Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Screen freezing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

rossyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi i use a Laptop Windows XP professional
Pentium 4 2.4GHz 512 MB Ram
And i Use the Latest Version Full

Every now and then the Screen will freeze but the software will continue to run!
The mouse is ok and you can even still control the sliders and buttons BUT! the screen doesn't move so although
you can move the Volume slider it doesn't move.

Any suggestions as i have a wedding on Saturday

Cheers

Posted Tue 02 Dec 03 @ 10:57 am
Did your computer's had HT fonction ?

Some times you must desactivat it for better result.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 03 @ 12:40 pm
Hi not sure what that is sorry.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 03 @ 2:28 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Try a search in the forum with this words "hyper threading" you will get an answer.

FRUiT94

Posted Tue 02 Dec 03 @ 2:35 pm
Hi I have the Pakard bell i500 Laptop and the Bios is crap it only has Basic settings so i cant disable it

Thanks anyway

Posted Tue 02 Dec 03 @ 3:02 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Same here, do a search, or change directories and the players freeze. I have to hit stop to regain control.
Now lets not start disecting systems now, my cpu usage is running 25-35% most of the time.
Afraid to gig with it, I was planning on using it this weekend with the controller now operational.

The other problem is beat lock is messing with the playback when engauged. It seems like it tries to control master tempo and on the 4th beat it makes up the difference with a screwed up beat either short or long.
Afraid to use it the way it is.

Rick

Posted Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 2:21 pm
@rossy

I did a search on Packard Bells site for an i500 with no luck. My suggestion to you is to try and locate a bios firmware update for your laptop and see if that does not give you more functionality and the ability to turn HT off on your P4.

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 2:53 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
What does ht have to do with the way vdj works? If the programs isn't specifcally written to take advantage of the technology than it does you no good.

Posted Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 9:05 pm
For some reason VDJ does not like HT, as you can do a search for it in the forums and find out. I know logically it doesn't seem to make any sense. it is like pong not working on Windows Datacenter because it doesn't jive with 32 processors. But users have had that problem (with HT) and in the past disabling it has remedyed the problem. So my guess is that VDJ makes a call to the kernal which in turn sends it to the one processor with its "slightly" different instruction set and it interupts this as an illegal function and rejects VDJ from its time slice causing it to crash. But that is just my guess. ;)

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 9:29 pm
There was a temporary fix posted earlier here which you can try:

Go to the path you installed virtual dj to and find virtualdj.exe, right click it and choose properties, there is a "compability tab" in the properties page and from there choose Windows 98 compability mode, press OK. Now when you run VDJ it should work better, if the gfx messes up you can try find the VDJ configuration and change between 800/1024 size skins and this will fix the gfx problem temporarily.

Disabling HT totally will make it work even better though, but i personally think HT and dual cpu's are just coming more and more common, so the bugs should be fixed asap.

Posted Fri 05 Dec 03 @ 1:42 am
RedEyzHome userMember since 2003
WHat about with Duron chips?

Cause this is happening to me aswell. I'll try the compatability mode trick to see fi it works, but compataboility mode is ass, =(

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 1:29 am
BTW - you think it could have anything to do with larger hard drives? I recently instaled a 120GB Maxtor DiamindMax 9 w/ an 8MB buffer, and this is when the problem started happening.

When I was just running it all on a 40G HD, same setup, this never happened.

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 1:45 am
@RedEyez

Your Duron is made by AMD not Intel like all the P4's with the HT problem. AMD does not use HT Technology in their processors, therefore this problem doesn't apply to you and your Duron.

As far as your HD question goes, the problem with VDJ you are having I can almost 100% say is not because of your new HD's size. (I Run VDJ on a Maxtor 250GB HD with no problem)
Since your have a new HD (and you did not tell us your system specs), I am guessing perhaps you might have installed other new hardware as well, that may be the cause of your problems.

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 9:54 am
rebelUKHome userMember since 2003
Nah i dont think it is your hard drive as im using the same maxtor diamondmax 9 120gig, and its fine for me

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 12:57 pm
I know it's not my Duron, as I have read all the problems with the Intel chips so the only thing I equated it to was the HD.

As for system specs:

AMD Duron 1100Mhz
768+M PC133 RAM
SB128
AC'97 sound
64MB DDR GeForce 4 MX460 by MSI
120GB Maxtor
40GB Maxtor

...and no, I have not installed any new hardware. Only the hard drive. I didn't move anything arond inside the case, either. I was running this EXACT same setup previously, less the 120GB Mxtor HD, and everything worked absolutely perfectly. Never skipped, never jittered, never bogged down, and absolutely NEVER froze on me like this.

I have tried the Windows 98 compatabilty mode fix, and now it is running a lot more stable - the only problem now is, that when I drag a track to the mixing desk while another track is playing in the opposite mixing desk, while the track loads and it is checking the peaks and valleys I have to wait for it to finish, otherwise, if I try and queue the track or play the track it will cause the playing track to skip. Also, during the load of peaks and valleys, the playing tracks visualization will sputter along, and not show smoothly.

So it does work, but it makes it a little bit harder to select a track to mix into because I have to wait for it to fully load or suffer the skipping problem.

Any other suggestions for a lowly AMD user. =)

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 7:14 pm
hmm the only other thing i can think of is check that the hard drive is running in DMA mode and not PIO r summit, as when i sometimes have two cds in each drive of my computer one of the drives must b slower then the other one as when i drag a track off it, it makes the playing one stutter untils its done checking it out, but not when i drag a track off the bottom cd drive it doesnt happen.....

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 7:35 pm
oh and have u got both the hard drives in your comp, and have u set them to master and slave, and maybe the 40gig one is slowing the new one down....

Posted Sat 13 Dec 03 @ 7:38 pm
Nah - they're both running DMA.

My set went well at the party - it's just too bad that I have to wait for entire track to load before I can start queuing it up, but all that aside I played the best I ever have. Too bad I didn't record it.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 03 @ 7:20 am
As for Master/Slave issues - there are none. I'm not a n00b when it comes to PC set ups. =)

Posted Mon 15 Dec 03 @ 7:25 am
Hi, I need some help like everybody else in this forum. Last night I tried to play live for the first time with VDJ 2.0 and unfortunately I started before the anybody got to the club just to test the operation. The software froze three times even after I restarted my laptop. my specs:

Compaq Pentium IV 2.4 Gig
Ram 702 MB
Gigaport soundcard
Windows xp Proffesional
I VDJ 2.0 and Traktor installed in my machine by the way thank god since I ended up playing with traktor the entire night since I couldn't use VDJ.
Any advice would be gratly appreciated since all I read in the forums is about how great the program performs.

Thank you.

Posted Sat 03 Jul 04 @ 2:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)