Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Crashing problems after motherboard upgrade

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all

I havent posted for ages as have been working abroad..

Firstly A very Merry Christmas to all the team and the moderators who keep the forum sane !!

My problem I know is not directly related to VDJ but is one of the programs which seems to now give me problems, i think because of high memory usage..

Here is the scenario:

Board upgrades to a Gigabyte GA7 400 - L
(on board real-tek sound card)
Memory replaced now using 2 x 512mb PC3200 400hz Ram
existing CPU utilised which is a 2400+ XP 266FSB
Video card Gainward 5600 ultra 256mb
Audigy soundcard ( also tried removing and using extigy)
40gb 7600 H/Drive
80GB external H/Drive

Operating system Windows 2000

I have completely reformatted the hard drive and reloaded the operating system, updated Motherboard drivers and bios and also video card bios..

Re- installed directx 9.0b etc etc etc...

I have a intermitent fault thats driving me nuts !!!

When using VDJ or Flight Simulator 2004(another memory hungry prog!) things run fine for 5 - 10 sometimes 15 mins then the computer crashes back to POST. no warnings... the cpu temp ranges between 50-65c max so i dont think its a heat problem...

I have tried running only one memory stick to see if either of the new memory sticks were faulty but it happens in all permutations..

The video card drivers are up to date

I dont get any errors when running DXdiag...

I am beginning to think the new motherboard could be faulty..

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions of what else i can check or try before trying to get the motherboard replaced..

Any (objective) advice would be greatfully received..

thanks

Stu

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 2:39 pm
Since you mention having on board Audio try running with just that, or try disabling it. I trust you are using service pack 4 with your win2k box. You mention having new memory, are both sticks made by the same manufacteur with the same latency? If your old sticks are compatible with this new MoBo try putting them in with the new ones out and see if this problem happens.

If I can think of any other ideas I'll post, Good Luck!

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 2:53 pm
Thanks for the quick response Redman..

Yea I tried that... i wondered if the Audio drivers were causing problems... and i am completely up todate with the service paks etc...

I have just been speaking to the shop i bought the board from and we were discussing cpu temps....

My cpu normally runs around 50c at idle and goes up to 63-65c under heavy load... He seemed to think this was a little high... I have built quite a few systems in the past

He said 40c-55c should be more like it?

Whats your experience assuming you run AMD

Stu

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 3:05 pm
63-65c Does seem a little high, and it seems logical that those two Apps running full tilt would cause it to crash if overheating was the issue. But if your system was running too hot, the BIOS would be screaming at you with its annoying beeps! (even at default settings) Tell me does your system Freeze or reboot when VDJ starts acting crazy?

And allthough you did mention using the latest Sound card drivers, you did not mention weather or not you had tried disabling the onboard sound, and running just with the Audigy.

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 3:22 pm
Hi Redman

Yea i completely uninstalled the audigy and its drivers and tried running on board sound card...

Yea i know what you mean about the board screaming at you..hehehe...

The crash is a total system crash back to POST .. no warnings..

I am going to pop out and get a new superduper fan and see if that helps...probably the cheapest way to move forward and try to get to the root ofthe problem...

At least it will eliminate another question...

I'll let post the results in a few hours

Stu

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 3:37 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Maybe you encounter electric stability problems, no? Have you tried to run your apps with a "onduleur" (sorry I don't know the english word for it. I mean a machine that provides to you a perfect signal)?? I don't know if that can crash your machine this way, but it may be a probable cause, isn't it?

FRUiT94

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 4:30 pm
OjLenoHome userMember since 2003
I'd say that right after one of your crashes, touch the back of the power supply (where the fan points out the back of the case) to see how hot it is. You will know if you need a better power supply if its almost too hot to touch.

What kind of power supply do you have anyways?
I used to have a computer that would after 10-20 minutes of trying to play 3D games because the guys at the computer shop failed to tell me AMD processors require a 350 watt PS (rather than a 300watt), and the video card along with all my other drives probably bumped it up to 400 watts.

Anyways, if you want to test out the heat thing, Just point a big fan into the open computer case so that the air blows towards the back (don't have the fan point directly into the processor heatsinkk for instance :). If your problem ceases, then just get a better power supply.

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 5:32 pm
PS, I do believe that AMD cpu temps are abnormal above 58 degrees (from what I've come across in the tech tv forums anyways).

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 5:35 pm
Hi there

Just to update my findings,,,

well i changed the CPU fan to one of the Zalman 6000c copper units and it didnt reduce the cpu temp by much...
I am beginning to think the bios is not reading a true temp as the heatsink is hardly warm to touch...

But i have changed my video card also to a ATI 9600pro and so far i havent had any problems ....touch wood !!!

It seems the Gigabyte m/b with a nvidia chipset doesnt like nvidia graphics cards, well the ti4600 and FX5600ultra anyway !!

This seems really strange as i would have thought using a nvidia card would be more compatible than a ATI card ????

Life is strange !!!

Thanks for all the help and advice guys

Merry Xmas

Stu

Posted Thu 25 Dec 03 @ 9:21 am
Thats cool to know (about the incompatability). Interesting

Posted Sun 28 Dec 03 @ 8:44 am
@stuxxx;
That is odd, am I to undesrtand you are running some type of nForce chipset on your MoBo?

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Mon 29 Dec 03 @ 8:36 am
help i got tha same problem to

Posted Thu 01 Jan 04 @ 2:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)