Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: ZeroDB TOO HOT!
Hi all,

I have a Rane FOUR and the ZeroDB setting at -12 (maximum I can go) is still too hot with my levels. Rane is known for being WAY too touchy and hot on the levels. Is there ANY way I can go to -20 or any work around? I must keep my gain knobs at 12' (I can't mix otherwise).

Please help! I tried entering a number manually but it didn't work

Posted Sat 09 Mar 24 @ 11:46 pm
Please don't make multiple posts on the same thing - you've already asked about this here.

There was also a question in the original post about track analysis - do you analyze your tracks before play?
Is autoGain actually enabled in the settings? Do you see the Limiiter clipping light on the skin engage at all while playing music? Are you using any compressor/eq type VSTs on any channels?
Like it's possible that the controller naturally runs a bit hotter than other hardware in its output levels naturally, but I've never encountered a controller needing more that 9dB of headroom space (that's normally indicative of gain structure /staging problem).

An aside - zeroDB is not a "hot" setting, it's (normally) used to create headroom.

At least one of the devs here uses that controller so he/others might chime in with more here.

Posted Sun 10 Mar 24 @ 12:13 am
Apologies, but now you knows it’s an issue. The Rane FOUR sums the tracks for the master out so naturally when two are playing it’s hitting oranges and higher, even at -12. When I’m at 0 it’ll be in there and almost above.

Yes I analyze all my tracks.

Yes I have auto-gain turned on. My tracks are all DMS or high quality 320s, so the issue isn’t there.

Is it just normal to have it above greens most of the time?

I run out of my Rane into a Behringer and then into a crossover - only way to truly get the loudest volume possible.

Posted Sun 10 Mar 24 @ 2:43 am
Are you using the metering on the controller as the indication of hottness/clipping or do you actually see the clipping light on the software skin constantly being on or both?

Posted Sun 10 Mar 24 @ 3:00 am
Software is perfectly fine. I’m barely hitting 2-3 dots on there. It’s the metering on the controller that is too hot for my liking

Posted Sun 10 Mar 24 @ 4:06 am
TBH I have noticed the VU meters not matching what I expect on at least a DDJ 1000 SRT before (I'm not informed enough to know the cause). What actually matters is the signal coming out of the device. Have you checked what the Behringer is registering (recording the output in Audacity or similar DAW like software)?

Posted Sun 10 Mar 24 @ 4:48 pm
If you just want to change how the VU meter looks then you can do this. I had the same issue on my MCX8000. Just check this will work with your controller

VU_METER: get_level & param_multiply 0.8

Or whichever number gets you the display you want.

Posted Sun 10 Mar 24 @ 4:52 pm
Look at it as just LED's being turned on and of, not really related to the audio
More like a Christmas decoration :)

And yes, if you want to you can multiply the mapping value by something below 1, to have fewer of then turn on

Posted Mon 11 Mar 24 @ 9:53 am
(Note, this is my opinion only) The thing is, the mixer/controller's meter output is naturally the first thing DJs would look at to determine if there is redlining/clipping. Having to manually scale that with vdjscript does seem wrong to me...the mapping should have it displayed right.
Do you guys or the devs know why this happens?

Posted Mon 11 Mar 24 @ 11:54 am
I was just about to jump in here and say that typically VU meters on controllers like this are marked for analogue signals (i.e. 0dB three or four LEDs from the top) but the Rane Four is marked correctly for digital, with the 0dB point at the top.

In other words, as 0dB is not represented by the last green LED (that's -18dB here) it's OK/normal for the LEDs to be showing above that point. Even hitting 0dB, as modern music is so maximised that they aim to push it as close to (digital max) 0dB as possible.

As long as the overload light is not coming on in VDJ, you're fine. I'm sure you'd hear if it was clipping, as the VDJ limiter sounds awful - on purpose.

By the way @Solstice are you referring to the channel meters, the master or both? Do you see any change when you adjust the zerodb setting (I'd expect that to only affect master, if any)?

Posted Mon 11 Mar 24 @ 12:19 pm
zeroDB has an effect on sound on Rane Four.
However, its vumeters ARE NOT MIDI. They are controlled by the firmware of the device since it uses an external/hardware mixer audio configuration.

Also the master vumeters are PRE fader (same as deck vumeters) and not POST fader (as almost any other mixer/controller)

Posted Mon 11 Mar 24 @ 2:06 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Why not lower your output more like this?

Posted Mon 11 Mar 24 @ 9:44 pm
It will not work.
As I said above, Rane FOUR has a hardware (external) mixer audio setup.
This means there's no "master" channel on the audio setup, and you can't control "master" if it does not exist.
Also, since I personally used Rane FOUR on my own gigs a few times, I also find it strange that someone would need more than 12db headroom.
I usually run it at -6 or -9db
Yes, if you overdo it, FOUR will distort the sound and will also output that distortion on master.
However, if you're sensible with what you're doing, you should be fine, far away from that point.

Posted Tue 12 Mar 24 @ 12:03 pm