Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Anybody using atomix for clubs?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
I use mine for a club on weekends. How do you make youself look more professional, how do you present yourself and what other add-on equipment do you use (ie: keypad, the pro controller, etc.)

Posted Mon 24 Jun 02 @ 7:06 pm
I just openned at a rave event for one of Canada's top, if not canada's top DJ. I prefer to use an external mixer with atomix. The crowd likes yo see you play, and this seems to work. Even though, I find that improbably better mixing software, it turned out ok. Everybody loved it. The only people that ever have stuff to say against me using a computer are those Junglists who are purists and refuse to use anything but vinyl. Im not saying all junglists are assheads, but the only people that have bashed me have been junglists. However, i dont care what anybody says really. I play my music because i like it. If someone else wants to hear me DJ, then fine, if not...who cares.

piece

Posted Mon 24 Jun 02 @ 7:53 pm
NaDeRHome userMember since 2002
well as i would say if music is pumping and everybody's drinking at midnight they wont give a damn what ur equipments are like,i use turntables and cd's and nobody ever look at the equpiment they only need the music,sometimes when its really boring i just play a pre-mixed session which i do and just stand behind the turntables nobody gives a damn,i noticed that alot just play what they like put a up a good set or transiotons between each song,show em ur drink raise it up high,couple of screams a cigarette and they'll think ur the dj,it only comes when other dj's and dj wannabe's or pretty nosey people who like to shove them selves in the dj booth,or if normal like stand with their heads behind your shoulder,i hate those i always get someone to shoo them away,its not about if ur turtablist or digital or a pc user its about the music and getting the damn annoying people away and keep the music pumpin!

NaDeR

Posted Mon 24 Jun 02 @ 10:29 pm
not forgetting

____________________ ___''''''
(_____)______________|''''

marlobors hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

| |
| |
| |
|HHHHHHHHH |
|HHHHHHHH |

and a double scotch on the rocks

Posted Mon 24 Jun 02 @ 10:32 pm
damn the pic didnt work oh well you know what i mean

Posted Mon 24 Jun 02 @ 10:33 pm
In the end it doesnt ever really matter what equiment you use... As long as the clubbers are happy then we're all happy - and no I havent used Atomix in a club - for the fact i haven't dj'd in a club yet... but if i did, i would use atomix :-D

Dave - Aka DJ Atomix

Posted Mon 24 Jun 02 @ 11:03 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
The place I DJ is not a club but I DJ it like it is. It is a small bar with approximately 100 people capacity. I pack it every weekend. New this week I will be playing also on wednesday. Thats 4 nights !! ahh I am gonna have to quit my day job : )

DJ Homeboy

Posted Tue 25 Jun 02 @ 1:10 am
Well i am starting but i just mix with my friends in our home partys

Posted Tue 25 Jun 02 @ 5:36 am
It's perfectly cool to use Atomix anywhere. The chicks seem to love it, especially if you let them try it :) (Be VERY careful though who you let use it!!!!!)

Posted Tue 25 Jun 02 @ 6:19 am
damn you people i write 3 messages in one post and not one even comments,your breaking my heart,lol am bored so excuse me am leaving the country in a week or so,so i got alot of time on my hand to waste

ascoooz me

NaDeR

Posted Tue 25 Jun 02 @ 7:12 am
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
I play music in clubs, bars and general evening events, using Atomix, and one thing I realised, is the crowd that comes to listen to your music, and buy lots of drinks are the ones that matter the most. Of course, you will always have the competition checking you out, seeing what equipment you are using, and how you get the mixing done. Some will be very fascinated, and disappointed that they never thought about it first, while others will simply scope you out and go tell others about it.

I live in East Africa, and it's quite a new thing for most of the music-loving souls, which means the crowd loves it, and fellow DJs that haven't started using it feel a little jealous, left out and threatened. In all that mess, your job is simply to deliver the music, period. It doesn't matter how you do it.

