Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stems Question
Hi All,

New laptop and really starting to dive into Stems 2.0 (amazing btw).

Anyway, I find when cutting out something, the song quality is degraded. Is that normal, or is there a setting I am missing?

I see the stemsbleed settings, but dont want to mess with those without asking the pros.

Posted Wed 19 Jun 24 @ 4:19 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
bleed only applies to stems v1. Are you testing amplified? artefacts present at low volume are negligible once you crank up the wattage to performance levels.

Posted Wed 19 Jun 24 @ 4:37 am
One thing I have found that can make a big difference is the quality of the file. There is often substantially more noticeable artifacting that shows up on a low quality/smaller size audio file (like 128kbps bit rate) vs a high quality/larger size audio file (like a 800+ kbps bit rate).

I personally tend to try to use FLAC files where the bit rate is around 800+ kbps because most of the time I feel stems are noticeably better and also I just prefer going a little overkill on the quality.

Posted Wed 19 Jun 24 @ 4:50 am
vasili55 wrote :
the song quality is degraded. Is that normal

Yes, it's normal - with any quality file. Separating music into its component parts was long considered impossible, and it's amazing that it can now do this at all.

It will never be perfect though, as there's a lot of processing going on.

Posted Wed 19 Jun 24 @ 8:04 am