Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Building New System

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
I am building a new system by the end of the month and retiring the old one. Does anybody have any comments on a motherboard? I probably will be running XP Pro, any comments on that? One last note: I WILL be running an AMD system.

Thanks in advance.

Posted Fri 07 Jun 02 @ 5:30 pm
vlk72Home userMember since 2002
At least a 1.2 gig processor and possibly 512mb of ram (suggest 2 x 256 modules), 40 gig or more hard drive at 7200rpm, about motherboard you can go for a cheap but good ECS or more expencive ASUS or MSI, about the soundcard the SB live! is ok, I am soon gonna swap mine for a Videologic SonicFury (same as the Turtle Beach), may let you know about this card.
BTW dont use VGA or Onboard Sound! ;-)

Posted Fri 07 Jun 02 @ 6:12 pm
Hey man, the best motherboard for AMD ( XP / Athlon ) is from ABIT with raid system ( you can use up to six hard drives on defaul setting ). this brand is better than ASUS.

Posted Fri 07 Jun 02 @ 11:06 pm
Abit is better, that what they say, but me and my collegues we would never buy one again, too many problems and conflict. My best pc was built with an MSI and Duron and never experienced a single crash on win 98SE!

Posted Sat 08 Jun 02 @ 12:58 am
If you don't want to build your own system, goto www.djrak.com. They sell prebuilt systems that are rack mount and come with high end audio. They sell rack mount pcs, keyboards, and lcd monitors and will custom build combo racks with teverything in them.

Posted Tue 11 Jun 02 @ 7:51 pm
dude that djrack.com was pretty damn cool. expensive, but definitely cool. that one for like 2 grand rules. that thing would be awesome to have.

phatty720
dave

Posted Tue 11 Jun 02 @ 9:02 pm
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
Well, I am running a system I pretty much built from scratch, and aside from the ocassional Atomix skipping, it's been extremely reliable over the past 10 months. These are the specs:

1.12GHz AMD Athlon Processor
786MB SD-RAM
Acer 1648A DVD-ROM Drive
2x40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drives
1x40GB Samsung IDE Hard Drive
64MB DDR nViDia GE-Force 2 MX400 Graphics Card
Creative Sound Blaster Live Value! 5.1 3D Sound Card
Gigabyte Motherboard with VIA Chipset
Windows 2000 Server SP2

I have done several shows with this machine and Atomix, and it's been there. As long as it gets power, it will be there for you, always. The price was just right too.

I am currently at 54GB worth of music, and counting. I will be moving to 80GB hard drives. I also have a free PCI bus and an Adaptec SCSI Controller, so I can add some IBM UltraSCSI 2 36GB Hard Drives. However, you need to ensure you BIOS is always up to date to take your high-speed processors and new-age IDE hard drives. My board came with AMI BIOS, whose updates are freely available at the Gigabyte motherboard website.

Good luck!

Posted Wed 12 Jun 02 @ 1:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)