Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Using soundcard of computer for music output
I have always preferred to use the soundcard of my computer as my DAC because

1. I am solely a bedroom DJ
2. I produce music videos when I "mix" most of the time and routing the sound directly into my recording software gives me best results

I have never been quite clear if VDJ allows that type of setup with every supported controller.

I have my eyes on some newer controllers such as the FLX-10 or DDJ-1000 in particular but wonder if computer soundcard support is a universal solution offered by VDJ.

Thanks.
UltraLiver
http://ultraliver.com

Posted Sat 01 Jun 24 @ 12:05 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If the controller has a master / headphones audio config then it is no problem to replace the master output with your computer sound card.

If the controller does the mixing, then it can be more complicated.
If the controller has a record output, that could be used to route the audio from the controller back to the computer's audio output. This adds some latency, but would otherwise be nearly identical to using the controller directly.

If the controller sends midi for all buttons and knobs, you could still use it with master / headphones setup by having vdj do the mixing. Depending on the controller, you may lose hardware effects and vu meters in this case though

Posted Sat 01 Jun 24 @ 12:16 pm
Adion wrote :
If the controller has a master / headphones audio config then it is no problem to replace the master output with your computer sound card.

If the controller does the mixing, then it can be more complicated.
If the controller has a record output, that could be used to route the audio from the controller back to the computer's audio output. This adds some latency, but would otherwise be nearly identical to using the controller directly.

If the controller sends midi for all buttons and knobs, you could still use it with master / headphones setup by having vdj do the mixing. Depending on the controller, you may lose hardware effects and vu meters in this case though

How exactly would I determine if the controller has the master/headphones audio config?

Thanks so much.

Posted Sat 01 Jun 24 @ 4:29 pm

Posted Sat 01 Jun 24 @ 4:46 pm