Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Video Discussion

Topic: VJ Mac M Series, whats best? wanting to move on from i9 MBP 16"
Hey Peeps,

Wanting to start moving on from bringing my MacBook Pro 16" to my VJ gigs (honestly im just automixing my videos) and wanting to know if anyone has been using any MacBook Air's M series or MacBook Pro 13" to these types of gigs?
wanting to decide before i make the big jump to an overpowered mac to a mac that can just do the job of VJing Automatically!!!!

Posted Tue 11 Jun 24 @ 10:36 am
djsh69PRO InfinityMember since 2018
I also have an i9 MBP16 for VDJ and an MacBook Air M2 for Office etc.
I tested the Air with VDJ and it is handling the stems well and also video looked fine.

But I would not use an Air or a Pro without an Mx Pro chip.
In my opinion the basic M1/M2/M3 (without PRO) have to less video outputs, when using them explicitly for video djing.

Posted Mon 01 Jul 24 @ 5:29 pm
I've had my 14" M1 MacBook Pro for 2 years. I used to present 100% music videos every Friday and Saturday for 8 years in a nightclub residency I had between 2006 and 2014. Most of my Music videos (12,000+) came from Promo Only. I still have them as that was all I bought during that time, I can still play the music from them even without video output. I used to beat-mix them regularly and treated them like audio files.

The one major thing that I discovered using them with my M1 Mac was to change the videoFPS to 120 for much smoother output. I also have the recordVideoFPS at 60 and the skinFPS at 60.

I use the HDMI output at home to mirror my screen onto my 42" TV daily. I can switch VirtualDJ to output the videos to my 42" TV anytime as I did in this short video demo from January 2023 to show the multi-tasking capabilities of the M1 silicon processor. Take no notice of the red hue, it was a very sunny day shining onto my 42" TV screen and I just tweaked it to be able to see the output. Take note of the very smooth scrolling text on the TV no matter what I throw at it. It also processes Stems 2.0 easily.

My 14" M1 MacBook Pro multi-tasking demo

Posted Mon 01 Jul 24 @ 11:42 pm