Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Help with 2 sound cards Win-XP

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I just purchased another soundcard for my PC. It's a windows XP system. I can't get the other sound card to load up. It's not even listing. I don't understand why it does this. Has anyone ran into this problem, or know how to correct it?

DJ Reidar, reidar@attbi.com, reidar2002@AOL-AIM

Posted Sun 12 May 02 @ 11:51 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Normally when you install any new device using XP it is recognized as soon as you power up. Try going into add/remove new hardware. If it is not listed I am not sure what to say. Have you checked in your device manager to see if it is listed?

DJ Homeboy

Posted Mon 13 May 02 @ 1:52 am
Ageed with the above! But, WinXP is ver very self doing and maybe it will not recognize a second soundcard because there is already one. So if you tried everything already downgrading is the only possiblity (don't do this to quick, though!!!!!)

rodie83
(dont have the time to login)

Posted Mon 13 May 02 @ 3:10 pm
What you may try is this website below, a site I hit frequently in the line of my field of work.

http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/

This will take you to Microsofts Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). There you can check if your sound card is even compatible with XP. Since you didn't give specifications to the card(s) you posess this was my only thought besides what was allready mentioned.

Hope this helps.

V

Posted Mon 13 May 02 @ 5:20 pm
nateHome userMember since 2001
What type of sound boards? If they are creative labs soundblasters, you will more than likely not be able to use two of them (creative states this is not supported)

otherwise...

Install one soundboard in your system. boot XP. allow the first card to be detected and drivers installed.

then, shutdown the box. install the second card. boot XP. XP should see the new hardware. if it does not, shutdown again and try inserting the card in a diff. slot.

if this does not help, invoke the add/remove hardware wizard. if it still does not find it, the drivers for your card more than likely do not support multiple cards in the same system. in this case, you may need to try a different driver or another type of soundboard.

good luck!

-nate

Posted Mon 13 May 02 @ 5:33 pm
2 soundcards are tricky. I can tell you that from experience. I had 2 SC and fortunately they worked well, but unfortunately they didnt have the same sound quality. So, I would have one SC playing with heavier bass and lower treble, and the other one would be softer bass, softer treble and higher mids. Even when using an external mixer I couldnt cover up the differences. So after all the frustration I went and bought an 6CH 3D SC and used the "3D" option in atomix sound configuration. Since then I had no problems, works perfect!
Also if you are using big speakers and an amp and you have some cash that you want to spend(around $100), you could get a compressor/limiter to perfectly even out your outputs. If you do this, you wont regret it, I can guarantee you!
Happy mixing.

Posted Mon 13 May 02 @ 5:39 pm
What are these sound cards please? If there are same, wXP doesn't identify correctly these two (p. ex. 2 SB value).

Posted Tue 14 May 02 @ 5:59 pm
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
any windows OS can support two same cards I had two sb128pci and the system crached every tme i launched a song or with the basics sound of windows

Posted Tue 14 May 02 @ 11:55 pm
Yan-X, can = can't?

Posted Wed 15 May 02 @ 8:56 am
If your sound cards are the same, i`m sorry to say but any windows won`t recognise, just one of them. Try using diferent sound cards.

Posted Sat 02 Nov 02 @ 4:33 am
I had the exact same problem !!!!

I had an SB Live! CT4780 running no problems. I added the exact same card and when the system booted up and recognized it, it crashed after 1 minute or so.

Posted Sat 02 Nov 02 @ 5:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)