Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Looking for a good USB soundcard.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

YodaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Can anyone help me? I'm looking for a USB sound card that I can attach to my laptop for use with Atomix. At the moment I'm using the internal sound card and it's crap. Keeps skipping and produces too much bass.

What I want is an external USB sound card idealy with two independant stereo outputs and low latancy. The best looking thing I've found so far is the eMagic EMI 2|6

http://www.emagic.de/english/products/hardware/emi26.html

but it's a little expensive at £399.

Anyone know of anything like this that works with Atomix at a lower price?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Yoda :o)

Posted Tue 04 Dec 01 @ 5:22 pm

that is a nice little box you posted, but yes, lots of money.

why not just buy two USB sound cards and a USB hub?

btw, if anyone has a line on cheap USB sound cards, please post it.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 01 @ 11:59 pm

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 12:23 am
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
I am actually looking for PCMCIA sound cards, rather than USB ones, for my laptop - the latency with USB is too high.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 2:24 am
Thanks for you help guys. I'm may try the USB Gear sound card if I can't cure my laptops internal sound card glitching problem.

If anyone finds any PCMCIA sound cards I'd like to hear about them as well.

Once again, Thanx :o)

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 12:23 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I Haven't noticed any latency issues with my usb sound adapter. All I noticed was a real nice improvemebt in my audio output.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 2:31 pm
Please tell me what USB sound card you are using. Thanx.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 2:58 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I had the usbgear adapter, but I think it was defective. Then I found a Telex. It's just a single stereo output, and when configured the output of this device is just a little bit lower than my on-board sound card. I went to the windows sound set-up and lowered the wave output for the onboard card by about 25%. This seems to match them up real nice.

Good Luck

Posted Wed 05 Dec 01 @ 3:57 pm
RME makes a great pcmica soundcard based on their hammerfall series, latency as low as 1.5ms

Echo also has an adaptor for using their layla and mona interfaces

Wamibox is a nice 4in/out option and pretty cheap. I use it myself

Magma makes the pmcia to pci adaptor box so you can use any soundcard so that gives you a ton of options

few good places to start looking. I wouldnt recomment USB as it just transfers to slow and you will get some latency and depending on your chipset, a few glitches etc. Some people dont evne like USB for midi cuz they say the timing is bad, so multichannel audio really has to tax it. Its meant for mice, cameras, printers etc. Thats why they came up with firewire

Posted Fri 07 Dec 01 @ 12:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)