHome userMember since 2001
No way! Ive got a PIII 500 128meg ram and a geforce running win 2k, all totaly up to date drivers etc. In hardware atomix runs smoothly. however in software mode you can just forget doing a mix without any distortion or glitches. The beats jump all over the place.

today im gunna try it on my PII 333 and see how it runs. needless to say im not expecting much.

whats really needed is some dedicated atomix hardware.
they need to get professional.

mixman andy

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 3:14 pm
Don't make any difference to the glitching whether I use hardware mode or not.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 3:47 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Well I had this same problem and I also tried everything, in the end it was my sound card. I bought 2 new sound cards a few days ago, no problems since. I am running windows xp professional with a Amd athlon 850 mhz processor, 320 mbs of ram. Honestly I never thought it would be my sound card but I gueess it was an IRQ hog.

Posted Thu 06 Dec 01 @ 7:28 am
Yeah, I'm coming to the same conclusion about my sound card. Just trying to find a USB sound solution I can afford and will do the job.

Cheers,

Yoda.

Posted Thu 06 Dec 01 @ 10:34 am
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Which kind of sound card will you buy?

Posted Sun 16 Dec 01 @ 7:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)