Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: ID3 functionality in VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi,

I'm a VDJ-for-dj-console user and as such do not have access to plug-ins to answer my own question, so I'd be grateful if a full-user could answer it for me:

How does the ID3-parser plug-in work? the detail page for it offers no detail at all.
- does the file-browser section fill-in the title, author and comments fields based on what's in the files ID3 tags?
- if so, is that done at analyze time or is it done in real-time, when you display the content of a folder?
- can you use the search function to search on the above-mentioned ID3 fileds?

Frankly, I've been using VDJ for a month now (demo version then dj-console version with patch 1.07b when I got the console) and I love it as far as the controls are concerned, but IMHO the music management part of the software plainly sucks as is. Try moving a folder on antother drive, try renaming (thru VDJ's rename function!) a track so that its name format is compliant with vdj's "author - trackname" requirement, and you have to reanalyze the damn track, reset your cue points, and re-tune the bpm values!

I'm hoping that the ID3 plug-in would solve this kind of problem, and if so I'd probably buy the full-version.

VDJ development> are any improvements planned for upcoming releases on the file management side of things? is a built-in ID3 functionality being considered? I mean, ther's no denying that mp3 is the standard for music, and ther's no denying that ID3 is the standard for mp3 management...

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 2:47 pm
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I agree with you for the need for better built-in ID3 functionality. I migrated from BPM Pro, which recognized id3 and spent a lot of time editing, making categories, comments, etc -- that is now worthless in vdj.

I'm sure the plug in works fine for many, but the Id3 parser plug in vdj offers always crashes vjd in 2 systems I've tried it on -- one using win2k, another newer computer using win xp.

Posted Tue 23 Dec 03 @ 7:30 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I hate id3 tags!

Posted Tue 23 Dec 03 @ 7:36 pm
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I love id3 tagz!

Posted Tue 23 Dec 03 @ 8:30 pm
DJ Rick,

Doing a forum search on "id3", here are your quotations on each id3-related topics:
- "and who needs id3 tags??"
- "Just properly name all your files. Know your music!"
- "I hate id3 tags!"

A whole community of mp3 developers and users cannot be wrong, even if their point of view differ from yours. Parsing file names for track author/title is just an archaic, easy-way out. If you like it this way, fine with me, but please bring some objective comments on the table, because "Just properly name all your files. Know your music!" doesn't really convince me that I should migrate all my files to VDJ-compliant naming. I didn't properly name my files, a tool has been doing it for me, with the format I chose long ago, unfortunately not compliant with VDJ's author-track format. I also have music from some authors that happen to have a "dash" in their name, what, you want me to replace this with underscores? come on...

You obviously have something against id3 tags, but could you please put your "support team" hat on and just answer my request for details about the id3 plug-in or possible future built-in id3 support in VDJ?!?

I'm interested in ID3 tags because they are currently the only appropriate way to deal with mp3 information. All serious software that supports the mp3 format also supports ID3 tags, hence your valuable time spent filling them on one tool is not lost when you switch. I've ripped all my CD's to mp3, with info retrieved through CDDB and populated in ID3 tags. I've sampled a lot of my vinyl and filled-in the ID3 fields accurately. All this is lost when switching to VDJ-console-edition. Will it be usable if I purchase VDJ-full and download the ID3 plug-in? I don't care about ID3-editing functionality in VDJ, I can do that through other, free, software. I do care though, in the middle of a set, to be able to do a search for "genre=house bpm=118-125 keyword=jazzy".

Could some business-minded CORPORATE REPRESENTATIVE explain Atomix's official opinion regarding ID3 tags or should we just assume it's the same as dj Rick's? a full-product sale depends on the answer, and I hope this is still important to you...

Posted Wed 24 Dec 03 @ 2:32 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It took me 15 months to encode my library originally. I've now been going slowly back through and re-encoding the archives again. About a month after I began my original encoding process I realized the importance of proper naming. I went back through the first couple thousand tracks and re-named them. Since then I have made the effort of of making sure that my files are properly named. I have messed around with several different softwares that use id3 tags... invariably there are hundreds and hundreds of files that the id3 tag is incorrect. Or the contents are not properly displayed. Since I know that, and since I make my living with this music library, I perfer to just keep naming my files properly. Artist (cd title track #) - Song title year. That information, plus 15+ years in the DJ booth gives me all the information I need to know my music.
It's a labor indeed. But one that is certainly worth the effort.
I'll agree that just because I don't think id3 tags are very helpful... (it seems that too big a % of them are wrong) Doesn't mean they don't have a place. However, you should also agree that just because you seem to think they are needed, doesn't make that a fact either.
I have over 23,000 mp3's now. I ripped the vast majority of them myself. Each one has been named with the proper information. It's a project that will never end. Trying to find an automated way out in my opinion is a shortcut, one that I have found to be lacking in accuracy.

My status as a Voluntary Teamer has no bearing whatsoever on what the development team decides to do.

I just hope that as far as ID3 tags go, they continue to make it an option that has to be activated. It should NOT be the default method of opperation. I'll also state here that based on everything that VirtualDJ has to offer, if you make a purchase decision based only on id3 tag compatibility, it's your loss.

Posted Wed 24 Dec 03 @ 3:08 pm
On the ID3 concept, we'll agree to disagree :)

> "I just hope that as far as ID3 tags go, they continue to make it an option that has to be activated. It should NOT be the default method of opperation."

optional is fine with me. I'd just like to know how/if the option works :)

> "I'll also state here that based on everything that VirtualDJ has to offer, if you make a purchase decision based only on id3 tag compatibility, it's your loss. "

Well, the version I have (dj console) satisfies me in every way but the lack of ID3 functionality. So if I paid 90 bucks for the full-version, it would be only to be able to download the ID3 plugin from this site. For this price, I'd rather know in advance what it will do for me and how it works. The detailed description in the plug-in section just says "This plugin lets you mark up the TAG ID3 in VDJ." :(

Have a merry Xmas!

Posted Wed 24 Dec 03 @ 3:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)