Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Steps to increase DJ skill

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Steps to increase DJ skill
"Above and above"
---------------------------------------------------
Play no more, than 3-4 compositions the contract having identical musical style (that is rave, house, trance, jungle, hip-hop, disco and etc).Within 25-30 minutes you should try to satisfy variety of musical tastes. DJ, which one plays 20 minutes songs of one-type musical style, will not create energy. (If only your party not thematic). Your mission - to supply pleasure to all people. The alternation of musical styles during your set is named "soft change of a dance floor" :) to make the people to abandon dancefloor and to have a rest, is simultaneous thus enticing new dancing.

Play no more, than three songs the contract, which one lay within the limits of the same range BPM. Each subsequent composition should have increased BPM, making the musical unit on increasing to peak. You should be DJ, which one can excite crowd at the help highly of rhythmic music. "To warm up" your listeners, use an optimal power curve BPM. Begin your sets approximately with 100 BPM and magnify up to 130 or more, using different musical styles. You can create much more power engineerings by such way. The playing 7 songs at 120 BPM will not create the same excitation, which one will create a set of songs with increasing BPM.

Do not repeat a song more, than doubly for evening.The repetition songs is authorized not more often, than doubly for evening. There is nothing inferior, than DJ, which one repeats 10 or lot of songs for night. Always surprise your listeners with new music and in other sequence, than you did(made) it last night. Often repetitions songs - the sign of unprofessional DJ.

Do not play a song by duration more, than 5-6 minutes (that is full 12-inch version).You should play as much as possible of songs during all your sets. The game lengthy songs does not reach anything and magnifies bore. It does not mean, that it is necessary to reduce each song on the first solo batch drum, and to use prudence and to know how to feel crowd. Even if they do not dance, they should knock by pins of the leg in time by yours songs echoing, smiling and appearing happy.

You must work for the people. An overall objective, that the people have reached any of a condition. It is necessary only to look at them, on their response and be together with them (to understand their status). Therefore better to be easier. It is necessary to twist that is pleasant to you. If not it is pleasant - people will experience. When twist, simplly deliver mentally itself among the people and do(make) all so that it was pleasant to you. And the subconscious mind will make all remaining.

In common, train.Listen to music world class DJ and be typed of experience.
Because experience - main in DJing.
As spoke James Bond, "Practice makes perfect".
--------------------------------------------
Prepared by EJ Voland

Posted Sun 24 Jun 01 @ 4:08 pm
i forgot: mail to
ejvoland2000@mail.ru

Posted Sun 24 Jun 01 @ 4:11 pm
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
That's some good advice!

Not the best english, but I figured it out :D

Posted Sun 24 Jun 01 @ 11:52 pm
If who wants I can in native Russian :)

Posted Mon 25 Jun 01 @ 2:02 pm
corePRO InfinityMember since 2003
Let me guess: You wrote it in russian and then used some automatic translator program..:) Right?
Do you do any Djing yourself?

Posted Mon 25 Jun 01 @ 11:42 pm
DaSOHome userMember since 2001
Re-Translated by DaSO
This was so interesting I just had to translate into smooth english - it's good advice but very hard to read. Hope EJ Voland doesn't mind.

Steps to increase DJ skill
"Above and above"
Play no more than 3-4 tracks of the same musical style (that is rave, house, trance, jungle, hip-hop, disco and etc) per gig. During every 25-30 minute period you should try to satisfy a variety of musical tastes. A DJ who plays 20 minutes of one musical style will not create energy in the crowd. (Unless the party/gig is themed, i.e. "Trance Night"). Your mission as a DJ is to please to all the party people. Alternating musical styles during your set is called "soft changing" the dance floor :) This is cause some people to leave the dancefloor and catch their breath while simultaneously enticing those sitting out to dance.

Play no more than three tracks per gig which have the same range of BPM. Each subsequent track should increase the BPM, making the set's BPM move increasingly to a peak. You should be a DJ who can excite the crowd with the help of highly rhythmic music. To "warm up" your listeners, use an optimal power curve BPM. Begin your sets approximately with 100 BPM and increase gradually up to 130 or more, all the while using different musical styles. You can build much more excitement this way. Playing 7 tracks at 120 BPM will not create the same excitation as a set of tracks with an increasing BPM.

Do not play a song more than twice per set. There is nothing worse than a DJ who repeats tracks over and over throughout the night. Always surprise your crowd with new music. Always try to mix tracks in a different sequence than you ever have before. Constantly repeating the same tracks is a sign of an unprofessional DJ.

Do not play a track for more than 5-6 minutes (that is full 12-inch version). You should play as many tracks as possible during your sets. Long tracks that do not change are boring. It does not mean that it is necessary to change each track on the first solo batch drum. Use prudence and know how to feel your crowd. Even if they do not dance, they should in some way show they are listening and feeling the song, keeping the beat with some part of their body. (tapping feet, bobbing head, etc) They should be smiling and looking happy.

Remember, you are working for the party people. A DJ's goal is to make his crowd happy and have a good time. It is necessary only to look at them and see their response and be part of them (to feel what they are feeling). It is necessary to spin what you like personally. If you like it, your crowd will like it.

(this was a hard one):
When spinning, just mix music you like in a way you like that gets you dancing in your booth. Everything else will then just fall in to place.

Try to regularly listen to the sets of a variety world class DJs with different musical styles.
Because experience makes a better DJ.
As James Bond said, "Practice makes perfect".
--------------------------------------------

Posted Tue 26 Jun 01 @ 4:36 am
Yeah, Core was right about translate, but i corrected it by myself too.
DJing is my hobby. I think if it's you main profession then it's not so interesting and captivating.
Soon i publish my favourite playlists (i lost my notes). One of them u may find on
Forum - Music discussion - Mix playlist.
Maybe i will open a site (but I do not promise), so if u want to know about me or music, pls mail.
Thanx to DaSO for Re-translate. Now it's looking much better.
Do you know more forums about DJing or all only on ATOMIX?

P.S. Sorry for my english.
PP.S. EJ - Electronic jay (vinyl+turntables too expensive) :(

Posted Tue 26 Jun 01 @ 6:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)