Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Master Tempo causing robotic sounding distortion
Hey y'all.

I'm having an issue with the the master tempo feature of virtual dj. Whenever I play a song with master tempo turned on and I increase the tempo with the tempo slider, the sound becomes distorted and robotic sounding. It sounds very similarly to how a Youtube video will sound when you change the playback speed. It only sounds fine when I turn master tempo off or if I change the pitch quality to 0 or 1, but then the sound becomes glitchy. I just noticed this recently but I think this may have been happening for a while. I've tried things reinstalling Virtual DJ, changing the pitch quality, and restarting my Macbook but nothing works. If there is a fix for this I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you!

also I'm using a 2022 M2 Max Macbook Pro.

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 8:01 am
How much of a tempo change are you applying?

Extreme values will affect the sound, due to the processing required. As you noticed on YouTube, this is not specific to VDJ.

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 8:16 am
To add to what @groovindj is saying:

1. Post a video of your problem and describe it clearly
  2. What is your pitch quality setting
    I pretty much use pitchQuality=4 and I find that pretty comparable to other major vendor's offerings in regular ranges (+/-16).

I have an M1 MacBook Pro (16GB).

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 2:48 pm
groovindj wrote :
How much of a tempo change are you applying?

Extreme values will affect the sound, due to the processing required. As you noticed on YouTube, this is not specific to VDJ.

This happens regardless of how far I push the tempo slider, even when I barely move it.

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 6:56 pm
You make no mention of an external audio interface or a controller, so then you're just using the onboard audio of the laptop?

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 7:41 pm
groovindj wrote :
You make no mention of an external audio interface or a controller, so then you're just using the onboard audio of the laptop?

My bad. I'm using a Pioneer DDJ-1000 and also a Scarlett 2i4 audio interface for streaming, but this issue happens even when I'm just using the laptop alone. That's how I discovered this problem

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 8:22 pm
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
To add to what @groovindj is saying:

1. Post a video of your problem and describe it clearly
  2. What is your pitch quality setting
    I pretty much use pitchQuality=4 and I find that pretty comparable to other major vendor's offerings in regular ranges (+/-16).

I have an M1 MacBook Pro (16GB).

Here
https://youtu.be/-Yb_jlSfIhE

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 8:44 pm
You're complaining of it sounding robotic, and your example has a heavily autotuned vocal?

After turning my speakers up because the volume on the video was so low, I honestly couldn't hear any difference when it was set to 4 (same setting as mine). Sounded like a robot regardless.

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 9:11 pm
I feel like it was easy to tell regardless of the autotune but I'll upload another example. I'll try to increase the volume but OBS on mac is kinda weird compared to windows.

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 9:31 pm
Honestly I have to agree with groovindj, that is not a good example, I can't tell much from it (maybe the devs can). The volume is also way too low for that video (I had to crank up the volume on my headphones to the max hear it).

Also, include a comparison with what you think it should sound like (I'm guessing you use a competitors software or have some other reference).

Posted Tue 25 Jun 24 @ 10:15 pm