Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: My first live performance

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well yesterday I played live for the first time at a club. I was using my computer with Atomix and a DJM-600 mixer which has internal effects machine. The club was fully packed, and I had the hottest time slot; 11:30 - 12:30.
It started out amazing! Wow, what a rush! I was addicted from the first minute. Hundreds of people dancing and screaming! It was unbelievable... And then, about 40 minutes into my set when I got really into it, instead of pressing the ESCAPE button to start the right deck, I hit the damn SLEEP button which was right next to it... Ant the sound went POOOOOOF. OMG! I wanted to hide and run away, thankfully there were two CD players and two turntables connected to the mixer at the same time, so we switched to a CD quickly while I restarted my computer.
Everyone still loved my set, telling me they were really amazed and surprised. The promoter told me he'll give me full 2 hours next time. I learned my lesson though, always have light pointing at your keyboard so you can see the keys, and disable that god damned SLEEP button in advance!!!

Posted Sun 08 Sep 02 @ 9:57 pm
manuelHome userMember since 2002
oh wow, it's almost as if i cared

Posted Mon 09 Sep 02 @ 12:14 am
lol@ Manuel and his abundance of compassion!!

but LOL@Abnorm......dildo!!!....."I wanted to hide and run away".....really Abnorm

Two turntables connected.....why not have used them?

Posted Mon 09 Sep 02 @ 3:27 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Manaul is a sh#t talking moron. Get off the forum if you don't care, fool!

Posted Mon 09 Sep 02 @ 3:54 am
Pfff... At this moment, you was near the madness ? A atomixer becomes crazy when he was mixing... ;)

Posted Mon 09 Sep 02 @ 9:02 am
nateHome userMember since 2001
nice.. congrats on your first live show :) The first is such a rush, isnt it?!

I've never mixed live with AtomixMP3, I stick to the decks when live because in most cases, dragging along a PC is not an option and I dont own a good enough laptop for it. but the feeling is the same... i have used atomix for houseparties, though.

I hope to drag my P4 desktop and allen&heath mixer to a party sometime.. there is so much you can do with atomix that you cant do on turntables.. of course the reverse is also true. atomixmp3 works out REALLY nice with an external mixer however i would say it's fairly useless without one...

Here's a piece of advice you may want to check into... for your next gig...
One thing I do for atomixmp3 is use a programmable button pad to control it. I picked mine up for $100 @ fry's (the huge consumer electronics shop) - what it is, is a small pad (kinda like a numeric keypad) that has 20 programmable keys, and it connects via USB. I program the keys on the pad to represent keyboard keys, and then shortcut those to atomixmp3 functions. I put my pad right next to the mixer, which is also right by my monitor. between the pad and the mixer, i seldom have to touch the real keyboard or mouse since everything is defined on the pad. there's no sleep key or anything funky i can hit that way...

it would also allow you to keep the keyboard/mouse more out of sight, making it look less like you are mixing on the PC and more on the mixer / keypad.

-nate

Posted Thu 12 Sep 02 @ 5:54 pm
Thanx for the info Nat, I will research that.

Posted Tue 17 Sep 02 @ 9:31 pm
_editHome userMember since 2002
hmm...very interesting idea. Im gonna look into that.

Posted Sat 28 Sep 02 @ 3:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)