Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New Laptop Info

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Guys/Gals need some advice.

Purchased Atomixmp3 now looking for a laptop to play it on to play at functions etc, have searched through the many postings on here and find myself a little confused on what to purchase.

I get the feeling its going to be a hit or a miss whether atomix will work or play correctly.

Any advice would be much appreciated before i splash out many hard earned pounds on a laptop.....

Posted Mon 19 Aug 02 @ 11:00 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
PIII, 850mhz, 256mb ram, win xp would be sufficient, I use my onboard sound card.

This would be enough but if you got the cash for more cpu and ram it won't hurt.

.:DJ Homeboy:.

Posted Tue 20 Aug 02 @ 12:15 am
I'm using a Dell Latitude CPxJ, Win 2000, PIII @ 650, 512 RAM, 18gb hard drive plus a second 18gb hotswappable in the media bay. That is one plus with this system, you can swap from a floppy, CD, DVD, CDRW, or 2nd hard drive all using the same drive bay without rebooting. (Don't try it with the music playing, it will stutter). Onboard sound is decent too. I use a EMI 2/6 for the second stereo pair. I have run this laptop live with Atomix for probably 60 hours total, no problems. I also use the same computer for other apps, but I have just bought a second one off eBay to use as a dedicated DJ machine. Can grab them for about $600 US. Drawbacks? They only have one USB port, one ps2 port. If you want more usb or ethernet or modem you need to use pcmcia cards. I keep a variety for different purposes, like a USB 2.0 to back up everything to a 120gb external drive.

Cheers!
Mike

Posted Tue 20 Aug 02 @ 4:18 am
Ive got a great dell inspiron 8100 that im selling right now. Used it with atomix alot. heres the specs

866mhz p3 with intel 815e chipset
30 gig hard drive
512 megs ram
15" tft display with nvivida geforce2go video card
8x cd burner

its in mint shape and has 2 years left on the transferable complete care warrenty that covers any accidental breakage, spills etc (really great for mobile use)

Also if intrested i have a 4 output usb soundcard that takes only a single usb port. Its a $350 soundcard

Im asking $1200, email me at infader1@hotmail.com or on this forum if your intrested or if you have any questions in general

Posted Tue 20 Aug 02 @ 6:35 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have had 2 of them. The first one was an AMD 800 with 128 meg of ram and win ME. It worked and still works perfectly with Atomix.

Posted Tue 20 Aug 02 @ 4:10 pm
laxskanHome userMember since 2001
I use an hp pavilion with a 933 cel xp pro . Its a shit m/c with glitches and problems but works fine with atomix. I think the secret is a decent sound card. I use a creative extigy usb sound card, cost £ 140 sterling about 200 usd. This makes all the difference and sound great vastly superior to the half duplex on board sound.

Posted Tue 20 Aug 02 @ 7:29 pm
Hi All,

Thanks for the replys,

Here's the spec i'm looking at.

Pentium 4 2.2GHz
Screen:14.1" XGA TFT Screen
Memory:512MB RAM
Hard Drive:30GB Hard Drive
Graphics:SiS 630/750 8/64MB
Drives:CDRW/DVD Drive
Modem:56K Internal Modem

2 x USB 1.1 Ports
Built- In 10/100 LAN
1 Mic, 1 Audio-Out
SBlaster Pro Compatible Audio
Glidepad with 2 buttons
S- Video Out Port
Carry Case Supplied
1 Parallel, 1 VGA, 1 PS/2 Weight - 2.7Kg

What do you think guys, haven't decided on the os any recommendations, the cost for above is £1044.58

Cheers

Posted Wed 21 Aug 02 @ 9:35 am
go 4 xp professional if you want stability (lol, v. imporant whilst mixin). mine hasnt crashed once and i bought it in january

Posted Wed 21 Aug 02 @ 8:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)