Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: LOL! Do you guys really think you are real DJ's? - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

relax.this is a post 2 years old

Posted Mon 03 Nov 03 @ 11:11 am
lol.. 2 years old!!

Posted Tue 04 Nov 03 @ 12:07 pm
Hey guys, let it flow.... This guy maybe it`s still spending cash and we are spreading the revolution of mp3. I do play and mix any type of music with any meaning you want to see my gigs. from turntables , to my PC. The matter is the feeling while doing the mix.

Posted Tue 11 Nov 03 @ 4:37 am
i can`t believe the ego of these new age DJs...the show is ALL about them and not pleasing the people who hire you....damn....i do what the client wants me to do...and if i can`t......i refer him/her to someone who can....thats why i had 76 fucntions last year....76 between march 1st and dec 31....not to mention the club i did wed and thurs every week for 6 months...the show is not about us......its about the clients wants and needs...

Posted Tue 11 Nov 03 @ 4:04 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
what dimitris said

Posted Wed 12 Nov 03 @ 3:26 am
DJ BramHome userMember since 2003
Anonymous you are so full of crap!
Atomix will be the next breaktrough of dj's mixing.
Maybe you can't use it...
But me in belgium know it's the greatest!
It's a all in dj tool better then everything seperate.

Posted Wed 12 Nov 03 @ 3:19 pm
i know what dimitris said......lol........but its fun to keep this alive...i think...because this attitude is still out there....

Posted Wed 12 Nov 03 @ 5:22 pm
leahcimHome userMember since 2005
I sort of consider myself a 3J. :)

Posted Thu 05 May 05 @ 6:53 am
SMF_V1Home userMember since 2006
Times have changed old man.

Imagine having to drag all those vinyl records around.
I think virtual DJ's are pretty kool.
As long as the person is playing music, I would not care if he was using old style dj or new world software tech. I am not a dj nor do I wan't to be nor am I pretending to be.

I would not let the thread starter discourage you. If you say you are a dj, so be it.

Jam on.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 6:22 am
LOL at bumping a 2, 2, and then 1 year old topic, I guess virtualdj ranks pretty high on google's pagerank.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 6:32 am
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
What a load of BS. I've DJed in "hot clubs" and the people don't give half a crap if you music comes from records, CDs, or a computer. In fact, except for the odd trainspotter, (or other DJs) they don't even care a whole bunch how you mix it, as long as there aren't gaps between the songs or terrible trainwrecks of mixes.

God... DJs who get all high and mighty on their egos are so annoying. It's not like we're saving people from starvation in third world countries, and curing diseases, and fighting for our freedom with our lives.

We're playing other peoples' music to entertain drunks.
The medium with which you do it is somewhat irrelevant.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 7:58 am

Hehe:)

This thread is 5 years old! ;) 5 years... lol.. .

It was made before VDJ where even made.. .back in the days when only Atomixmp3 where around:)

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 8:54 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Moderators haven't closed this topic in 5 years? Cool.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 11:28 am
:P i didnt look at the date.. thought it was recent hehehe. Sorry, blonde moment.

Sean

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 1:46 pm
cuttaHome userMember since 2006
actually its good somebody kicked an old thread, it gives a good perspective on where we are today in terms of acceptance......i went to a DNB show on sat and the first dj had a laptop with VDJ on the screen...he appeared to be faking it with TCV for the first two songs, then did not touch anything but his mouse and the mixer the rest of his set.......the dj after that was pure vinyl but had some strange s/w on his mac with two deck type circles, i don't know what that was for though......i have to say, that when the vinyl guys came out, the power and warmth in sound blew away the vdj.....and did the crowd notice any of this?..............of course not!

one thing i am doing is saving my stellar tracks as wav files for highest possible fidelity.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 4:57 pm
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Do any of you honestly think any of the people in front of you dancing their little hearts out to your music give a flying fu*k how it's being mixed? All they care about is that it sounds good! They don't care weather its Vinyl, CD or MP3! I think some of the Vinly guys might be a little pissed of or even jealous becasue they spent so much time learning and perfecting beatmatching the old fashioned way an we just do it witht he touch of a button!

Bottom Line - Software based mixing leaves us to concentrate on music choice and a damn good mix! Why waste all your time on making the to songs the same speed!!

Rory

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 6:19 pm
The guy that started this thread probably owns software now.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 6:33 pm
Rory05 wrote :
I think some of the Vinly guys might be a little pissed of or even jealous becasue they spent so much time learning and perfecting beatmatching the old fashioned way an we just do it witht he touch of a button!

Bottom Line - Software based mixing leaves us to concentrate on music choice and a damn good mix! Why waste all your time on making the to songs the same speed!!

