Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: installing a soundcard?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ok guys, i'm having problems with the soundcards. I installed a 3d soundcard to my pc but the thing is that I already have a sound card installed together with my modem. but my computer would not accept the 3d soundcard and messes up my modem. What should I do?

Posted Tue 02 Oct 01 @ 4:00 pm
The reason for this is conflicting IRQ settings. As your original soundcard is using the standard soundcard IRQ settings, your new 3D card cannot use them. To try to get around this, Windows is giving it other IRQ settings which are already being used by your modem.

There is a way to manually change the IRQ settings used by various hardware components, in Windows and in the BIOS of your motherboard, but it is complicated and can cause even more problems. Also, doing this would require that there are some IRQ settings free, which there do not appear to be. You can see the modem conflict when the 3D soundcard is installed by looking in 'system properties'.

The only easy way around this problem is to remove the original soundcard from the computer, and just use the 3D card. You do not need a second soundcard when you have a 3D card, as the 3D card has front and rear outputs which Atomix can use as separate channels - front output for speakers and rear output for headphone monitoring. Assuming you have put another soundcard in the computer for the purpose of monitoring with Atomix.

I had exactly this problem with a second soundcard conflicting with my modem, and although I got around it by manually adjusting the IRQ settings, it took a long time to do and was never really adequate. In the end, I removed both soundcards and went out and bought a SoundBlaster Live! card, which has front and rear outputs and put that in the computer. No problems since, except for Atomix sending the main speaker output to the 'rear speakers' socket on the soundcard when using a SB Live!, and sending the headphone monitoring to the 'front speakers' socket. Swapping the leads around solves this, until (or if) the new version of Atomix is released, where, hopefully, we will be able to choose between front and rear outputs for the headphones and speakers.

Keep me posted.

MiXmAsTeR

Posted Thu 04 Oct 01 @ 2:08 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
A problem could appear if you use W2k on an ACPI system. Windows shares IRQ´s then automaticly. The only solution is to either deactivate the first soundcard in the BIOS or transform your system to a "standard PC" wich could cause massive system problems. You can find further informations on the microsoft page.

Posted Sat 06 Oct 01 @ 10:47 am
ok guys, thanks for the advice first of all, now i have another problem. I had that problem fixed but now i still can't monitor the songs. Both songs come out through my speakers. I've changed everything now and still can't do it. i need to the to come out through the headphones aswell. pleassssseeeeee heelllllllpppppppp!!!!!!

Thank You,

Dj Omar

Posted Mon 15 Oct 01 @ 9:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)