Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: stereo or mono

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I've been using Atomix for several months now. Before I bought it, I began the huge task of encoding 14 years worth of music library and archives. Once I had the better portion of my mobile library encoded at 128 bit stereo I bought Atomix and a laptop to use for DJ work. I am using a single sound card, and a mixer. I'm finding on several songs that have very distinct stereo seperation that I'm only hearing one channel of the sound. (an example would be Brown Eyed Girl, the bassline is on one channel and some of the guitar licks are on the other in true stereo, however one of these channels seems to be lost with this configuration)
OK, short of trying to buy a second sound card for this laptop computer, what would be the best way to fix this. Must I go back and re-encode thousand of songs in Mono? If so, what would be the best way to do that? Do I revisit my entire collection and start over, or is there an easier way to change these stereo files to mono? Any thoughts on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Posted Thu 13 Sep 01 @ 8:23 pm
WhilyHome userMember since 2001
Hey Rick, leave you stuff in 128 bit stereo .....

Go see the USB audio adapter post in the "general discussions" forum.

Could be that your original encoding mission went wrong on a few tracks??? Could be yous sound card settings??? Could be a crappy sound card???

Good Luck!

Posted Fri 14 Sep 01 @ 4:34 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks for the info. Those items look like a step in the right direction. But, will adding one of those give me 2 seperate stereo outputs to the mixer? Am I using the USB device as one of the outputs, and the sound card as the other? If so, how would I set the sound configuration? Also, would the sound card output and the usb output be similar? Any further info would be awesome! Oh yeah, I'm using a usb mouse... I do have another USP port, will the use of the mouse interfere? Oh yeah, as far as the songs files having any problems... Nope, they sound great when I play them in stereo... They just lose a channel when played back in mono.

Continued thanks,

Rick

Posted Mon 17 Sep 01 @ 5:44 pm
And what i don't understand: why is a mono file always the same size as a stereo file, which uses 2 different audio tracks.
I've tried 4 MP3 encoders, and everytime i get the same sizes (Lame, blade,...)
Oh yeah, and as for your usb mouse , buy another one man! mouses are really cheap !
riven2001@hotmail.com

Posted Mon 24 Sep 01 @ 8:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)