I have realised that, using a computer packed with all your favorite [and not-so favorite] MP3s, is the hugest advantage you can have on a given prime night. There is no place in the world you will have that much music in a compressed environment, than on a PC. Bceause of this, my crowd knows to rely on me, with their requests, because I can go all out and ask the crowd to ask for any song they want, and 98% of the time, I have it. If I don't, all I need is 5 minutes and an Internet connection, and there it is.

About your appearance, we want to look as exemplary and professional as possible. Laptops make us look good, but laptops don't cut it for us hardware freaks. They don't cool well, many of the latest ones have no more than 20GB hard drives [which is only about 5,000 MP3s], and no more than 128MB RAM. Plus, upgrades and maintenance costs are much higher than using PCs. If they have lousy sound cards, you're pretty much stuck with it forever, unless you go for an external solution such as the SB Extigy.

This means you will go for the PC. Get a 5U rack, and pack your PC case in there. Throw out the CRT and go Digital Flat Panel. It looks good, saves enery and is easy to carry around. Most of the clubs and bars already have their own sound systems, so you won't need to carry much on typical nights and locations.

Just remember one thing, everybody loves music; how it comes out is anyone's choice: some like vinyl, others like CD, some still love 8-Track, some DAT, some Mini-Disc, we just love MP3s and Atomix. Never give any thought to what people say about how you play your music, because the club or bar is paying you to play it, and they don't care how you do it, as long as you rake in the crowd and get them to buy the drinks - that's all that matters. Don't care about the rest. Technology is there to make life easier, so embrace it, after all, that's where we are going. There's no one who'll ever compare to you in terms of how much music you came to the club or bar with, on any given night.

Good luck

Posted Tue 25 Jun 02 @ 10:27 am
You can't make yourself look professional with a computer. ESPECIALLY at clubs. People wanna see AND hear quality mixing skills. People wanna see how well you set the mood, how well you select the tracks, and how creative you are with those tracks. When you go to clubs, everyone is looking at the performer. And if the performer isnt doing annything but standing in front of a computer screen, I mean, cmon, who wants to pay $32 to go see someone use the computer? You might as well record your mix on cd then just play it and join the crowd.
With vinyls, it is 10 times more flexible to be creative. Sure, it takes more practice to beat match etc, but that's where the line is drawn between great DJ's and amateurs.
And if you can sell out a venue using a computer alone, then you really deserve a huge pat on the back.

Posted Fri 28 Jun 02 @ 3:07 am
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
I do not refute the fact that typical DJs look professional. But at the end of the day, like you said, how the DJ sets the mood, picks the right music, and plays with it to create the right effect, is what matters the most.

I can guarantee you, if you are famous for setting the mood in the clubs or at any other social event, you will get that crowd that will pay $32. The crowd that won't pay that $32 are the guys like us, who only go to see what amplifiers and sound mixers the club has installed, and how the DJ marries all that equipment together. Sadly as well, we are the least spenders in the clubs as well.

Women, and old chaps, who don't really give a hoot how you are delivering the music, as long as you do a good job, are the ones that come to the club to intriniscally have a good time, and spend more money, or get more money spent on them, and yes, you will eventually sell out at the club on such a prime night.

Vinyl is flexible, I agree, and so are cars, which is why we still prefer to walk some times. Those are just tools; every tool has its advantage and disadvantage. If you know the properties of your tools better, it will help you harness the tool better, to present a higher quality production. You just have to believe in and yourself as much as the rest have beleived in Vinyl and CDs, and tapes.

The most important thing is to get your crowd to beleive in you. Give them what they want to hear. Seeing is not usually as important, although vital. Draw the crowd into you, make them know who is running the show. Exude skill and confidence; think out of the box, and you will have them coming back over and over and over.

I have seen it happen before, and I have done it myself. Just beleive in what you do best, and you will be the best at what you do. We can't do everything, but can be a part of it all.

Posted Fri 28 Jun 02 @ 11:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)