Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: the skipping problem

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

Anyone know any miracle cures to stop the skipping while mixing........spec as follows

Sony VIao laptop
windows xp
256mb ram
Duron 1 gig processor
onboard soundcard and extigy external soundcard

many thanks Paul

Posted Thu 13 Jun 02 @ 2:29 am
Your specs are a notch higher than mine and I don't have any skipping-problems.. the general advice people are given around here is to update audio/video-drivers to the latest possible version and also make sure your OS is up to date.. (not sure if there are any servicepacks for XP, Atomix works perfectly for me on Win2K with all the available servicepacks etc)

..I can't really help you out since the skippingproblems seem to be a bit of an enigma, some get skips, some don't.. not sure of the source of the problem but it could be anything from slow/fragmented harddrives to memory allocation-problems (shouldn't be a problem with 256 Mb though)

Posted Thu 13 Jun 02 @ 9:50 am
It seems that the skipping problem is the ill of Atomix.

So, if possible, try with an another OS, with not NT engine (w98 for ex.).

Run a defrag disk and work in 16 bits display. Reduce the acceleration in song panel (Start/execute/DxDiag).

A french user runs Atomix on a laptop with Extigy external soundcard and the OS is w98se. Atomix runs perfectly on this. If possible, try that. Tell us the result. See you. :))

Phenryll

Posted Thu 13 Jun 02 @ 10:28 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
One suggestion that many have used is to reduce DirectX Audio Acceleration to None.

Grimm

Posted Thu 13 Jun 02 @ 10:49 am
vlk72Home userMember since 2002
I have the same problem, only on Win98SE it works fine, therefore is a software problem (OS based on NT system are stable but too heavy to run). I am a tech support person, haven't bother yet to find the solution cos waiting to replace my SB Live! with a Sonicfury ;-P

Posted Thu 13 Jun 02 @ 11:08 am
Ok, reduce the acceleration to none, but step by step.
Certainly, the NT engine is more stable to not NT, but I run Atomix on w98, nothing problem. Many crashs if you install more and more appz on that. Either blues screens or crashs if Atomix is alone. The optimal solution is the multi-boot.

Be careful: wME is the worse microsoft OS!

Posted Thu 13 Jun 02 @ 11:27 am
Hi

Thanks for everyones suggestions.....I would like to try and reduce the acceleration but not sure how to do it any instructions gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks Paul

Posted Thu 13 Jun 02 @ 7:15 pm
Hi,

It's not difficult. Go to Start/Run (or execute) and type DxDiag. There, in song panel (or multimedia), reduce acceleration. Try step by step.

Posted Thu 13 Jun 02 @ 8:03 pm
Hi guys.

I have followed a recent post on this thread about reducing the hardware acceleration in DirectX. I am running DirectX 8.1, and my standard setting for Sound is Standard Acceleration. I experience skipping in this setting.

When I reduce the setting to Basic Acceleration, I experience better performance, that is, less to no skipping, but I can't use my 3D options on the sound card. That means, I can't monitor through the headphones, on the rear channel jack of my SB Live! card. I can only do this after I revert to Standard or Full Acceleration. Selecting no acceleration means the card becomes a 2D card, with the driver being seen as an emulation of the real one.

I am beginning to get the feeling that DirectX has got different behavioral patterns with different versions of Windows, that Atomix can't overcome. It is no doubt that Windows 98 is a better 3D game platform than any other Windows OS, which is why less skipping may be experienced on Windows 98. Windows XP is a little better as well. It's Windows 2000, which I am running, that doesn't seem to implement DirectX just as well Windows 98 or XP.

I think the Atomix team may want to centre the skipping patch[es] around this problem. If anyone else has tested this on a different or similar platform, with a similar or different sound card, please let us know of your results.

Regards.

Posted Fri 14 Jun 02 @ 4:36 pm
Thanks for all informations.

It's a danger to reduce the acceleration to none. An other solution is to buy a second sound card for headphones.

Posted Fri 14 Jun 02 @ 5:51 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I run a Sony Viao laptop as well. It also has windows XP. I have had no problems with it, but I am not using the extigy soundcard. Does it work OK without the external card? I use either a stereo splitter, or I also use a USB sound device that gives me a 2nd stereo output.

Posted Sun 16 Jun 02 @ 3:55 am
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
I think have finally come to the conclusion that the skipping problem in Atomix 2.1 is a problem with the Atomix code itself.

I have a second Creative SB PCI 128 on-board sound card. I reduced the DirectX acceleration to basic, and routed headphone monitoring to the SB PCI 128 card, and the main channel was going to the SB Live card. After about 2 minutes of play, it skipped once, and then 3 minutes after that, and over and over and over.

Now, I have run similar and different tests on Atomix 2.0, and discovered you will get no skipping at all when you run Atomix in hardware mix mode. But that means you won't have gain and equalisation features, which is a bad thing, especially if some of your MP3s are low, or are taken off some old CDs. Other than this drawback, Atomix 2.0 is more stable than 2.1 in hardware mix mode. Similarly, running 2.0 in software mix mode, which is what most of us would want as we get gain and eq features, will produce better seasoned sound, but will also skip.

On 2.1, software and hardware mix mode will both give you gain and eq ability, but both modes still induce skipping.

In my honest opinion, 2.0 is a more stable and reliable option if you want to do some public DJ mixing. You may need to play with the master channel of your mixer console, and hope you don't send your amp into clipping, to maximise your eq requirements.

Thanks all.

Posted Mon 17 Jun 02 @ 8:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)