Rory

Sorry Rory but I completely disagree. If you don't actually know how to beatmatch, and understand the roots of djing then you are in it for the wrong reasons. Firstly, NO software in the world is perfect at beatmatching. Some might come close but the better mixes require a little bit of nudging mid mix. Secondly, if you haven't got into beatmatching, etc. then I would personally doubt your skills, for example knowing at what point to start the next track in order to avoid clashin basslines, or vocals.
I'm all for using technology to improve our djing (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be here) but you can't simply skip stages that you think aren't neccessary, especially the standard beginner stuff, and expect to be on par with the jocks who have been at it for years and have much more experience.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 7:25 pm
sooooo true

People have a tendency to think dj software, or even dj hardware (w/ BPM reading and/or sync), is cheating, or "mixing for the dj"...

But matching beats alone, does not make you a good dj! Sure it might be easier to match beats on CD decks than turntables, or software than turntables... But there is SOOO much more to djing than that.
And even if VDJ gives aid, you still have to be the dj... right placement, nudge, crossfade, use EQ's etc.

1) Selecting the right songs for the right momemt
2) Mixing in at the first beat of a measure, and where it will not clash vocals or melodies
3) Mixing the songs in the struture of eachother (making a nice blend and flow)
4) Mixing in harmony/key to avoid a sour mix.
5) Build an athosphere and be creative
6) Reading the dancefloor to make the crowd move...

No dj hardware, nodj software will to that for a dj.. ;)

And if there are tools such as BPM readings, even sync... why not use it? Most modern dj hardware have bpm readings, both cd decks and turntables....

VDJ might aid you with organizing your tracks with bpm readings in the music browser (like vinyl djs and cd djs often write than on the cover of their albums).... Why not use it, will give you a faster access to your songs, and better organizing..

And yes, the initial sync might be aided too, both by VDJ and many modern dj hardware.. .but so what;) As SecretSoul said.. It just leaves you more time to be creative at your mix etc.. . Moving the pitch aint that hard, so its not like its a cheat... its just a time saver;)

And I really dont understand why so many djs are afraid of new technology... It only gives you the chance to be even more creative... and use it to its full extent to new levels of mixing.

yeah... some vinyl djs are "jeaulus" ... I guess.. But I think its because they haven't really tried it, and think of it as something its not.. Some "auto dj" thing...

But no hardware or software is a good dj on auto features... it takes a DJ for good djing.. No software can do that ;)

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 7:49 pm
What an odd debate this is! I mean, think about it -- the argument for traditional DJ'ing is saying something like this: If the technology makes it easier, then the technology invalidates the final product no matter how good it sounds!

But then, using that argument, why are they using top-of-the-line turntables? Why not use the cheapest belt-drive thing they can find, since it makes it harder? Hell, why not do it with eyes closed and one hand behind the back? Or wait a minute, technology was used to create all this music in the first place!! Why not use real instruments, like violins and flutes and such? But god damn it, technology was used to make these things too! We're left with beating the ground with rocks at some point...

I mean, come ON! This music that most of us are mixing IS ALL ABOUT TECHNOLOGY. Electronic music is a celebration of technology. A wild and crazy new type of music made possible ONLY by technology! So we accept that it was created with technology, but purposely handicap ourselves so that mixing it together is more "challenging"? Where do you draw the line then? How should we handicap ourselves 50 years from now? When we have the option to do live 3D hologram-mixing, should we shun that because it's "cheating"?

Seriously, beatmatching is not hard. If you practice it for a few months, it's really easy. The industry standard CD player, the CDJ-1000 makes it INCREDIBLY EASY TO MIX! And it's considered to be completely legitimate by pretty much all DJ's today. I think all these annoying kids think that they are incredibly more talented than they really are, and if a program can make it easier for other people to achieve their already not-particularly-talented level of talent, then it makes them feel small and useless. So they get angry about it. But come on, everyone's already said this enough, but DJ'ing is about making great music so people can dance and have fun. Does it matter how exactly you are doing it? It's the end that matters, not the means. And the traditional vinyl means are already pretty easy anyway once you learn it.

As far as sound quality, I do agree that vinyl sounds significantly better than MP3's, and even if nobody else can notice, I definitely do. But people forget that PC DJ'ing can be done with WAV's... and WAV's are just as good as vinyl. They really are. I highly doubt anyone could tell the difference if put to the test. I use WAV files only for PC DJ'ing, but I also use regular vinyl. I have some tracks in both vinyl and WAV -- compared side to side, when you factor in other things about vinyl, like needles skipping, popping/scratching sounds, etc., I think the WAV usually sounds better. Vinyl sounds great, and turntables are a lot of fun, but this close-mindedness is ridiculous. If this looks like an old thread, the attitude is very much alive among DJ's today, see this thread...

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74503

Peace,
Loren

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 9:00 pm
51%